Explorer beds

mushroom

I hope someone will tell me I'm incorrect, but in looking over the brochure for the Explorer it seems to me that only queen-size beds are offered for all "lower tier" suites. Even the concierge level lists only queen beds. This is disappointing and is a deal breaker for us.

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. It would be a deal breaker for us as well. It was determined that the beds in the "lower" categories are same as on Regent's other ships; the beds in the highest categories on Explorer are up from there. (?)

I hope that I'm not passing on misinformation. If so, someone will make the correction; I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly.

In a February 3 press release, Regent released more details about the Explorer. The press release notes that the suites on Explorer have king-size Suite Slumber beds. These are the same beds found on the other three ships. The press release said:

"Seven Seas Explorer, the world’s most luxurious ship, will offer a total of 375 spacious suites featuring the largest verandas in the cruise industry. Each suite is intricately designed with lavish details to provide guests with an ambiance that exudes luxury while also offering a warm and comfortable respite. European king-sized Suite Slumber Beds with sumptuous linens adorn the bedrooms, and oversized bathrooms are highlighted by rich marble and decorative tile."

Hope this helps.

This is turning into a repeat of another thread. "King" and/or "Queen" beds are not the same in different parts of the world. If bed size is important to you, suggest that you call your TA (or Regent) and get the exact measurement of the beds. Then compare it with what your requirements are. This should be a simple procedure.

We love the Navigator and with the exception on one Mariner cruise, have always sailed on the Navigator. The category we choose is the Concierge level...D. This category features "European king size" beds. Unfortunately, the Concierge level on the Explorer is offering the Queen size bed. We are simply too set in our ways to spend this much money sleeping in a small bed. I hope RSSC will rethink this - but I'm sure it's too late.

We love the Navigator and with the exception on one Mariner cruise, have always sailed on the Navigator. The category we choose is the Concierge level...D. This category features "European king size" beds. Unfortunately, the Concierge level on the Explorer is offering the Queen size bed. We are simply too set in our ways to spend this much money sleeping in a small bed. I hope RSSC will rethink this - but I'm sure it's too late.

Are you positive that the "Queen size bed" offered on the Explorer is not the same as what is on the Navigator? Just think you should check before cancelling your cruise. On all current Regent ships, the bed size is the same. This was put into place long before the ill-conceived "concierge" program was put into place.

It is certainly possible that smaller suites (that have a lesser fare) would have smaller beds, it is still a good idea to check with your TA. For better or worse, the way Regent prices their suites on the Explorer and on any future ships will be the new "standard". It has been difficult for Regent to sell some categories on existing ships since they are all the same size. There needed to be something to differentiate them or else they would have to be priced the same. This is something that Regent has been working on for a long time.

The future should be interesting indeed.

I'll try once more. In addition to the press release I quoted above, Regent has changed the language of the suite descriptions on its website to substitute king-sized Suite Slumber beds for queen beds. Here is the page for Explorer's suites: (http://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/suites/default.aspx#Content.). With the exception of the Regent Suite, every suite description mentions that the suite has an European king-size Suite Slumber bed. Clearly, the previous brochure and the previous suite descriptions on the website were not correct.

DaveFr - thank you for explaining this again.

Winner -- IMO it is definitely not too early to have this discussion. People are booking cruises on this ship -- cruises that have the highest cancellation penalty that we have ever seen.

Hi Travelcat , yes we were shocked when our TA advised that our 25% ( $9k) deposit would be forfeited entirely regardless of notice given .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I too am confused about the bed size on the Explorer. We just got home from the Cape Town to Beijing cruise on the Voyager. Back in mid December the on board cruise consultant hosted a special event for Gold and above Seven Seas Society members to distibute the first brochures for the Explorer cruises (no other ships in brochure). I was disappointed to see that it did list queen size beds for the f1, f2, g1, g2 categories. This was going to really discourage us from booking on the new ship. Then when we arrived home there was a new large brochure that had upcoming cruises for all the ships including Explorer where the beds are listed as "European King", the same as we are used to on the other ships. So perhaps it was just an error in the descriptions in the first printed material that was released?

I was reassured when I saw the statement that beds can also be configured as twins.

Yes - the beauty of Regent's odd sized beds is that they can be configured as twins. We do this on our cruises because the beds are not truly a "king" (as defined in the U.S.) and they are a bit too small for us. You can certainly put the "twin" beds together with separate bedding -- it works well:)

Since the ship has not even been built, less furnished, aren't these discussions about bed size a bit premature? Many details about bed sizes can change in the next 18 months.

Absolutely!

On the basis that the new Explorer brochure is full of flaws and mistakes - even the pictures of some of the suites are wrong, or at least inconsistent with the website - it is fair to say that it is a work in progress. I'd guess that there may a few twists and turns and "policy" on some matters might vary in the next 15 months or so

Additionally, there are no details for 2 of the speciality dining venues and one lounge has already changed name! I'd also presume that one dining venues will be themed towards Eastern/Asian options - hopefully so.

None of the uncertainty poses a dilemma in our case, we've gone for the Med in late Sept 16. I'm not relying on the brochure or website pictures - i.e I hope the balcony will be furnished and I may well be surprised by the furnishings, which, presumably, are only artist impressions at this stage?

Edited by Pies4u