Flags on balconies

ilovetotravel1977

So now that we have a B1 Aft-facing balcony, I was thinking of getting a Canada flag, just like I see in some photos of others with Aft balconies.

Just wondering what size people would typically buy. Obviously I don't want it to take up the whole glass, just a part of it.

Anyone with experience hanging these on their cruises?

Never hung one and never will. I see no purpose.

That is a purposeful and useful response.

OP: I've seen folks hang them using those 3M removeable tab hangers. I can't imagine a reason there'd be a problem, though perhaps ask your steward when you get onboard if he/she has any problem with that.

Edited by NoahtheRed

That is a purposeful and useful response.

OP: I've seen folks hang them using those 3M removeable tab hangers. I can't imagine a reason there'd be a problem, though perhaps ask your steward when you get onboard if he/she has any problem with that.

That's what I was thinking of using the 3M hooks. Thanks for the purposeful reply.

We've brought the car flags (also in aft balconies) and used a bungee cord wrapped well around them and the railing to secure them. Haven't lost one yet, but on Carnival at least seemed like we had to take them down every other day for "balcony washing".

IMG_2762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've brought the car flags (also in aft balconies) and used a bungee cord wrapped well around them and the railing to secure them. Haven't lost one yet, but on Carnival at least seemed like we had to take them down every other day for "balcony washing".

IMG_2762.jpg

That is a great idea. I have two Canada flags that my SUV wears every July 1st. We have an aft Penthouse booked for our next trip so I now plan on bringing my two flags and a couple bungee cords with me. Thanks for a great idea.

What are you attaching the bungy cord to? Are you just wrapping it around a post or something?

If you look closely, you can see the cord wrapped around the base of the flag pole before the clip that goes over the window of the vehicle.

After wrapping and pulling it tight we just connected the two hook ends on the bungee cord to each other. But yeah, either around a post or the rail itself depending on the ship.

What are you attaching the bungy cord to? Are you just wrapping it around a post or something?

I know it's not what some want to hear, but, how about asking NCL if it OK on their ships? Might they not have something to say about it? I know there are rules and regulations about flying flags on ships and what is ok. I'm envisioning hundreds of balcony dwellers now flying a multitude of flags. Flapping around the clock. Also what may or may not be acceptable in foreign countries. Just a thought, I'm sure NCL would respond if you asked.:D

Have you ever gotten complaints from your neighbors about the flag flapping in the wind? Those can be very noisy and I don't think I would want to hear that while I was trying to relax on my balcony.

Nope, we were on the breakaway, and when in port, we tied it to the backs of the chairs and it was up to the glass. We only had it there when in port mostly. It didn't make any noise, but maybe the smaller ones?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you post such a useless response? If you have nothing to add then simply don't comment. Its a pretty easy concept to grasp.

We used the garden sized flags when we had an aft balcony. It was the perfect size.

6&8

I still see no purpose. What's yours?

I'm sure it won't be an issue. But personally, I don't care for it. I think they can be noisy, they can fall off, and frankly, I think it looks trashy when the ship is in port and there are flags or towels or banners hanging on the balconies.

Some might flame me for this, but I'm only giving my honest opinion. I would never say anything to someone doing it, but I'll be honest about it here among strangers...