Port times and getting off the ship

njdunning

I am planning on booking my dolphin excursion in Cozumel direct with the vendor instead of on board but want to make sure I have enough time to get where I need. When it says port 10am does that mean that we won't get off the boat until 10:30-11?

And does anyone know how far Dolphinaris is from the Carnival boats? It looks to be about 2.5 miles and from what I can tell that is a $6 taxi ride.

Thanks!

Michele

I am planning on booking my dolphin excursion in Cozumel direct with the vendor instead of on board but want to make sure I have enough time to get where I need. When it says port 10am does that mean that we won't get off the boat until 10:30-11?

And does anyone know how far Dolphinaris is from the Carnival boats? It looks to be about 2.5 miles and from what I can tell that is a $6 taxi ride.

Thanks!

Michele

I think that it is fair to work on the assumption that you will not be off the ship before 10:30 - 11:00 to be safe. You might be off earlier, but why rush. The taxi ride is a flat fare based on the number of passengers. According to Cozumel Insider the fare should be less than $15 each way.

If I were you, I'd be ready to go as soon after the ship pulls into Puerta Maya as possible. They should announce what time they will let you off the ship as this depends on customs clearance, etc.. Just be down on deck zero by that announced time. You have about a 5minute walk to the taxi stand. But,if I recall correctly, Dolphinaris is back toward town, so that's at tops a 10 minute taxi ride.

Now here's the confusing part. I believe Coz just shifted to Eastern Std Time, so if your ship is coming out of NOLA or Galveston, you might have some time issues since Carnival doesn't typically adjust to port time. If you're on an Eastern time zone based ship, ship time should be the same as Coz time at present. Not sure what's going to happen at the DST switch. Best to double check with the vendor for clarification.

Edited by crewsweeper

Here is a post about the Coz time change:

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/i...ry_cancun.html

Cancún time zone change effective Feb. 1, 2015

If you’re traveling to Cancún after February 1, get ready to enjoy an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

The state of Quintana Roo in Mexico, which includes Cancún, recently confirmed that they will change to a new time zone during the winter season, February 1 – April 4, 2015.

The newly approved time zone for the state of Quintana Roo will be the equivalent of U.S. Eastern Time and will take effect at 2:00am on February 1, 2015 when the state will set its clocks ahead 1 hour to 3:00am.

Essentially Coz (and Cancun, etc.) will move to East Coast time, but will not observe daylight savings time - so depending upon when you cruise from NOLA Coz could be an hour ahead of your ship time (Nov-March, check the daylight savings dates!) or match your ship time (the rest of the year)

That is my understanding.

Thanks everyone! That is going to save us $270. Woohoo!

Do contact the vendor and double check this. Hate to have you miss it.

Just ask what the time in Coz is now and what the time will be after the change to daylight savings time. They may be having confusing too. So you want to be sure of the correct time they are using for the excursion/show.