Making Use of Cruiseships to Assist.......

sail7seas

Don't know the answer but something has to be done before it gets completely out of hand. Accouding to the new tonight they have stopped evacuating the hospitals in the city because of sniper fire.

Wish I had the answer but I don't............

Jim ... I have an answer but it's not one that I like.

Human vermin, if they threaten rescue and evacuation operations, rape women, shoot at police, soldiers, medical workers, etc., should themselves be shot. I don't like that answer, but it's the only one that will work. When humans stop acting like humans and start acting like vermin, they should be treated as such.

Seems there was a big to-do lately about closing military bases; they would

be the absolute best places to use. Everything is there; barracks, chow halls, recreation facilities and the capability of supplying multitudes easily.

Plus, there is the capability of keeping the wrong people out and the right people in.

Just a thought.

Jim ... I have an answer but it's not one that I like.

Human vermin, if they threaten rescue and evacuation operations, rape women, shoot at police, soldiers, medical workers, etc., should themselves be shot. I don't like that answer, but it's the only one that will work. When humans stop acting like humans and start acting like vermin, they should be treated as such.

I agree with you 100% REV,

The innocent and decent people affected by this horror have enough of a struggle to survive without having to be preyed upon by these animals.

I applauded the Govenor of MS the other day when he reported that he ordered law enforcement to be "ruthless" in dealing with looters.

I can truly understand a person who has lost everything and has been walking the streets for days hungry and soaking wet and dirty taking food or a clean set of clothes from a store.

But the people who are stealing and preying upon these poor people should be dealt with like the animals they are

I spent a goodly part of yesterday and today in meetings with Red Cross and city disaster officials here in Dallas trying to figure out how to provide shelter, food, support for the refugees already here, plus the 25,000 or more we can expect to show up over the next few days. I also spent time working the food line, serving corn to a few thousand people, and then another 3 hours sitting, counseling, and praying with distraught people.

God bless you, RevNeal.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Seems there was a big to-do lately about closing military bases; they would

be the absolute best places to use. Everything is there; barracks, chow halls, recreation facilities and the capability of supplying multitudes easily.

Plus, there is the capability of keeping the wrong people out and the right people in.

Just a thought.

This is an excellent idea. It is going to be months before people can return to NO. Many old houses will have to be rebuilt. People cannot stay on cruise ships and in stadiums for long.

As with any situation where there are no absolute programs and policies in place to handle it, there are going to be many, many suggestions and "what if" questions. Each one has to be considered, evaluated, ranked in order of feasability, etc. While all of that is going on, the immediate problems of life and safety have to be dealt with as quickly as possible. This is first a local response until help from neighboring areas and states can come in. We are seeing that response rolling in in large convoys today, but we have seen the local response in the form of the coast guard, the local guard troops, the state and local police from the first moments doing what they could.

America was built by people that worked together to find solutions to problems and by neighbor helping neighbor in time of need. We see a lot of that happening right now, our own RevNeal setting the example of how we should be responding to this crisis. But, as pointed out by RevNeal, we have the vermin that are looting, raping and killing. We've always had that element in our society, but in the end it has always been dealt with. It will be this time also. Anarchy will not be allowed to take over.

The cities will be rebuilt, broken lives will gradually mend and there will be billions spent on investigations of how this could possibly have happened. Commissions will be created, plans will be made... and the next time something of this magnitude happens... we will see the same problems all over again... but again, Americans will pull together and get trhough it again. It's who we are and what we do.

Ships To Provide Shelter

September 3: Carnival announced today that ECSTASY, SENSATION and HOLIDAY will be put into service for six months to provide relief for those made homeless by Hurricane Katrina, the worst natural disaster in U.S. history. Initial plans are for ECSTASY and SENSATION to be docked in Galveston while HOLIDAY will remain at Mobile. Additionally, the car-ferry SCOTIA PRINCE has been added to the line up.

Source: maritimematters.com

I posted on the Carnival thread after first seeing that this topic is being discussed there... I commend Carnival for stepping up and offering the ships (albeit for a cost), but with the activity of some of the homeless, WHAT kind of shape will the ships be in afterward???

I am in disbelief with the "vermin" (very well said, Rev...) how can they honestly think this can be a good thing for their property? Unfortunately, they will not be able to "screen" the refugees prior to taking them in... couldn't you just see the lawsuits as a result, if that DID happen? :(

I haven't been to the Carnival Board ---yet. I'm sure there are many unhappy cruisers over there who are learning their cruise is cancelled. I feel bad for them and would be unhappy if it happened to me. Of course, the reason they need the ships would certainly put the cancellation of a cruise into proper perspective.

Kudos to Carnival for stepping up. Now we all know they will be getting paid for those ships but that is not the point - this is a massive undertaking. If ANY ONE is upset by having their cruise cancelled by this, may God have mercy on their souls. As said before, I would gladly give up our next cruise to help these folks. As would most of you, I am sure. And Carnival is allowing all to rebook on another Carnival ship, along with $100 pp shipboard credit - admirable, indeed. I don't particularly care for Carnival cruise line (one cruise on them was enough for me) but nonetheless, I now have a huge amount of respect for them for stepping up to the plate.

I posted on the Carnival thread after first seeing that this topic is being discussed there... I commend Carnival for stepping up and offering the ships (albeit for a cost), but with the activity of some of the homeless, WHAT kind of shape will the ships be in afterward???

I am in disbelief with the "vermin" (very well said, Rev...) how can they honestly think this can be a good thing for their property? Unfortunately, they will not be able to "screen" the refugees prior to taking them in... couldn't you just see the lawsuits as a result, if that DID happen? :(

The indications are that the ships will be used for the elderly and infirm... sort of an assisted living facility/nursing home. And, yes, they definitely will be screening the people. I suspect that a lot of work that could be done during a "wetdock" period can be done during this time, so I don't think the ships will be in any worse shape than they are now.

I think it's fabulous. Can you imagine the 'lift' it may give some of those desparate people when they are told arrangements have been made for them to live on a cruiseship. Maybe ??? some of these senior folks always dreamed of taking a cruise but never could. After what they have suffered, if they can get a smile on their face for even a brief moment........

Kudos to Carnival.

I also read the thread on the Carnival board. Kudos to Carnival. You HAL folks might also get a "kick" out of the fact that WalMart has pledged Millions ($17 Million, I read) to this recovery. :D

I think its "logistically" a terrible idea, but I applaud Carnival for stepping up to the plate and contributing when asked. $249 million seems like a paltry sum for 3 ships for 6 months (no bar revenues, no gambling revenues), but that's not my call.

I was under the impression that these ships would be used to house FEMA employees that can be right in the center of the recovery process (in effect docked by the Hilton when the river channel is cleared). However, it would make sense also to house the aged and infirmed refugees where the environment (enclosed cabins) would be a significant "upgrade" to mass refugee housing and a much better environment for them to receive the medical help they may need. :)

I also read the thread on the Carnival board. Kudos to Carnival. You HAL folks might also get a "kick" out of the fact that WalMart has pledged Millions ($17 Million, I read) to this recovery.

Scratching my head trying to figure out what you mean HAL folks might get a "kick" out of the fact Wal-Mart made a very generous pledge of a sizeable sum of money.

What am I missing? I don't get it. I'm thrilled when I hear any U.S. company contributing to the recovery effort. I hope all the major companies make huge pledges.

I agree with you 100% REV,

The innocent and decent people affected by this horror have enough of a struggle to survive without having to be preyed upon by these animals.

I applauded the Govenor of MS the other day when he reported that he ordered law enforcement to be "ruthless" in dealing with looters.

I can truly understand a person who has lost everything and has been walking the streets for days hungry and soaking wet and dirty taking food or a clean set of clothes from a store.

But the people who are stealing and preying upon these poor people should be dealt with like the animals they are

animals because they don't behave in the disgusting ways humans do - It's an insult to the poor creatures who are also suffering greatly and can't help themselves either. Most animals remained because unlike humans they had no choice. While some of those humans in NO cldn't leave either - no transportation and no money - gee - some were waiting for their welfare cheques even, - a lot chose to stay - misguided or not they became the authors of their own misfortunes.. Got to agree with being 'ruthless' re: looters, etc. - too bad it wasn't done sooner - might have been more effective.. "Peaches in Georgia is right - poor-selective? military planning'! My prayers are not only with the victims but with their rescuers as well. They are all fortunate to have folks like 'Rev Neal' working on this horrible disaster - bless 'em all! Wldn't it be nice for a change to see all of the 'leaders' getting 'down & dirty' to help instead of being clean, well feed, safe & comfortable, giving cursory hugs to victims and just looking 'crestfallen' for the cameras while 'burbling' about how they will 'overcome' - even after admitting they have screwed up at others expense. Just my humble opinion?

I have contributed several cruises $s worth so far to the relief effort and applaud Carnival Corp for offering the ships - costly for them and the shareholders but good corporate citizens. May the other cruiselines get involved also - takes everyone pulling together....Gad but this is sure frightening when one considers how a disaster cld strike anyone of us anywhere - anytime - humbling hmmm?

Frankly, I haven't been able to do enough. :(

The Reunion Arena here in Dallas is now full, and we're shifting to other sites in the Dallas area for shelter them. This is becoming more and more of a logistics nightmare.

At the Church we're using our BBQ pit for cooking 150 turkeys for use in making sandwich meat for the relief shelters. I was at the Big Town Mall site, where we've begun receiving buses, this morning and had difficulty getting enough volunteers to cook and serve food ... thankfully several clergy and area church officials arrived about 30 minutes before lunch to help ... it was the first time in my life I saw a Bishop with an apron on, serving beans. How appropriate ... Bishops are good at giving us all gas. :D

Archived