Ventura cruise N510 (Spain, Portugal and Gurnsey)

Wiz201

Maybe you could just leave your dad at home as it sounds like he is not really looking forward to it. Hope this doesn't offend you;)

He might be paying for it!

It seems as he has done the journey before in less than 4 hours he thinks it will be the same again but there are so many traffic variables.

Ive done Leeds-London in 3 hours but its also taken me 7 and 5 would be the average.

Daft thing is I bet he has NOTHING pressing at home that he cannot set off the day before for or set off much earlier than 10am for.

Nope he only works three days a week and that's Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so he'll be taking leave anyway.

Yes he is paying, I'm just paying for things on board the ship and any excursions I do. I'm going to share a soft drinks package with my sister; we'll easily have 20 drinks between us. So he does have to come with us. I think I'll try and ask him to compromise and set off at 8am.

Nope he only works three days a week and that's Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so he'll be taking leave anyway.

Yes he is paying, I'm just paying for things on board the ship and any excursions I do. I'm going to share a soft drinks package with my sister; we'll easily have 20 drinks between us. So he does have to come with us. I think I'll try and ask him to compromise and set off at 8am.

Sounds sensible, but still not overly generous time wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I am nagging again about that last bit of your journey - once you have left the motorway and are in the outskirts of Southampton and of the port where literally anything can happen to delay you. Saturdays can be very busy driving into Southampton.

Absolutely P&O Sue - and also if there's anything going on on the Isle of Wight or at the port. Have just checked the Boat Show, but that is September.

BUT Southampton are playing Tottenham at home on the 25th - and there are also a couple of University Department Open days. This all adds to the risk. I remember only too well sitting in Leeds for a good 30 minutes because it was a Uni open day!!

You need to be feeding all this back to your Dad, Wiz

Edited by Scriv

Will it be football season when you go? If so, you need to factor in the extra traffic if Southampton are at home!

No idea, not a football fan

PS Where is Dad parking? Remember to factor in the time that will take as well, depending on what arrangements you have made.

Valet parking, someone is going to drive the Audi away and we just walk into the ship terminal (if the ship is still there ;))

No idea, not a football fan

Have checked for you - see my previous post - and yes, Southampton are playing at home v Tottenham. Kick off 15.00 hrs and will mean lots of fans from around the area and from London. ie lots of traffic!!!!!

Tell Alan.....

Sorry but a crazy time to leave!

Remember that there are three ships in so a good few thousand cars all heading for the port. We will be travelling down on Friday, nice relaxed stress free Saturday morning then get on board around 12:30.

Fingers crossed for you, you will need it as the ship will not wait!

Saturday departures it's worth looking at the Football calendar as well. We once went down and it just locked solid from Winchester on, apparently Southampton were at home to one of the big clubs. We were heading for parking in Marchwood which was much quieter but the M271 looked solid.

Thanks for re-enforcing my point with your own evidence and experience, themanwithahat.

And when it is a London team like Tottenham - as it is on the day wiz is travelling - it will be very busy indeed. I live at Winchester near the motorway, so I know.

But we have done what we can now and it really is up to Alan. As my mum used to say, he is old enough and ugly enough to make his own decisions and take responsibility for them.....

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but with the tragic events of this morning on both the M1 and the M40, maybe the OP's father - Alan - will think again.

Even though todays accidents happened on the northbound instead of the southbound carriageways, there are apparently massive delays southbound as well. Had he been travelling down today, leaving at 10am it would have been a pretty safe bet that he would miss the ship.....

I travelled down the M1 to Derby today, absolutely fine; luck of the draw in terms of whether an accident happens or not. I told him about the possibility of football match and I'm sure he'll have possible accidents at the back of his mind but I've investigated the cost of me going down there with my sister and parking my Aygo there, it is cheaper to go in all one car.

He's pretty confident he'll get there. I'm just going to leave it now and concentrate on finding formal clothes for the formal nights now.

We drive northbound on the stretch of the M3 which you will use every Saturday morning and more often than not, at that time of year, the southbound carriageway is stationary or extremely slow.

And the football match is not just a possibility. It will take place on that Saturday and will bring extra congestion. Fact.

Good luck.

Edited by Scriv