Ventura cruise N510 (Spain, Portugal and Gurnsey)

Wiz201

We are only a few hours away but always go the day before. Stress free and fun.

This year we stayed at West Quay Premier Inn (as we had free port parking) and could not believe the price was only £34 for the room! Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all and mostly cruise people there too.

We are only a few hours away but always go the day before. Stress free and fun.

This year we stayed at West Quay Premier Inn (as we had free port parking) and could not believe the price was only £34 for the room! Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all and mostly cruise people there too.

Generally Premier Inn's are fine.

Basic but everything you need bar an ironing board, any dated rooms are going through a refurb and you get a Hypnos pillow top mattress.

I have asked my dad if he wants to stay overnight in a hotel; no answer yet but I have taken your comments on board (no pun intended lol).

I suppose even on a Friday night we don't need to leave til after six so we can get down in traffic that's getting quieter and just do three hours. I may just have to spread out my packing and pack anything I don't need previous evenings after work.

But if he does insist on driving down on Saturday all the way, then I'll remind him that he'll be the one to take the blame for it if we miss the boat lol

Edited by Wiz201

I have asked my dad if he wants to stay overnight in a hotel; no answer yet but I have taken your comments on board (no pun intended lol).

I suppose even on a Friday night we don't need to leave til after six so we can get down in traffic that's getting quieter and just do three hours. I may just have to spread out my packing and pack anything I don't need previous evenings after work.

But if he does insist on driving down on Saturday all the way, then I'll remind him that he'll be the one to take the blame for it if we miss the boat lol

At least you have something to think about and options to explore but yes you can be ready with a big "told you so" if indeed you do miss the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree to travelling the day before - we stay in Southampton itself - have a leisurely breakfast, shop for those last minute items.

A couple of years ago we were delayed by a bad accident that caused all roads to be closed or severely slowed down, some people didn't make it even though the ships delayed departure, so pleased we were sailing the next day

just consider your holiday is a day longer

whichever way you choose - have a brilliant time

Hi

I have to agree with the others..........

We are on the same cruise, travelling from Manchester, and no way would we chance driving down on the day! It's too stressful! Last year, there was an accident which closed the motorway and we were driving through the countryside (lovely as it was) for hours......so glad it was the day before our cruise, otherwise we would have been lucky to make it.

Usually we stay at the Premier Inn but this year it's the Ibis as we got an unbeatable deal. We've here before, and whilst it's not posh, it's great for an overnight. A meal somewhere (found a lovely Italian), a couple of glasses of vino and then up on the day, breakfast and then off to the terminal early so we're onboard having lunch at 12 or 12.30. Much more relaxed and a great start to the holiday.

Wouldn't even think of driving down on the day.

See you onboard...........

Well he's confident - he says he won't set off until 10am on the saturday! Doesn't want to do overnight hotel either.

Wow! We leave earlier than that and we live in Kent!! But we do like to be on board for lunch :)

Wow! We leave earlier than that and we live in Kent!! But we do like to be on board for lunch :)

We always now go down two days before the sailing. We have a holiday before the cruise. :)

Well he's confident - he says he won't set off until 10am on the saturday! Doesn't want to do overnight hotel either.

WHAT!!!!...10am... oh no no no....far too stressful. We once traveled down on the same day,...set off at 4 in the morning from Lancashire and even that was too much...never ever again We hit a traffic jam on the M40....talk about panic...traffic didn't move an inch for a couple of hours. Please listen to what others are saying and travel down the day before then after a leisurely morning make your way to the terminal....I think boarding commences about noon....have lunch onboard and familiarise yourself with the ship...believe me it will take some time to find your way around the Ventura....Enjoy.

Oh dear I hope this doesn't turn out disastrous for you. I am 3/4 hours from Southampton and still stay the night before. Fingers crossed you don't have any delays.:eek:

I would come down in 2 cars ....you in one on Friday, and him in the other on Saturday.

You can send him postcards from each port of call ....:D

Well my Aygo is not comfortable enough for long motorway trips; I'm going to Derby next week and that'll be long enough. She's alright for a half six am journey from Huddersfield to Bradford for work but that's about it. Also I get free parking at my dad's house where she gets looked after by my step sister who is pregnant so is staying behind.

And it's your 30th birthday cruise. If it does go disastrously wrong then Southampton Wacky Warehouse should be able to put a small party on for you.

Oh god no!

His text was basically - its fine, I've done it before. Left at 10 and got there for 2pm with a half hour stop for a drink.

Last January (13 months ago) we went on a cruise and at Lisbon new dinner companions were on the next table.

Apparently there had been about 10 or l2 people who missed the boat, even though departure had been delayed., We knew a lot of people didn't get on board till 3 or 4. There had been two separate incidents,. one of which was just outside Southampton .

Anyway they told us how they had to find accommodation in Southampton, and also arrange plane tickets to Lisbon. They left for Lisbon on the next afternoon then had to stay in a Lisbon hotel overnight.

They reckoned it had cost them well over £500 and one couple estimated £700 and they were all quite stressed by it all.

Their words "never again!!!"

Hi Everyone, I'm also new to this site but not to cruising. So a big Hello to you all.

I agree with the others. Go down the night before. We always stay at Premier Inn at Southampton West. It's not far from Marchwood where we park our car. Only once have we set off the same day and we came across a few accidents and a lot of roadworks, It really wasn't worth the stress worrying about not getting there in time. (we set off at 06.00 and hit traffic at 07.00)

We travel down from Leeds and usually go M1 M42 M40 and A34 and it normally takes 3 and half to 4 hours.

We loved Ventura. We were on her Christmas 2013 and New Year and have booked for Christmas this year. Please let us know what you think of Guernsey as we are going there in May on Britannia.

Have a fantastic cruise and I'm sure you will get the bug.

Sorry but a crazy time to leave!

Remember that there are three ships in so a good few thousand cars all heading for the port. We will be travelling down on Friday, nice relaxed stress free Saturday morning then get on board around 12:30.

Fingers crossed for you, you will need it as the ship will not wait!

Hi Wiz201....sounds like your dad has really set his mind on risking it so he must know something that none of us know. Has he done it before and if so how long since....has he a secret route that no one else knows about....has he a superjet car although that won't make any difference if roads are jammed/accidents/breakdown or has the car wings. It must be over 200 miles from where you live down to Southampton ..

Most people like to embark as soon as they can and settle in so I am curious as to why your dad wants to leave it till the last minute and embark at the last minute....hopefully....my fingers are crossed for you

Well, I live very near Southampton and advise you to also check for and factor in possible delays in those last few miles nearer the port - no joke on a Saturday believe me!

It can take ages to do that last bit at the moment with roadworks etc. let alone Saturday shoppers.

Anyway, it's your own decision of course, but remember the ship will not wait - so think of an alternative venue if it goes without you.

Edited by Scriv

Hi Wiz201....sounds like your dad has really set his mind on risking it so he must know something that none of us know. Has he done it before and if so how long since....has he a secret route that no one else knows about....has he a superjet car although that won't make any difference if roads are jammed/accidents/breakdown or has the car wings. It must be over 200 miles from where you live down to Southampton ..

Most people like to embark as soon as they can and settle in so I am curious as to why your dad wants to leave it till the last minute and embark at the last minute....hopefully....my fingers are crossed for you

Yes he's driven down to Southampton very recently, I think it was only last year or year before. I discussed it with my sister last night because she agreed with me it would be nice to get there earlier even if we go down on the same day and we have time to explore the ship and get our bearings.

I am going to look at train or coach options for us two and see if we could make our own way down earlier; then we could trick him later on in the afternoon and say that we're leaving the port and halfway to France lol