downtown or midtown Anchorage?

alaska_planner

Perhaps someone can help me choose between the Captain Cook hotel in downtown Anchorage and the Residence Inn Marriott in the midtown area.

One is much closer to the train station that we'll be going out of twice and the other is much much cheaper (i can get a 2 bedroom suite at the residence inn, for less than the cost of one room at the captain cook - but i need two rooms there, so it's even more).

we'll be in Anchorage for 2 nights.

The first night we fly in late at night (about 10:30 PM), leaving early the next morning by train to whittier for a glacier cruise.

Then the following morning, we leave even earlier by train to seward (for the next leg of our adventure).

This means we'll have to get from the airport to our hotel when we arrive.

Then the next day get from the hotel to the train station in the morning (and the reverse at night)

and the second day we'll have to get from the hotel to the train station at the crack of dawn.

I'm debating between the Captain Cook hotel in downtown Anchorage, a few blocks from the train station, and the Marriot Residence Inn, in midtown Anchorage.

Is the captain cook a lot nicer than the residence inn? is the location better?

Will it take a long time in the morning to get to the train station from the residence inn? etc. etc.

Anyone have an opinion? All thoughts, information, tips are welcome!!

also, feel free to recommend alternative hotels if you think they're better.

Thanks! :)

Edited by alaska_planner

We always stay at the Sheraton which is pretty close to the train station. In your case I think you should stay closer to the train station, but wouldn't it be easier to stay the second night in Whittier and then go to Seward, you are doing a lot of backtracking.

We always stay at the Sheraton which is pretty close to the train station. In your case I think you should stay closer to the train station, but wouldn't it be easier to stay the second night in Whittier and then go to Seward, you are doing a lot of backtracking.

we're going to alaska specifically so that my mom can ride that train from anchorage to seward (it's been a dream of hers)...

we've added on the whittier bit just for the glacier cruise - it can be thought of as an outing from anchorage, not as going from point A to point B.....

hows the sheraton? is it a nice hotel? rooms in good shape? good service?

Since you won't have time to sightsee in Anchorage, why pay double the price for a downtown hotel ?? Most midtown hotels provide a free shuttle to/from the airport ; I'm sure the Residence Inn does. Check the web site.

I don't think the train to Whittier leaves until 9:30am so luckily you won't need to be up at 6am your first day. I stayed midtown once (icky hotel) and it was only a 10-15 minute cab ride downtown, maybe $20.

Why are you even staying in Anchorage when you’ll really not be spending much time there? You could spend the first night and take the train directly to Seward the next morning. Instead of the Whittier glacier cruise you could do a Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward.

Why are you even staying in Anchorage when you’ll really not be spending much time there? You could spend the first night and take the train directly to Seward the next morning. Instead of the Whittier glacier cruise you could do a Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward.

My thoughts also. I'd skip Whittier and take one of the day cruises from Seward and spend the 2nd night there. On the day you board your ship you could either visit Exit Glacier or explore Seward before boarding your cruise ship.

My thoughts also. I'd skip Whittier and take one of the day cruises from Seward and spend the 2nd night there. On the day you board your ship you could either visit Exit Glacier or explore Seward before boarding your cruise ship.

I agree with DougH and Glaciers. Of course, this is your trip, but it seems the better plan would be to skip Whittier and spend the night in Seward, including the highly review Kenai Fjords trip.

I have not stayed there yet, but we are planning on staying at the Comfort Inn Shipcreek, which is right by the train station and has free shuttle service. Either way, looks like it would be a good option for you and gets decent reviews. Not sure how it compares price wise.

I agree with DougH and Glaciers. Of course, this is your trip, but it seems the better plan would be to skip Whittier and spend the night in Seward, including the highly review Kenai Fjords trip.

I assumed the OP was doing BOTH cruises ( and if the Kenai cruise is NOT planned, it's definitely an option since the train arrives early enough.)

Either way, no one answered the hotel question ... Capt Cook vs Residence Inn.

After being weathered out TWICE for the Kenai cruise, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket :(

The Captain Cook is in a much better location being near the railroad depot and downtown. Hotel amenities at the Cook are better too. There really isn’t a lot to do near the Residence Inn in Midtown.

For us, we’d go with the Residence Inn as we’re willing to put up with a little inconvenience to save some money. They are both nice properties. There is a Fred Meyer a couple blocks from the Residence Inn for supplies.

I have stayed at the Residence Inn & Suites many times- the two bedroom suite is very comfortable with each room having a queen bed and private bath- and a living room and kitchen in the middle- but.. there is no view except of neighboring subdivision- it is not close to anything but the BP center- the Fred Meyer is a good walk or a cab drive- they do have a complementary shuttle- you might check if the shuttle will go to the train station- I would call them directly-

I have also stayed at the Captain Cook - I always ask for the front tower- (can't remember name)- you want to ask for one that has a view of the water- the rooms are well appointed but it is a hotel room only- they probably have adjoining rooms- never stayed in one. Also you are in walking distance to lots of dining- and Anchorage activities. - I don't think they have a shuttle-

Personally- if I was only going to be there 2 days- and did not plan to cook- I would choose Captain Cook- great views- easy walk to downtown-

thanks for all the responses!

i'm still undecided on the residence inn vs captain cook..

i'm very glad to hear that some of you have stayed at the residence inn and liked it!!

i understand that captain cook is better located, though it doesn't have shuttles to anywhere, not even from the airport making it less convenient in that respect.

does the captain cook get terribly crowded /overrun with all the cruise tour people there???

by the way, regarding seward - we're spending 2 nights there, so no worries about that...we'll be going on a wildlife cruise from there, as well as visiting exit glacier etc etc.

the glacier cruise out of whittier gets good reviews, so here's hoping it's a good as people say :)

i'm still undecided about the hotels...

Edited by alaska_planner

I know you mentioned about the train being important. Do you know that except for the very last part of the trip the train is on the same track to both Seward and Whittier?

I still think your best bet is to take the train to Seward then rent a car and drive back to Whittier, instead of spending what will end up being 16 hours on the train over 2 days.

i understand that captain cook is better located, though it doesn't have shuttles to anywhere, not even from the airport making it less convenient in that respect.

In the past the Captain Cook has provided shuttle service from the aiport for $10pp each way. They may contract it out but have provided the service. You might want to check with them directly to see if they are providing it this summer.

I know you mentioned about the train being important. Do you know that except for the very last part of the trip the train is on the same track to both Seward and Whittier?

I still think your best bet is to take the train to Seward then rent a car and drive back to Whittier, instead of spending what will end up being 16 hours on the train over 2 days.

since one train takes 3 hours and the other 4 hours and 20 minutes, at least 25% of the route is different. I really don't mind riding back and forth on the same track. I'd much rather ride than drive - and i'm the one who'll be doing any driving during the trip (as in from vancouver to seattle). I prefer to sightsee rather than watch the road. And riding along the same route, if it's a beautiful route, is fine with me. We gave up on denali as it's too much for my mother. If/when i return to Alaska with my husband, i'll spend more time doing the things i like to do. But for now, this is the plan that we've come up with.

In the past the Captain Cook has provided shuttle service from the aiport for $10pp each way. They may contract it out but have provided the service. You might want to check with them directly to see if they are providing it this summer.

i asked them, they told me there's no shuttle - that i should take a taxi.

On day 1 you'll be in the hotel from 11pm - 8:am and on day 2 from 10pm - 5:30am, so you won't have any time to enjoy hotel amenities or sightsee in Anchorage.

Seems like all you need is a safe clean place to sleep, so why pay twice the price just to stay at Capt Cook ?

On day 1 you'll be in the hotel from 11pm - 8:am and on day 2 from 10pm - 5:30am, so you won't have any time to enjoy hotel amenities or sightsee in Anchorage.

Seems like all you need is a safe clean place to sleep, so why pay twice the price just to stay at Capt Cook ?

makes sense!

and since someone posted here that they've stayed there and it's fine and it won't take me too long in the morning to the train station, that would seem to clinch the deal! :)

• 6 months later...

just an update...

in the end, i decided to go with downtown, close to the train station for convenience..

even though we were very close, we still took a taxi to the train station both mornings..

since i had about 10 packages shipped to the hotel, i felt a good business hotel was the best bet which is why i opted for the hilton anchorage.

we were happy with the choice.