Upgrade from IGT to OGT or VGT

jbwhip

Is it possible? There are varying answers on the web, and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge or experience with it before I call tomorrow. We are still over 60 days from sailing and haven't been assigned a room yet. Thanks in advance!

Is it possible? There are varying answers on the web, and wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge or experience with it before I call tomorrow. We are still over 60 days from sailing and haven't been assigned a room yet. Thanks in advance!

The restrictions on *GT reservations are:

When booking this restricted-fare category stateroom, please note the following:

• New bookings only. Existing reservations cannot be modified to these new categories.

• You are reserving a stateroom within the selected stateroom type: Inside, Oceanview or Verandah*.

• Disney Cruise Line will assign your specific stateroom at a later time, based on remaining availability.

• Specific stateroom requests will not be accommodated.

• Full payment is required at the time of booking for all Guests and is non-refundable.

• Sail date and stateroom category changes are not permitted.

• The stateroom offer cannot be combined with any other discounted or promotional offer.

• Full legal names of all Guests are required at time of booking and no name changes are allowed.

• * Most Verandah staterooms include a private verandah with a clear plexiglass wall; some may include a solid white wall depending upon location. A limited number of Oceanview and Verandah staterooms may include a partially obstructed view

The only way you could upgrade your room would be on embarkation day at the port (if there are rooms available).

Room assignments for *GT bookings typically are done around 2 weeks out, but can appear at any time up to, and including, embarkation day.

Edited by Shmoo here

I am not sure. You are typical assign room 7-45 days out. It just depends on how booked the cruise is. We got our assignment for our upcoming March 7 cruise 45 days out. Last year in May we didn't get room assignment until 10 days out. FYI- the room is usually really good considering on how much you paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shmoo is correct technically. It can't hurt to call--there is always the possibility of getting a CM who will put it thru for you. But officially, it can't be done.

Your choices are to cancel, lose all money, and rebook (NO WAY) or stay where you are.

Room assignments for *GT are usually done at 10-14 days now, but you may not see an assignment till you arrive at the terminal. It IS possible to get a courtesy upgrade (to book an IGT and be assigned to an oceanview room, for example.) Usually you get what you booked, but upgrades have been reported.

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm about to call and will let you know.

We're perfectly fine with the IGT and looking forward the magic porthole, but I saw the price difference for the VGT so we'll see :)

Success!

I called the main cruise number this morning and told the rep we booked an Interior restricted cabin but noticed there are now some verandah restricted cabins available, and was wondering if it were a possibility to upgrade. She promptly stated "of course!" and I just had to pay the difference over the phone. It took about 5 minutes for her to cancel the first reservation and book the new one. After she came back on the line she kindly told me about the process and how she had to cancel the old one because the restrictions on the *GT do not allow changes. A thousand thank yous later we are in the VGT. So I am sure Shmoo is right on line, but I'm glad I called to ask and was surprised how friendly and easy they made it, no hassle at all. If the rep told me they dont usually allow upgrades or changes, I would have totally accepted our IGT. I think my success was partially due to us still remaining within the *GT category, and we are spending more money.

I was about to say if its outside final payment/non cancel it should be doable as a cancel and rebook.

It also quite probably depends on how bad they want to sell the other class versus the original.

Per the written rules, a *GT booking is final at the moment it is booked. And, again, per written policy there are NO changes permitted. But as OP found, there are often those CMs who will make an exception.

We had a VGT booked and 3 days before the cruise a member of our party ended up in a wheelchair. At that point we weren't sure whether she would be able to cruise or not, but thought it best to alert the TA and see whether an HA cabin could be arranged--if not, there would be no possibility of cruising and we would have invoked the insurance. DCL originally said no--VGT, we won't move them, etc. The TA called his best contact at DCL, explained the situation, and we were moved to the HA cabin! The guest who had been assigned to that cabin was also a VGT but had no medical need of the cabin and if you read the fine print on the HAs, it says that someone with a medical reason will result in moving someone without. And technically, he got an upgrade to our previously assigned cabin (we were in a cat 5, he was in a 6).

My point is that even though we were technically allowed "no changes," DCL was willing to work with our situation to enable us to cruise. It NEVER hurts to ask.

The downside....now that we need HA for our cruises, we can no longer book *GT. Boo......

Edited by moki'smommy