Upgrade question

4Tacos

Is an 8M aft extended balcony an upgrade from an 8E standard balcony? The 8E (what I currently have) is on the Lido deck and the 8M is on deck 5. The ship is the Sunshine. If it is an upgrade, what is so special about it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

It's viewed as an upgrade by Carnival, because the balcony is longer. It's an extended balcony. Plus, it's facing the aft, which many people prefer to the side balconies. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would prefer being up on deck 9 with the smaller, side-view balcony, but Carnival is guessing that the extended, aft-view balcony will be more appealing to a majority of people. I would agree that this is a safe guess, but it doesn't mean that it's better for you personally. Only you can decide if it's truly an upgrade for you.

Plenty of times, I don't see their version of an upgrade as an upgrade to me. Often, I would prefer to be on a lower deck than higher decks in equal sized rooms, but the lower decks are viewed as a lesser category. Just not by me.

Aside from opinion, yes it's an upgrade. Because in technical terms, if you were to book an 8M outright you would pay more than an 8E. So yes it's an upgrade.

Now, if you want my opinion on the matter it most certainly is a great upgrade!

My only hesitation would be if the aft balcony is uncovered. Depending on where you travel it could be hot out there pretty much the whole time.

Yes, on paper it is an upgrade. But, for us, we have had one aft balcony and will not do one again because of Sweet Dutch Girl's observation.