Returning to ncl after 6 carnival cruises, have a question

dmart82

The last NCL cruise was on the Dawn 7 years ago and we have decided to cruise with NCL after 6 cruises with Carnival. When the kids were young it was just more affordable. We are excited to cruise the NCL Gem on May 23 2015 on a 7 day cruise. I am sure there are a lot of changes. My big questions is how many dress up nights are there on a 7 day cruise and which days are they? I am used to getting very dressed up on carnival, me in a fancy cocktail dress and my husband and boys in a full suits, I don't remember it being that dressy on NCL, am I wrong? Please help if you can. We are also bringing a first time cruiser with us and she is very nervous to have the right stuff with her.

The last NCL cruise was on the Dawn 7 years ago and we have decided to cruise with NCL after 6 cruises with Carnival. When the kids were young it was just more affordable. We are excited to cruise the NCL Gem on May 23 2015 on a 7 day cruise. I am sure there are a lot of changes. My big questions is how many dress up nights are there on a 7 day cruise and which days are they? I am used to getting very dressed up on carnival, me in a fancy cocktail dress and my husband and boys in a full suits, I don't remember it being that dressy on NCL, am I wrong? Please help if you can. We are also bringing a first time cruiser with us and she is very nervous to have the right stuff with her.

It's now called Norwegians Night Out and there will be two- one the first sea day and the second on the second sea day. On Norwegian you can be as dressy or as casual as you'd like. We always dress up for pictures but many don't. Print of the NCL FAQ regarding what to pack for your friend and she can't go far wrong.

Be aware though that "Norwegian Night Out" is far from being a formal night. On a lot of cruises, the information given about the night doesn't even mention dress at all, and the people who dress in any way that could be considered formal are in the minority.

I often don't even notice which night it was on.

Edited by KeithJenner

Keithjenner is correct. Norwegians Night Out is a theme party...like the white hot party...and has nothing to do with dress.

The correct answer is that NCL will require ZERO formal nights. None.

The guest has the option to dress how they want...even if formal...on as many or as few nights as they wish. The only requirement is resort casual or better.

Be aware though that "Norwegian Night Out" is far from being a formal night. On a lot of cruises, the information given about the night doesn't even mention dress at all, and the people who dress in any way that could be considered formal are in the minority.

I often don't even notice which night it was on.

Keithjenner is correct. Norwegians Night Out is a theme party...like the white hot party...and has nothing to do with dress.

The correct answer is that NCL will require ZERO formal nights. None.

The guest has the option to dress how they want...even if formal...on as many or as few nights as they wish. The only requirement is resort casual or better.

It was my understanding that Norwegians Night Out took the place of Dress Up or Not night. Of course with Freestyle it is always dress up or not:).

Edited by sparks1093

Thanks for all the info. But this leads me to my next question. Once a read this to my 15 & 21 year old sons, they are going to ask if jeans(no stains or wholes) are okay. My normal reaction would be "NO" but after reading this I am not so sure. I would never put jeans on but what about them?

Thanks for all the info. But this leads me to my next question. Once a read this to my 15 & 21 year old sons, they are going to ask if jeans(no stains or wholes) are okay. My normal reaction would be "NO" but after reading this I am not so sure. I would never put jeans on but what about them?

Yes, nice jeans are ok in all restaurants (even in aft MDR and Le Bistro that have the tightest dress codes).

More info direcly in NCL's FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Edited by Demonyte

It was my understanding that Norwegians Night Out took the place of Dress Up or Not night. Of course with Freestyle it is always dress up or not:).

That is a common misconception. Norwegian's Night Out is an "event"...no special dress code involved.

Dress Up or Not Night was phased out as cruisers learned that EVERY night was actually Dress Up or Not....the dress code never changed on any night.

That is a common misconception. Norwegian's Night Out is an "event"...no special dress code involved.

More importantly it is a sponsored event of a vodka brand so that is the most likely reason for the event even existing.