Boarding as a family

srjones1

Actually you did.

This is one family. Not some polygamist family as you suggested in your other post.

They could be in 1 cabin, which case, they would all board together. They could split up into 2 cabins in which case....if they all boarded together it would be no different than if they had 1 cabin.

It's 2 cabins. Cabin 1 qualifies. Cabin 2 has a child that is being tended to by an adult, child is not alone. Cabin 2 should get FTTF.

Doesn't matter what Carnival says - it all comes down to which port employee you get, how nice they are, and if they know the rules or not.

Are the cabins connecting?

Did you book the adults in separate cabins to get a special past guest rate?

Are the kids past guest?

Are they minors?

If they are minors and the cabins are connecting and they are past guest (so you can keep the past guest rate if applicable)... I would put both adults in one room so you can board with your platinum wife and the kids can board with you because they are minors..

Problem solved.

It's 2 cabins. Cabin 1 qualifies. Cabin 2 has a child that is being tended to by an adult, child is not alone. Cabin 2 should get FTTF.

Agreed.

But if they don't get FTTF and Carnival says go ahead and board everyone together with Platinum (and they may) it's no different than if all 4 people were in 1 cabin.

Edited by fuddrules

Exactly-- you and husband in one room-- the kids in the other. Everyone gets priority embarkation.:D

Problem solved so long as they didn't book early saver - thus not having to pay for name changes. And if they book one adult in each room so only one has to buy Cheers, for example, then that plan is gone to crap with moving the kids in a room by themselves. :p Just sayin'

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Problem solved so long as they didn't book early saver - thus not having to pay for name changes. And if they book one adult in each room so only one has to buy Cheers, for example, then that plan is gone to crap with moving the kids in a room by themselves. :p Just sayin'

I always book early saver. I booked my 2 oldest in their own room and my youngest in my room. I called and twitched everyone into their correct room and I didnt pay anything. I just wanted everyones keys to be correct.

If it was done for the Cheers package that is a different story.

Ok... The wife and I both got a great rate offer. Had we booked us in one cabin and the kids in another we couldn't have utilized that so I got one with one child and she got one with the other thus allowing all four of us to go at the same great rate. Wife is platinum so last cruise with just us two we went the priority route so now I'm just wondering if us, as a family, might do the same thing. It was a pretty simple question I thought.

Ok... The wife and I both got a great rate offer. Had we booked us in one cabin and the kids in another we couldn't have utilized that so I got one with one child and she got one with the other thus allowing all four of us to go at the same great rate. Wife is platinum so last cruise with just us two we went the priority route so now I'm just wondering if us, as a family, might do the same thing. It was a pretty simple question I thought.

Unless someone at the port is being particularly cranky, you will likely be able to board together with priority embarkation.

My friend and I booked 2 cabins for my birthday cruise 2 years ago - it was my first cruise as a platinum member, but she was still red or gold. When I produced my VIP boarding pass, the employee said, "You and everyone in your party can come this way," and she led me and my friend to the platinum lounge. No fuss, no muss.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I am onboard the Freedom currently. I observed a situation similar to this while boarding. A woman bought FTTF for ONE cabin and was trying to bring the second cabin along with her as her 9 yr old child was part of the second cabin.she was denied, despite lots of arguing. She was told if she was concerned she could join regular boarding lines, that she should have bought it for both cabins

Since you are in different cabins they will split you up. Or she could just wait and board with you and the other child. Or you could purchase FTTF for the cabin you are in.

So pay an extra $50.00 just so you can walk on the ship together? Perks are earned, so if you can't walk yourself onto the ship, than wait for the "slower" group. It's not really that big of a deal.

I am onboard the Freedom currently. I observed a situation similar to this while boarding. A woman bought FTTF for ONE cabin and was trying to bring the second cabin along with her as her 9 yr old child was part of the second cabin.she was denied, despite lots of arguing. She was told if she was concerned she could join regular boarding lines, that she should have bought it for both cabins

Funny:cool:

It is a simple question, it is the answer that is not simple. There are several scenarios as others have mentioned. You have to decide if you want to take a chance on being separated or not. If not, then you have to decide if your wife and the other child will just wait with the two that will be boarded with the masses, or you can purchase FTTF in order to board very close/or at the same time as your wife and other child.

It seems that it is not that fact that it is a simple question, but that you want it to have a simple answer. There isn't one. It will be up to the people at the port and will ultimately depend on them. You decided you wanted the better rate to book each adult in a separate cabin. This is where the problem started. As stated, if you and the wife were in the same cabin and the kids in the other one there would be no issue.

So, it boils down to whether you feel lucky. Just don't be upset if you and the second child are turned away from boarding priority because technically, you should not be allowed to do that.

First things first....be sure and use the priority luggage tags for your checked luggage might as well use that perk, second once on board just drop off your luggage in the "platinum" room. easy, peasy. Third, when you check in the "gate keeper" will make the decision as to what boarding slots you get...and since you are a "family" linked on one credit card I wouldn't be surprised if they give you the highest priority you are entitled to irregardless of how much it upsets the grumpy platinums that visit this board.

And if, by chance, they force the family to take different zones I am sure it won't bother all of you to board a few moments later....you are getting the best perks by having your room ready, luggage early, and the ability to drop off. Have a nice trip.

[quote name='bamafanbibby']Our PVP told us you could take 1 cabin with you... My parents are platinum and we are not so we asked and he said it would be no problem.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cruiseaholichal']Exactly-- you and husband in one room-- the kids in the other. Everyone gets priority embarkation.:D[/QUOTE]

The "real" and "correct" answer is NO, you should not be allowed to board with your Platinum Wife... That's how its written.. If any PVP told you that you can take 1 cabin with you, CHANGE YOUR PVP ASAP... Incorrect Information :(

Cruiseaholical, that is correct ONLY IF the kids are under 18 years of age...

Now, with that being said, it does have alot to do with the Port and the Staff working that day... Some will check your boarding pass and if it doesn't say PRIORITY (husbands cabin will not) they will not allow you to board on that line... Others will see your wifes boarding pass (which should have PRIORITY on it) and allow everyone on the VIP line... The one negative thing is that Husbands Cabin Keys will not be in the VIP Room..

It's really not that complicated. Personally we are a family of 18 who cruise together as much as we can.. When cruising with the family that is not Platinum (if we didn't previously book each one of them in a cabin with the Platinum or Diamond passenger) we all check in separately and then we (the Platinum and Diamond family members) leave the VIP Room and wait with the the other family members until/so we can all board together to get that embarkation picture... Really not such a big deal to wait... You're on vacation.. pack your patience with you :)

As far as the wife who told the husband, don't worry about it... Sounds like something my Mom would definitely say but while I wouldn't worry about it.... it would be interesting to see her if indeed you are told you can't board together !!!

[quote name='srjones1']Ok... The wife and I both got a great rate offer. Had we booked us in one cabin and the kids in another we couldn't have utilized that so I got one with one child and she got one with the other thus allowing all four of us to go at the same great rate. Wife is platinum so last cruise with just us two we went the priority route so now I'm just wondering if us, as a family, might do the same thing. It was a pretty simple question I thought.[/QUOTE]

Your question is simple and the responses have been as straight forward as possible. The policy does not allow for you all to check in together. I'm sure you must have had an idea of such, which is why you asked to begin with.

If the port employees decide to stick by that rule, as you are booked now, no you will not and should not be allowed to board together.

In order to quail any guess work, you can either board with the general boarding OR buy a FTTF pass so that you can all go together in the priority line. That's it. All of that has been stated numerous times.

[quote name='cruizinisthebest']Your question is simple and the responses have been as straight forward as possible. The policy does not allow for you all to check in together. I'm sure you must have had an idea of such, which is why you asked to begin with.

If the port employees decide to stick by that rule, as you are booked now, no you will not and should not be allowed to board together.

In order to quail any guess work, you can either board with the general boarding OR buy a FTTF pass so that you can all go together in the priority line. That's it. All of that has been stated numerous times.[/QUOTE]

You say that as if I asked numerous times...

My remark about it being a simple question was more directed to those that were just being dicks about it not those who offered legitimate, helpful responses.

As for what answer I wanted, again, those that opted to be helpful answered my question completely so the answer I wanted was provided.

[quote name='Elaine515']The "real" and "correct" answer is NO, you should not be allowed to board with your Platinum Wife... That's how its written.. If any PVP told you that you can take 1 cabin with you, CHANGE YOUR PVP ASAP... Incorrect Information :(

Cruiseaholical, that is correct ONLY IF the kids are under 18 years of age...

Now, with that being said, it does have alot to do with the Port and the Staff working that day... Some will check your boarding pass and if it doesn't say PRIORITY (husbands cabin will not) they will not allow you to board on that line... Others will see your wifes boarding pass (which should have PRIORITY on it) and allow everyone on the VIP line... The one negative thing is that Husbands Cabin Keys will not be in the VIP Room..

It's really not that complicated. Personally we are a family of 18 who cruise together as much as we can.. When cruising with the family that is not Platinum (if we didn't previously book each one of them in a cabin with the Platinum or Diamond passenger) we all check in separately and then we (the Platinum and Diamond family members) leave the VIP Room and wait with the the other family members until/so we can all board together to get that embarkation picture... Really not such a big deal to wait... You're on vacation.. pack your patience with you :)

As far as the wife who told the husband, don't worry about it... Sounds like something my Mom would definitely say but while I wouldn't worry about it.... it would be interesting to see her if indeed you are told you can't board together !!![/QUOTE]

NOT TRUE-- as long as the kids are under 21, which is the youngest one is allowed to cruise alone. Our no-platinum 19 yo was allowed to board with us this past spring- they just had to retrieve her card from the general check in area.