Star - suite sleeping quarters question.

mearsfansinboise

We are sailing in a penthouse suite next month and it's my husband and I, our 2 pre-teen children, my mother, and my best friend. (First time in a suite so I am not clear on the amount of space available.) The sleeping arrangements are sort of set, but then wondered if additional beds could be brought in. I thought I had caught this on another thread. My son would most likely sleep on the floor somewhere - he's an interesting little fella - but could he get a little foam or some sort of mattress? And then what about an additional single bed of sorts? Is there room for this? My understanding is that we have 3 beds. Essentially I'm trying to add 2 small sleeping quarters for the littles.

The Star Penthouse suites were rather small, congested and you want to fit 6 people in one? Did you book 6 people into this suite already or just seeing if it will work? Are you aware of the bathroom situation? 1 bathroom for 6 people isn't ideal.

Star Penthouse suites don't allow 6 people according the site. You need a family suite or Haven suite.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Honestly, I wouldn't put 4 adults and 2 kids in that room. I thought you had booked the SC 2 bedroom family suite, which would be much more reasonable, although still tight. If it were me, I would either add a 2nd cabin, or switch my reservation to the 2 bedroom suite.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

This is the space you have, only thing outside the picture (to the right) is the dressing area and the bathroom:

Star_FamilySuite_AJ_SJ.jpg

The bed layout is designed so that two persons sleep on the main bed, two on the murphy bed and two on the sofa bed. It's definitely going to be tight because most of the empty space in the picture will be filled with furniture moved away so that the murphy bed and sofa are able to open.

EDIT: Here is the floorplan:

star_wth_fp_familyste_0.jpg

Edited by Demonyte

This is the space you have, only thing outside the picture (to the right) is the dressing area and the bathroom:

Star_FamilySuite_AJ_SJ.jpg

The bed layout is designed so that two persons sleep on the main bed, two on the murphy bed and two on the sofa bed. It's definitely going to be tight because most of the empty space in the picture will be filled with furniture moved away so that the murphy bed and sofa are able to open.

EDIT: Here is the floorplan:

star_wth_fp_familyste_0.jpg

Thank you so much.

Then I will stick with the plans that we have with 2, 2, and 2 in each bed and not attempt to add additional accommodations for the children.

Maybe you could ask the room steward to remove one of the tables and a couple of chairs? Otherwise yeah, you'll be tripping all over each other and the furniture when both of the extra beds are out.

Yeah, it just seems to big compared to the rooms we normally have - never in a suite before. But we are adding 2 adults. So I'll just play it by ear and see if the butler or someone has any great ideas. If not, it's not the end of the world. It'll still be a great time with lots of good memories!

It will be cozy but I think you will be just fine. We've been four adults in a family suite on the Star twice, one with balcony, one without. The SG with balcony did not have the dining table and chairs. In 12518 SJ family suite without balcony our table and chairs were not in front of the window but instead kind of between the end of the bed and the long counter as you entered the room. This made it easier for the steward to put down the murphy bed at night.

One thing we did (read it here on CC) was take stretchy bands to tie back the heavy drapes so more window is visible. We left the sheers hanging free for some shade protection.

The bathroom is really nice with two sinks, tub and shower. Public bathrooms are quite close if someone has the urge while bathroom is tied up.

We love the family suites on the Star and think they are a great bargain. I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise. Here are a few photos from 12518. In the first one you can see the wooden "box" where the sliding wall comes out between the couch and bed areas.

c93c5147-d360-4980-b846-02f11871c581_zpsbxadjir1.jpg

P1010469_zpsnd4icpxq.jpg

P1010400_zpsvwloy5ny.jpg

P1010398_zpsanihvns7.jpg

P1010402_zpsjqvgbdrw.jpg

I think you'll be fine! We were 4 adults (parents with 2 grown kids) in the SJ family suite in 2013. We moved the table and chairs in between the king bed and the coffee bar, then the chairs/coffee table out from the sofa just a bit. There's plenty of room. And there are curtains that can be used the make rooms for each of the beds. We loved it because each kid had a full sized bed and we had a king.i could close the curtains and not be disturbed when the kids came in late at night. The table and chairs were in the "neutral zone" shared by everyone.

The bathroom has a tub and separate shower, plus two sinks.

I think you will be fine too. On the Star, the big bed separates into 2 twins which might be good for the two female adults. The Murphy bed isn't a queen and would be tight for two adults. Two kids should be fine. The sofas are worn and likely to be replaced during dry dock next month. Hopefully they will still be queen sized. For your son, there would be space at the foot of the big bed if the storage cubes were taken out of the room - we never used them for anything. Also in the video link provided, it showed the two armless chairs together against the closet wall - that could also be a space your son could fit a bed or maybe use the chairs - they were very comfortable as I recall. I'm sure the room steward can come up with a solution for you. You probably won't use the coffee table either so maybe that can be taken out too to give a bit of space at the ends of the murphy bed and sofa sleeper.

As the pictures showed, the bathroom is really nice, but it is really only one person at a time for the shower or toilet. With all those people trying to get ready around the same time, it may be worthwhile to get a couple of spa passes for the shower facilities.

Edited by herdingdogmom

It will be cozy but I think you will be just fine. We've been four adults in a family suite on the Star twice, one with balcony, one without. The SG with balcony did not have the dining table and chairs. In 12518 SJ family suite without balcony our table and chairs were not in front of the window but instead kind of between the end of the bed and the long counter as you entered the room. This made it easier for the steward to put down the murphy bed at night.

One thing we did (read it here on CC) was take stretchy bands to tie back the heavy drapes so more window is visible. We left the sheers hanging free for some shade protection.

The bathroom is really nice with two sinks, tub and shower. Public bathrooms are quite close if someone has the urge while bathroom is tied up.

We love the family suites on the Star and think they are a great bargain. I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise. Here are a few photos from 12518. In the first one you can see the wooden "box" where the sliding wall comes out between the couch and bed areas.

c93c5147-d360-4980-b846-02f11871c581_zpsbxadjir1.jpg

P1010469_zpsnd4icpxq.jpg

P1010400_zpsvwloy5ny.jpg

P1010398_zpsanihvns7.jpg

P1010402_zpsjqvgbdrw.jpg

Thank you for sharing your pictures - and for the tips. We will definitely need to coordinate bathroom time, and good to know there are commodes nearby just in case of other conflicts.

I think you will be fine too. On the Star, the big bed separates into 2 twins which might be good for the two female adults. The Murphy bed isn't a queen and would be tight for two adults. Two kids should be fine. The sofas are worn and likely to be replaced during dry dock next month. Hopefully they will still be queen sized. For your son, there would be space at the foot of the big bed if the storage cubes were taken out of the room - we never used them for anything. Also in the video link provided, it showed the two armless chairs together against the closet wall - that could also be a space your son could fit a bed or maybe use the chairs - they were very comfortable as I recall. I'm sure the room steward can come up with a solution for you. You probably won't use the coffee table either so maybe that can be taken out too to give a bit of space at the ends of the murphy bed and sofa sleeper.

As the pictures showed, the bathroom is really nice, but it is really only one person at a time for the shower or toilet. With all those people trying to get ready around the same time, it may be worthwhile to get a couple of spa passes for the shower facilities.

Good call on the spa passes; thanks for your insight.