Sensation drydock?

JohnMI

A few weeks ago, I was sure I saw a post where someone said that the Sensation was going into drydock in February. Now I can't find it. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly?

So -- anyone have any info on that? Is Sensation going into drydock in 2015?

- John...

Ok -- good to know that I wasn't crazy then. So, looks like the Sensation goes into drydock tomorrow for a couple weeks...

Thanks for the info!

- John...

No cruises scheduled till the very end of February. Looks like she's going under the knife. Good thing....she's due. ;)

Noticed on Carnival's site that this week they've added Seuss at Sea, the Hasbro Game, Carnival Live, and the Steakhouse option as "Coming Soon" on Sensations list of onboard activities, etc. So I suppose these are being added in dry dock. Not sure what else, but we sail in June, so we're excited!

Noticed on Carnival's site that this week they've added Seuss at Sea, the Hasbro Game, Carnival Live, and the Steakhouse option as "Coming Soon" on Sensations list of onboard activities, etc. So I suppose these are being added in dry dock. Not sure what else, but we sail in June, so we're excited!

you're right on all but the steakhouse. the food part here:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/?shipCode=SE

has the steakhouse selections as 'new'. you can order the steakhouse entree in the dining room. but no fantasy class ships have added a steakhouse to date and i doubt they'd add that.

the activities part is listed here and has everything you said:

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/view-all-onboard-activities/?shipCode=SE

you're right on all but the steakhouse. the food part here:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/?shipCode=SE

has the steakhouse selections as 'new'. you can order the steakhouse entree in the dining room. but no fantasy class ships have added a steakhouse to date and i doubt they'd add that.

the activities part is listed here and has everything you said:

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/view-all-onboard-activities/?shipCode=SE

Thanks for the links! Yeah, I guess I didn't specify on the steakhouse option...I did assume it was just that you could order from the dining room. Still good to me though, because a week ago when we booked, the "steakhouse-new" tab didn't exist for the Sensation. The hubby is a steak guy, so it's something. I do wish they'd add Guy's burgers too, but we can't have everything I guess! :)

I wonder why there is nothing posted anywhere about what is being done while in dry dock?

because they haven't announced what would be done. the only hint has been the 'coming soon' banners on features / activities on the sensation's page, namely carnival live, hasbro game show, suess at sea, green eggs and ham breakfast and the suess-a-palooza parade. that leads me to believe that outside of what's noted there, it's going to be a standard cosmetic type typical drydock.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Sensation last year & will be again in May so I am VERY excited she is getting cleaned up.

Other than the specialty additions, what is the basic/typical dry dock menu for the ships? Carpet? New Furniture? What all do they do?

I just got off the Sensation a week ago. I hadn't been on it before, so I'm not sure what it was like before. Not to be a downer, but I can tell you this, at least:

- They did not replace the carpeting in the rooms. My parents were in a balcony suite and the carpet was clearly stained across half of the room (it looked like it had flooded at some point so half the carpet was permanently stained a darker color than the rest).

- They did not clean the windows. People have complained before about this ship having pretty dirty oceanview windows. It still does. :)

- I did not see any newer looking furniture.

So, I'm not sure what was done in drydock outside of some things mentioned above (which seemed to be mainly things for the kids).

From what I've heard, this ship used to have a lot of neon -- I think some of that may have been removed or re-done, because it did not seem to have that much neon to us.

Don't get me wrong -- we enjoyed the cruise and it was fine. It just didn't seem like a ship that had just been renovated (or even cleaned, for that matter), so I'm not sure what happened to it when it was in drydock.

- John...

We were on the Sensation last year & will be again in May so I am VERY excited she is getting cleaned up.

Other than the specialty additions, what is the basic/typical dry dock menu for the ships? Carpet? New Furniture? What all do they do?

The main reason for shipyard periods and drydockings is for technical maintenance that cannot be completed with the ship in service. The hotel refurbishment department will fit in whatever "repairs" they can given the time frame of the shipyard. The general condition of the guest areas will be evaluated months before the shipyard and things will be prioritized on a cost to benefit basis. Not all carpeting will be renewed, not all upholstery will be redone. It's just like the complaints about the 2.0 upgrades not being completely done on many ships during shipyard, but that is a business decision based on the fact that the ship continues to sail at capacity without the upgrades, so why invest money where its not required. They will do whatever their marketing analysis shows to give the best return on investment.

We sailed on the Sensation March 8-12, after dry dock. The only things we noticed were new carpets in the hallways, new gym equipment, new upholstery in some areas, and Playlist Productions. No Seuss at Sea yet and no other 2.0 upgrades. I wrote a detailed review of our trip for anyone interested (see link in my signature).