Metrorail or taxi from airport to Bricknell area

elliekate

You mean Brickell?

Taking the Orange line will take you directly to the Brickell station but the question is, where are you heading in relation to the station? You could end up walking several blocks dragging your bags. In the summer you could expect to melt within a block!

I see you are sailing on the 21st ... arriving on Friday to 20th? What time of the day? Metrorail can get busy during rush hour not to mention traffic on the roads were you'd be walking.

Taxi should run around $22 ... but you'll be on the meter as this is not a flat rate area.

I'm not a fan of Metrorail with luggage but others do it and enjoy saving $

Edited by Capt_BJ

You mean Brickell?

Taking the Orange line will take you directly to the Brickell station but the question is, where are you heading in relation to the station? You could end up walking several blocks dragging your bags. In the summer you could expect to melt within a block!

I see you are sailing on the 21st ... arriving on Friday to 20th? What time of the day? Metrorail can get busy during rush hour not to mention traffic on the roads were you'd be walking.

Taxi should run around $22 ... but you'll be on the meter as this is not a flat rate area.

I'm not a fan of Metrorail with luggage but others do it and enjoy saving $

Yes, I did mean Brickell.....I need a cruise! We are going to the Hampton which is approximately half a block from the station. The time of arrival will be noon on Friday, 2/20. I am thinking a taxi would be best since I don't like dealing with luggage but just curious if anyone has done both and/or has a strong opinion either way. Some in our group are money conscious and the Metrorail may be more appealing unless it is difficult to navigate.

Thanks for your input!

We've done it both ways and just depends on what you are up for. There were 4 of us, each had a large suitcase and a small suitcase or backpack. It seemed like we walked forever in the airport to get to the metro. We flew American so it may have had to do with what terminal we came into. There was a train waiting when we got there so we picked an empty car and gathered towards the front with our luggage so we wouldn't block anyone. It was about a 10 minute wait before the train left and it was probably about a 20 minute ride to the Brickell station and a 5 minute walk to the hotel. There was a train waiting when we got there. It was really easy and cheap!

When we went in December, we opted for a cab. We had a super early flight and were up at 3:00 a.m. so I had no patience for the train route.

We've done it both ways and just depends on what you are up for. There were 4 of us, each had a large suitcase and a small suitcase or backpack. It seemed like we walked forever in the airport to get to the metro. We flew American so it may have had to do with what terminal we came into. There was a train waiting when we got there so we picked an empty car and gathered towards the front with our luggage so we wouldn't block anyone. It was about a 10 minute wait before the train left and it was probably about a 20 minute ride to the Brickell station and a 5 minute walk to the hotel. There was a train waiting when we got there. It was really easy and cheap!

When we went in December, we opted for a cab. We had a super early flight and were up at 3:00 a.m. so I had no patience for the train route.

Great info that I will pass on to my friends! Thanks!

I take the Tri Rail to Miami all the time and I have to transfer at the airport to the Metrorail (I usually go downtown or Coral Gables).

That said, I wouldn't take it being tourists.

For one thing you go through some REALLY sketchy areas. Secondly, with all that luggage you have big bulls eyes on your backs.

I won't get on it after dark and even in broad daylight there are some scary, ratchet people riding the Metro.

Even though there are armed guards on the Metro and at the stations, some of them are in the highest crime zip codes in the country.

noonish on a Friday ....

while I would take a cab just for the hassle factor .... I don't think a group would have an issue at this time of day.

This is the station that serves the Coast Guard District HQ ... there's a lot of uniforms around ... and it is close to the Brickell "financial area" plenty more exciting high rollers to zap!

Edited by Capt_BJ

This is the station that serves the Coast Guard District HQ ... there's a lot of uniforms around ... and it is close to the Brickell "financial area" plenty more exciting high rollers to zap!

But it is the ten stations you have to go through to get to it that make me nervous.