Shots - St.Petersburg

We took the Baltics Cruise last year and spent two days in St. Petersburg. We were advised by the CDC to get a Diptheria shot. Since it had been ten years since my last Tetanus/Diptheria shot, I got one. Make sure the water you drink in St. Petersburg is bottled. Don't drink any drinks with ice cubes and stay away from salads. You should do the same thing you do if you go to Mexico. We were on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera last year and did the same. My son-in-law insisted we were crazy and drank his coca-cola with ice. He was sick the rest of the cruise. It also wouldn't hurt to get Hep A vaccine. Read the lastest article in the May issue of Ladies' Home Journal re Hepatitis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockgarden:

Are shots really necessary or is the reasoning based on a "just in case" scenario?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Shots are pretty much always on a "just in case" scenario. If you don't get them and you go, you're overwhelmingly likely to be fine. If you happen to be unlucky and you get sick, you could die. Get the shots.

Cruising the Baltic in May and as advised by our doctor, have taken tetanus/diphtheria and Hep A shots.

In addition, the CDC recommends an adult polio booster for anyone visiting any part of what used to be the Soviet Union. However, our doctor recommended against that one because the possible side effects are greater than the possibility of contracting the disease.

We've also been told to stay far away from the water in St. P and drink only bottled water delivered to us with the seal on the cap still unbroken. Apparently, they have a habit of re-filling bottles with tap water.

Russia seems to be the only place the doctors are concerned about. Get the Diptheria and Hep A shots and you'll feel more at ease with less worry. Oh, another thing our doctor said was to only eat hot foods. No salads, no ice cubes, no ice cream, etc. The same goes for Mexico also.

Thankyou, thankyou to all. So, I will do just what the doctor orders and be safe.

Been to Mexico three times, was very careful in all areas and came away without any bad results, but this area of SP was an unknown.

Thanks again.

• 7 years later...

I was born in St. Petes, now live and work in the US but still go there a few times a year.

I didn't do shots and I use to drink tap water (filtered in most cases) and salads and ice sure and never had or heard of any one having any problems with that.

And you don't get Diptheria from tap water. It doesn't transfer this way. :)

Archived