Long Beach Port Problems

Surffish2285

Leaving on the Inspiration Friday, and I wanted to see if anyone has had problems recently with the Longshoremen and Porters with bags. There has been a lot of talk about problems in San Fran, but nothing specific to Long Beach. Also what is a average tip for the porter when you give them your bags?

Leaving on the Inspiration Friday, and I wanted to see if anyone has had problems recently with the Longshoremen and Porters with bags. There has been a lot of talk about problems in San Fran, but nothing specific to Long Beach. Also what is a average tip for the porter when you give them your bags?

It's been a couple years since we sailed out of Long Beach but have many times with no issue. We typically tip them $5 a bag, ours are usually quite heavy because DH and I only pack one each.

Boarded last Friday. Only issue was entering the parking structure. Had to go thru the drop off to enter. Couldn't go directly into the structure.

We carried on our luggage. Our friends' luggage was rolled away on the porters cart so fast that they didn't have the opportunity to tip.

Normal tip is a buck or two per bag.

Boarded last Friday. Only issue was entering the parking structure. Had to go thru the drop off to enter. Couldn't go directly into the structure.

We carried on our luggage. Our friends' luggage was rolled away on the porters cart so fast that they didn't have the opportunity to tip.

Normal tip is a buck or two per bag.

So do you stop at drop off first to drop off bags?? Then make your way to park?? I cruise in 30 days, first timer.

So do you stop at drop off first to drop off bags?? Then make your way to park?? I cruise in 30 days, first timer.

How much luggage are you bringing?

If bringing a lot you could drop it off curbside, then continue on to park. Follow the 'Drop Off' signs. We don't usually drop off. We usually take ours onboard ourselves.

You do not have to use the porters. You can bring your luggage onboard with you. The scanners fit up to 16"x24".

We almost always do carryon. Most do in these short cruises.

Edited by SadieN

I have sailed out of long beach twice,last time being late 2013, never any issues. my wife and I will check a bag each, both times and I am not saying this to brag, I spot the guy a 20.00 as they work their butts off and my bag seems to be well taken care of. Definitely isn't something you have to do just something I choose to do

Edited by losijon

When the longshoremen had their last slowdown they didn't mess around with the cruise ships, the slow down is more around the container ships and the such.

How much luggage are you bringing?

If bringing a lot you could drop it off curbside, then continue on to park. Follow the 'Drop Off' signs. We don't usually drop off. We usually take ours onboard ourselves.

You do not have to use the porters. You can bring your luggage onboard with you. The scanners fit up to 16"x24".

We almost always do carryon. Most do in these short cruises.

Just one roller bag and a backpack or some beach type bag of some sort to carry essentials like my wine lol...its just our first time cruising so was thinking of checking my roller so i could check out the ship and have lunch without having to haul it around while waiting for my room....hoping to be at port by like 11 or 12 that day

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app