"Dancing of the Ships" Speculation

cruisexlife

You don't think they would sell them to China? Seems like it's becoming a booming cruise ship market over there.

The Chinese want new. Princess and Royal are sending purpose built new ships over there. I think Carnival may be having second thoughts about jumping into that market. The Chinese economy isn't looking as brilliant as it did a few years ago.

The Chinese want new. Princess and Royal are sending purpose built new ships over there. I think Carnival may be having second thoughts about jumping into that market. The Chinese economy isn't looking as brilliant as it did a few years ago.

Unless they offer price much below their competition dont see how they fill up old ships when competition is offering brand new built for the Chinese market.

Miracle is going to China in 2018, Splendor is going to China in 2019:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7000

Effectively, Horizon is replacing Splendor in MIA/FLL and Splendor is replacing Miracle in Long Beach. Assuming Legend keeps splitting time between Australia and Alaska, I would expect a Conquest-class ship (probably Valor) to move to Long Beach. Vista 3 comes in behind that ship around November 2020 to fill the vacant slot in Port Canaveral (Valor), Miami (Glory), or Galveston (Liberty/Freedom).

The other possibility is that Carnival pulls Legend from Australia to be based on the West Coast year-round, taking Miracle's Mexican itineraries during the winter, and keeping her Alaska itineraries during the summer months. P&O Australia will be getting two Vista-class ships in 2019 and 2020, so there will be plenty of tonnage even without a Carnival-branded ship.

I should also throw out that Carnival only has a one year contract with Mobile that expires in November 2017, so Fantasy could be on the move again if Carnival deems it more important to keep a full house in Galveston or Florida. Having grown up in Mobile, I hope that is not the case, but I would not be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plans have changed Miracle is not going to China in 2018. The Spirit is on a seasonal basis. Splendor is going full time in 2019.

You link is interesting in that it is the same I posted and no where in our does it say the Miracle is going to China. It's started it is staying in North America in 2018.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7000

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by JLee1973

If Splendor is going to China full time, I think it would be highly unlikely it gets some of the newest 2.0 features (Guy's, Blue Iguana, etc.). I'm sure it will probably be dry docked and changed a little bit to cater to the Chinese market, similar to the Spirit when it was prepared for Australia. But I could be wrong.

If Splendor is going to China full time, I think it would be highly unlikely it gets some of the newest 2.0 features (Guy's, Blue Iguana, etc.). I'm sure it will probably be dry docked and changed a little bit to cater to the Chinese market, similar to the Spirit when it was prepared for Australia. But I could be wrong.

Princess installed new Japanese style high tech toilets on Diamond Princess when they sent it to Japan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/07/12/japan-cruise-toilets-princess/12564315/

Splendor just came out of dry dock this year, without any 2.0 features.

Interesting. Do you think they would sell the Fantasy if they leave Mobile? I wonder how long the Fantasy class ships will stick around with the new builds taking up berths.

Fantasy just got Fun Ship 2.0 this year. The ship we need to worry about is Sensation, as she has not received Fun Ship 2.0 and is the third oldest ship in the fleet. Elation, despite being a year younger than Fantasy, got Fun Ship 2.0 in 2014.

As a side note, Paradise is getting 2.0 next year.

If Carnival does sell a ship, Bahamas Paradise could replace the former Celebration (1987) or even add a second ship. If they want to stay within the company, P&O Australia is selling Pacific Pearl (69,500 GT) to C&MV in March 2017, and it is only slightly smaller than the Fantasy class ships. I suppose Fathom could be on the table as well, but I would be more inclined to think they will pull an older ship from AIDA, which has three ships under 43,000 tons in the fleet, and two ships at 180,000 tons on order.

Fantasy just got Fun Ship 2.0 this year. The ship we need to worry about is Sensation, as she has not received Fun Ship 2.0 and is the third oldest ship in the fleet. Elation, despite being a year younger than Fantasy, got Fun Ship 2.0 in 2014.

I think you mean Ecstasy, not Elation. And Sensation is scheduled to be in drydock in February. I have not heard if she is getting 2.0 upgrades though.

The reasons for what they did to that ship were unique and temporary. At some point they may continue that again, but the need is no longer there. Without totally dragging this off topic, the Sunshine far exceeded our expectations when we finally got on her. Can't argue with the weather perspective.....

May happen to elation. Who knows what will happen in her month long dry dock

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you mean Ecstasy, not Elation. And Sensation is scheduled to be in drydock in February. I have not heard if she is getting 2.0 upgrades though.

I did mean Ecstasy, although coincidentally, Elation got her 2.0 upgrades in 2014 as well.

I am curious if there is any relation between the recent extension of Carnival Corps contract at Ft. Lauderdale and the hopefully soon announcement of Horizon's homeport. I do believe Carnival used the homeporting of Vista in Miami to get upgrades included in their contract there if memory serves me. I would love to see more options from there instead of seeming to be content HAL and Princess using Ft Lauderdale and Carnival sticking to Miami. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/features/fl-port-everglades-carnival-new-deal-20160817-story.html