Radiance Crew - anyone sailed lately?

Hi all, we're sailing on Radiance in a couple of weeks and I've just been reading some shocker reviews. Anyone sailed on her lately? We're not so concerned about the ship itself (even if she's tired Radiance class are still gorgeous with all those windows), more concerned with the attitude and efficiency of staff. We had a great cruise on Radiance just over a year ago and we had only great experiences but from what the reviews seem to be saying things may have gone downhill since then. We're going to have lots of sea days so hoping to have lots of activities to keep us occupied too. Can anyone shed some light?:confused:

Hi all, we're sailing on Radiance in a couple of weeks and I've just been reading some shocker reviews. Anyone sailed on her lately? We're not so concerned about the ship itself (even if she's tired Radiance class are still gorgeous with all those windows), more concerned with the attitude and efficiency of staff. We had a great cruise on Radiance just over a year ago and we had only great experiences but from what the reviews seem to be saying things may have gone downhill since then. We're going to have lots of sea days so hoping to have lots of activities to keep us occupied too. Can anyone shed some light?:confused:

I just got off her today and the crew are just as good as they have ever been. Had zero issues with the staff. The ship itself does look a little tired in places but in most areas it was good.

By the way, if you go to the dining room make sure to ask for Solomon as your waiter. He is the best there is. Sadly his assistant waiter Ashley is going home, as he is amazing as well.

We got of the Radiance a few weeks ago and I admit we did not give it rave reviews but let me assure you on the whole the staff go out of there way to help and it turns out that they were understaffed on our cruise and they now have full amount of crew so put to rest any concerns you may have and have a great cruise:)

I did a mid December cruise, didn't really have any issues. I found the service in MDR same as always, did notice a bit of a dip in the specialty, it felt like they were replacement waiters and not the usual staff. Room attendant was amazing, and I can't comment on bar staff as I didn't really drink. Most of the entertainment staff were good, one bloke rubbed me the wrong way but that was probably a personality thing, nothing to write a bad review over.

We sailed on her Aug.'14 and Dec.'14....500ml of Wolfblass went from $10 to $15 in Windjammer, beer $4.25 + gratuities to $7.95 incl. gratuities...No lobster on the 2nd last night, biggest disappointment was no Italian night in the MDR..... ie wait staff parade and serenade us while we hoot and whistle spinning the napkin above our heads....and I know how much the staff love this event! We were on Rhapsody in Jan.'15 and the staff didn't believe me when l told them they don't do it on Radiance anymore!

Guess you could say this could lead to a bad review...or accept it as a change in RCI attitude to profits and cost cutting. As on any ship there is the odd bar attendant that doesn't want to be there, but generally service and 'feel' around the ship was good.

We are booked on Radiance again for Dec'15...probably won't change this because of the price we paid...over $1000 less than the current 'Sale ' prices with OBC etc. :eek: We will still enjoy the cruise, but won't miss any opportunity to save where we can...find the bar specials (not advertised other than at the bar concerned) and drink as much as we can when offered free drinks.:D

Edited by retyredgreynomad
Spelling/date

We sailed on her Aug.'14 and Dec.'14....500ml of Wolfblass went from $10 to $15 in Windjammer, beer $4.25 + gratuities to $7.95 incl. gratuities...No lobster on the 2nd last night, biggest disappointment was no Italian night in the MDR..... ie wait staff parade and serenade us while we hoot and whistle spinning the napkin above our heads....and I know how much the staff love this event! We were on Rhapsody in Jan.'15 and the staff didn't believe me when l told them they don't do it on Radiance anymore!

Guess you could say this could lead to a bad review...or accept it as a change in RCI attitude to profits and cost cutting. As on any ship there is the odd bar attendant that doesn't want to be there, but generally service and 'feel' around the ship was good.

We are booked on Radiance again for Dec'15...probably won't change this because of the price we paid...over $1000 less than the current 'Sale ' prices with OBC etc. :eek: We will still enjoy the cruise, but won't miss any opportunity to save where we can...find the bar specials (not advertised other than at the bar concerned) and drink as much as we can when offered free drinks.:D

Oh no!! We love the staff parades!! :eek:

I must say that while we love the radiance class ships I wish the staff would take a leaf from Rhapsody's book when it comes to the fun atmosphere the staff go out of their way to create. Hopefully the ones in charge have read your review (and others) and are working on improvements, including reinstating the Italian night at least.

We were told by several staff in the dining room that the parades were canceled due to a couple of passengers complaining about the noise while they were trying to have their meal and its on ALL Royal ships (Radiance used to do them until around August last year). The crew really miss it. In fact the Radiance actually used to rebel (I guess thats the best word) against Royal management and do the parades anyway, but they ended up getting in trouble as management eventually found out about it due to passengers filming it then posting it online.

Crew are recommending passengers to complain about the lack of dining room singing and parades, when you fill out the survey after the cruise.

Edited by Cruise ship fan

Yes l definitely mentioned it in both Radiance surveys...cutbacks that we notice are not good management....

The only time kitchen staff get out of the galley is to do the Parades, and they love to see their guests and the appreciation shown by passengers....they admit they can't sing but they love trying:D

We're back on Radiance in Dec. so will have another 1st hand experience then.:rolleyes:

Yes l definitely mentioned it in both Radiance surveys...cutbacks that we notice are not good management....

The only time kitchen staff get out of the galley is to do the Parades, and they love to see their guests and the appreciation shown by passengers....they admit they can't sing but they love trying:D

We're back on Radiance in Dec. so will have another 1st hand experience then.:rolleyes:

Yea they were saying it was really the only time they get to be appreciated. When they are some of the hardest working on the ship and get very little pay.

Oh and by the way it looks like I live just a few minutes away from you (Norah Head) and met a couple from Noraville that are on your Voyager cruise next month while on the Radiance last week (in the Diamond Lounge).

Edited by Cruise ship fan

We were told by several staff in the dining room that the parades were canceled due to a couple of passengers complaining about the noise while they were trying to have their meal and its on ALL Royal ships (Radiance used to do them until around August last year). The crew really miss it. In fact the Radiance actually used to rebel (I guess thats the best word) against Royal management and do the parades anyway, but they ended up getting in trouble as management eventually found out about it due to passengers filming it then posting it online.

Crew are recommending passengers to complain about the lack of dining room singing and parades, when you fill out the survey after the cruise.

Those complaining passengers would definitely not like Carnival then. They have entertainment by staff on most nights in the dining room. Passengers are encouraged to get up and dance.

I can't imagine the majority of passengers prefer to do without the parades! I love that we get to show our appreciation. As for a quiet dining experience, maybe the complainers would be better suited to Cunard ;). We'll definitely be mentioning it on the survey and before if the opportunity arises!

I can't imagine the majority of passengers prefer to do without the parades! I love that we get to show our appreciation. As for a quiet dining experience, maybe the complainers would be better suited to Cunard ;). We'll definitely be mentioning it on the survey and before if the opportunity arises!

I like the parades but not every night.

Retyredgreynomad - which cruise are you doing in December?

Cheers

Di

Those complaining passengers would definitely not like Carnival then. They have entertainment by staff on most nights in the dining room. Passengers are encouraged to get up and dance.

We experienced the Carnival "Showtime". The first couple of nights I hated it and just wanted to eat in peace but it won me over and thereafter I quite enjoyed it. Some diners at our table seemed as though they had had a personality bypass at birth, perhaps that had something to do with it.

Edited by lyndarra
typo