Besides downtown miami

rob6465

Besides downtown hotels, what other area of miami is close to POM where u can sightsee without taking taxis? Cruising in december and wife wants to sightsee miami. We originally thought staying by airport but were advised not to. Looking at hotels by port and either sold out or cost is $250+.

If you look at a map of Miami (try Google maps) you'll see that downtown is the area closest to POM. Not much farther, but also probably not cheaper, is the South Beach area of Miami Beach.

Coconut Grove is another fun area of Miami where you can explore shopping and dining by foot, but you'll be a $20-25+ cab ride from the port.

When do you cruise in December? :confused: If you are between Thanksgiving and Christmas prices should be reasonable - you are way early to be looking for bargains.

If you look at a map of Miami (try Google maps) you'll see that downtown is the area closest to POM. Not much farther, but also probably not cheaper, is the South Beach area of Miami Beach.

Coconut Grove is another fun area of Miami where you can explore shopping and dining by foot, but you'll be a $20-25+ cab ride from the port.

When do you cruise in December? :confused: If you are between Thanksgiving and Christmas prices should be reasonable - you are way early to be looking for bargains.

We cruise 12/5 on breeze and hope to stay on 12/4. Do you trust priceline to bid on a hotel? Should I put off looking for a hotel now? Afraid the hotels will book fast and get stuck at a bad hotel and wife will kill me..lol

Also, saw airfares from Houston to miami at $660 r/t for both of us.

Thanks

We cruise 12/5 on breeze and hope to stay on 12/4. Do you trust priceline to bid on a hotel? Should I put off looking for a hotel now? Afraid the hotels will book fast and get stuck at a bad hotel and wife will kill me..lol

Also, saw airfares from Houston to miami at $660 r/t for both of us.

Thanks

The Springhill Suites is 3.5 miles from the port of Miami and they do provide a shuttle over in the morning. The hotel has an airport shuttle and also a courtesy shuttle over the Bayside Marketplace area and other nearby areas for dining and shopping. There is not much within walking distance of this hotel but the convenience of the airport and courtesy shuttle are perks. They hotel rooms are all suites plus breakfast is included.

For your date, the Studio suites are $199..... they do offer a discount for AAA, AARP, Govt employee etc..... so this can save a few buck if you qualify.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/miahd-springhill-suites-miami-airport-east-medical-center/cruise-port-of-miami/7g8gyto/home-page.mi

I checked on LMTclub and found the Marriott Courtyard downtown Miami for $123 and Aloft in Brickell, a very nice area right by downtown for $129. Both of those would work for walking around with no need for cabs in the area during your stay. You would have to cab to the hotels, as I don't think they have airport shuttles and also cab to the port. Tough to get around those if you want to be in a nice safe hotel whee you can walk to restaurnts for dinner. (Maybe 25 or so to the hotel and 15 to the port).

Go to lastminutetravel.com. There you can call the number and ask what these two hotels will cost. There is a club you can join, usually for free, that will give you the best prices. That's what I use. But I don't know the free join up promo code today. You could probably find one using google.

This site is nice to book on because you know the hotel and it IS cancellable up until 3 days prior to travel. Can't get refunds on priceline or hotwire.

Eandj gives you some great options above. I would happily stay in either hotel.

12/4 is sort of a dead time between Thanksgiving and Christmas - you should be able to find some deals. You are WAY to early to find Priceline deals - do lots of homework using the sticky at the top of this board and www dot better bidding dot com before you wind up bidding to much for a hotel in an area you do not want. :eek: