daily service charge

megann831

I did call NCL and just got off the phone. I asked if the DSC charge can be stopped, they said yes. I asked under what circumstances can DSC be turned off, they replied it is at the discretion of the guest. I simply called the phone number provided here. If you do not believe me, which you don't, you can call for yourself. If you couldn't care less you'd stop badgering me.

I am removing the DSC and paying all cash my next trip. If you don't like it, don't do it that way.

I also did as you suggested and I got basically the same answer, but allow me to elaborate on the answer I received (which is different from yours just a bit).

It was explained that the DSC can indeed be adjusted should a guest be dissatisfied with the level of services received. However, a guest should be reasonable in providing NCL with the opportunity to correct any shortcoming in performance before adjusting the DSC. Only in cases where the guest issues were unable to be remedied would an adjustment to the DSC be appropriate - even if that was a complete removal.

I specifically asked if I could remove them entirely because I disagreed with the premise of the DSC and preferred to extend a gratuity directly to those who provide direct services. I was told the DSC is not a gratuity. If the reason given for removing the DSC was due to objection over its form, such a request would be denied by the onboard Hotel Director.

So it would seem I received a slightly different answer than you did and one that not only is in line with NCL's published protocols but with 98% of the people who have expressed their understanding as well.

You have every right to proceed with your intent to completely remove the DSC on your next cruise. Just know that it is entirely possible your request will be denied. Unless, of course, you are going to provide a reason contrary to the one you say you will give here.

You can believe staunchly that you are justified in your choice. Be aware that the vast majority disagree with your choice and find it insulting and in extremely bad form. Some may even call you bad names because of it and think you are a self-righteous blowhard. I hope you can live with that. I know I can.

I also did as you suggested and I got basically the same answer, but allow me to elaborate on the answer I received (which is different from yours just a bit).

It was explained that the DSC can indeed be adjusted should a guest be dissatisfied with the level of services received. However, a guest should be reasonable in providing NCL with the opportunity to correct any shortcoming in performance before adjusting the DSC. Only in cases where the guest issues were unable to be remedied would an adjustment to the DSC be appropriate - even if that was a complete removal.

I specifically asked if I could remove them entirely because I disagreed with the premise of the DSC and preferred to extend a gratuity directly to those who provide direct services. I was told the DSC is not a gratuity. If the reason given for removing the DSC was due to objection over its form, such a request would be denied by the onboard Hotel Director.

So it would seem I received a slightly different answer than you did and one that not only is in line with NCL's published protocols but with 98% of the people who have expressed their understanding as well.

You have every right to proceed with your intent to completely remove the DSC on your next cruise. Just know that it is entirely possible your request will be denied. Unless, of course, you are going to provide a reason contrary to the one you say you will give here.

You can believe staunchly that you are justified in your choice. Be aware that the vast majority disagree with your choice and find it insulting and in extremely bad form. Some may even call you bad names because of it and think you are a self-righteous blowhard. I hope you can live with that. I know I can.

There is no way some hotel director is going to be able to change the passenger contract.

Sorry some call center gave you the wrong answer...but that happens sometimes.

There is no way some hotel director is going to be able to change the passenger contract.

And that is why reports of verbal confirmations will always be questioned. Far too many times different people have totally conflicting reports. They can't all be right.

I believe that was largely LoveyHowells point a few pages back when she stated that nobody had any proof.

Edited by KeithJenner

Wrong answers are indeed common with call centers. However, part of the passenger contract states this:

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Therefore I give credibility to the answer I was provided that if the reason given was the "inconvenience" of having to pay the DSC in the first place, the request would be denied.

The only way to prove this is to actually do it and have it not be denied. And, of course, provide irrefutable proof back here of success.

Edited by KevInPitt

I really hope I'm not the poor unfortunate soul waiting behind you in line while you are arguing your case with the guest services staff. :)

If you really don't like how Norwegian does things, then call them up and cancel any outstanding bookings you have and when they ask why, give them your reason. Why take it out on the staff who work on the ship?

I canceled my last Norwegian cruise because I was really unhappy with the cruise consultant I was assigned at the time. I got in touch with customer relations and explained why I was canceling my cruise. I then told them that they would need to assign me a new cruise consultant.before I would consider rebooking with them. I thought it was a much more effective approach than continuing to bang my head against the wall dealing with a cruise consultant that I didn't trust.

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

Why would some of you ask for proof of a posters statements when the answer you seek can be obtained easier by YOU requesting that information from the cruise line. Are you simply wanting to continue a fruitless argument ?

I did request that information from the cruise line. Please refer to my post.

Someone else got a different answer and intends to remove the DSC for a reason I was told wouldn't be permissible.

Since you can't prove a negative - meaning I can't prove it would be permissible because I wouldn't do it - those that claim they can and will should be the one to prove it is possible.

Wrong answers are indeed common with call centers. However, part of the passenger contract states this:

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Therefore I give credibility to the answer I was provided that if the reason given was the "inconvenience" of having to pay the DSC in the first place, the request would be denied.

The only way to prove this is to actually do it and have it not be denied. And, of course, provide irrefutable proof back here of success.

That's not in the contract. Sorry.

I really hope I'm not the poor unfortunate soul waiting behind you in line while you are arguing your case with the guest services staff. :)

If you really don't like how Norwegian does things, then call them up and cancel any outstanding bookings you have and when they ask why, give them your reason. Why take it out on the staff who work on the ship?

I canceled my last Norwegian cruise because I was really unhappy with the cruise consultant I was assigned at the time. I got in touch with customer relations and explained why I was canceling my cruise. I then told them that they would need to assign me a new cruise consultant.before I would consider rebooking with them. I thought it was a much more effective approach than continuing to bang my head against the wall dealing with a cruise consultant that I didn't trust.

Was your dispute concerning the subject of this thread which is DSC?

Why are you telling me what to do? You do whatever you want, so will I. You could always double your dsc if that would make you feel any better

Was your dispute concerning the subject of this thread which is DSC?

No it was not. My issue was with a policy that was forcing me to continue working with a cruise consultant that I had lost trust in.

What I am trying to say is that if you have an issue with a policy, you should handle it ahead of time if you can, rather than wait until you're on the ship to deal with it. It seems to me that while you're on vacation, you have better things to do then get into lengthy discussions with guest services if you don't have to.

If you have a reservation and you have an objection to the DSC in principle, then why not call NCL and explain your issue and see if they would be willing to note your reservation saying that no DSC is to be charged. If they won't do it, then tell them you want to cancel your cruise.

I did request that information from the cruise line. Please refer to my post.

Someone else got a different answer and intends to remove the DSC for a reason I was told wouldn't be permissible.

Since you can't prove a negative - meaning I can't prove it would be permissible because I wouldn't do it - those that claim they can and will should be the one to prove it is possible.

You have given me the answer to my question. You just want to argue. Please don't try to start an argument with me. It will not work !!!

Why are you telling me what to do? You do whatever you want, so will I. You could always double your dsc if that would make you feel any better

Why so defensive? Like you said, do what you want, as will I. I hope you enjoy escalating your issue up the chain of command on the ship. I intend to spend my free time out on my balcony sipping a drink or two. :)

Like I said, if it's such a big deal, then why not contact MCL and see if you can resolve it to your satisfaction ahead of time. Why run the risk of an unpleasant confrontation on board the ship? When you're on vacation you might as well do your best to enjoy it.

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

Personally, I can't wait until the day when NCL changes the policy to make the DSC a mandatory line item on the initial invoice that can NOT be adjusted by the guest while onboard.

Then we can finally be done with these silly threads.

the-cat-out-the-bag.jpg :eek:

Personally, I can't wait until the day when NCL changes the policy to make the DSC a mandatory line item on the initial invoice that can NOT be adjusted by the guest while onboard.

Then we can finally be done with these silly threads.

the-cat-out-the-bag.jpg :eek:

Sales of tranquilizers will double !!! Especially for LMB.

Why so defensive? Like you said, do what you want, as will I. I hope you enjoy escalating your issue up the chain of command on the ship. I intend to spend my free time out on my balcony sipping a drink or two. :)

Like I said, if it's such a big deal, then why not contact MCL and see if you can resolve it to your satisfaction ahead of time. Why run the risk of an unpleasant confrontation on board the ship? When you're on vacation you might as well do your best to enjoy it.

That part of the contract is fine with me. They leave it up to the passengers to decide if they want to adjust it or not. You're the one who seems to have a problem with it. Maybe you should follow your own advice.

I did call NCL and just got off the phone. I asked if the DSC charge can be stopped, they said yes. I asked under what circumstances can DSC be turned off, they replied it is at the discretion of the guest. I simply called the phone number provided here. If you do not believe me, which you don't, you can call for yourself. If you couldn't care less you'd stop badgering me.

I am removing the DSC and paying all cash my next trip. If you don't like it, don't do it that way.

Nobody ever said you couldn't do this.

That it's a colossal waste of time and energy has really been the point.

Amen! Salute2.gifGreat.gif

Actually, the answer is completely within the contract verbiage. No where in the contract does it say the DSC can be removed for any reason, only adjusted if a service issue cannot be corrected.