Renting a jeep

colesc15

Looking to rent a jeep for the day. Only one I have emailed so far is Jays and they want 165 dollars for the day. Anyone else recently rented one and for how much? Is it pretty easy to see all the sights on the island and the hidden gems too? Going next month

Have not rented from Jays before but I have rented from Hertz. They have a location less than a 10 minute walk from the port. I don't know if they have jeeps but I have rented mid size cars for less than $50 for the day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The island is fairly small and you should be able to hit most of the major attractions in a day. You just won't be able to spend a lot of time at each. If you plan to visit Arikok National Park, I highly suggest a Jeep. We were given bad advice and told we could do it in our mid size car. Even the person collecting our park admission of $10 pp said we would be fine. No chance, deep drainage gullies across the road every few hundred feet. Twenty bucks wasted.

Have not rented from Jays before but I have rented from Hertz. They have a location less than a 10 minute walk from the port. I don't know if they have jeeps but I have rented mid size cars for less than $50 for the day.

What hertz office is closest to the cruise port? It looks like they have multiple

What hertz office is closest to the cruise port? It looks like they have multiple

The closest one is at the

Renaissance Aruba Resort and Marina

Less then 10 minute walk

Looking to rent a jeep for the day. Only one I have emailed so far is Jays and they want 165 dollars for the day. Anyone else recently rented one and for how much? Is it pretty easy to see all the sights on the island and the hidden gems too? Going next month

Check places online and most will pick you up at the cruise port and bring you to their office. Be aware if you rent a regular car and go to the other side of the island, in most cases your insurance will not cover you if there is a problem. The terrain is very rocky/coral, not good for regular car tires and can easily result in a flat. If you arrive in the morning, sign up with ABC or DePalm jeep tours and let them take you all over the island. If you do rent a car and your cruise arrives early afternoon, make sure what time the rental office closes. Most go home between 5-6pm.

I agree that you really may want to consider a tour. Way less hassle and more interesting. No worries about getting stuck somewhere, car promised not being available, et.

I guess it just depends on the person. After years and years of doing excursions we no longer do any. We exclusively rent vehicles in all ports and do our own thing. We have been doing this for a while now and have had no hassles at all.

So I created a map of places to hit while touring Aruba.. They include:

Aruba Butterfly Farm, California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge, Arikok National Park, Bachelor's Beach, Baby Beach, and then back to the cruise terminal..

Is there anything I'm missing? Any of these places I should avoid for being unsafe? Let me know :)

Edited by colesc15

Aruba Butterfly Farm, California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge, Arikok National Park, Bachelor's Beach, Baby Beach, and then back to the cruise terminal.. Is there anything I'm missing? Any of these places I should avoid for being unsafe? Let me know :)

The itinerary is doable. What are your hours/day in port? Also, find out the time the rental agency closes. They do not have 24 hour service. The trip back from Baby Beach to town can be quite long beginning around 3pm. 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. I would start with Baby Beach and then work myself up the east side of the island and finish up at the Lighthouse before heading back.

We're in port until 10 pm, and I believe the rental place is open until 5 or 6

If you arrive at 1pm, you're cutting it too close to see all those things to get the car back before the rental office closes. If you go to Baby Beach, don't waste time going in the water since you'll need that time to see the rest of the island. Personally, as a beach, Baby Beach has gone downhill over the years and is not worth going to, but that's just my opinion. Again, start your day at Baby Beach and loop around the east side heading north. If you arrive in the morning, take as long as you want.

• 2 years later...

Aruba Butterfly Farm, California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge, Arikok National Park, Bachelor's Beach, Baby Beach, and then back to the cruise terminal..

Is there anything I'm missing? Any of these places I should avoid for being unsafe? Let me know :)

We're going to be in Aruba again next week and renting a jeep. Any additional places I need to add??