Heathrow hotel?

So I have reserved 2 rooms at the Arora on Bath but I just realized they charge for wi-fi. I think it is ridiculous to pay extra for wi-fi. I might have to with to Marriott where wi-fi is free. I did see on the Arora hotel website that Arora manages the Marriott Renaissance . I will have to find out if the Arora then accepts Marriott rewards as I would be eligible for free wi-fi through my rewards program. Does anyone know before i inquire about this?

I've never seen Arora mentioned on the Marriott website so I doubt they're affiliated (a same management company can have hotels with different brand affiliations).

FWIW, I've heard good things about both the Marriott and Renaissance LHR hotels. I think both would be a good option. Or, if you were interested in visiting Windsor, you could look into the Marriott Windsor (really Slough), which happens to be a Cat. 5 so if you have a Marriott Visa you could use the free night certificate you get with that card.

Just for the record, there is a Yotel at Heathrow T4. You can book for a certain number of hours, instead of having to pay for a full day.

I've stayed there overnight, after a very late evening arrival, before picking up a rental car the following morning. The rooms are very small, but they have all the essentials, and the bed was comfortable.

"Free internet"....

I have stayed in several of the Heathrow hotels and they all offered 'free' internet. In every case this only applied to the lobby. Internet in the rooms was chargeable at an extortionate rate.

Oh...this must be why Icelandair changed our terminal from T1 to T2? Are they renovating T1?
T1 will be closed after all the flights are transferred to other terminals by the end of June. Once that has been done, work can start on completing the T2 baggage handling system. (At present, the T1 baggage system is still being used by flights departing from T2 as well as those departing from and arriving at T1.) When the T2 baggage system has been fully installed and has taken over all of T2's baggage, T1 will then be demolished. After that, further bits of T2 will be built over the space that's currently occupied by T1.

We had a painfully early flight from Heathrow T5 flying Qantas to Rome and we stayed at the Sofitel. The tube didn't run as early as we needed to be at the airport and shuttles were expensive.

The Sofitel Heathrow was great. I am a frugal traveller but with advanced purchase it was a really great deal.

We ate at Carluccio's Italian restaurant in Terminal 5 - really nice food, I was concerned it would be weird having dinner there but it was great. We had breakfast in the terminal too. We stayed at the beginning of our trip and at the end and the Sofitel stored a bag for us for free. We had dinner at Carluccio's the second time we stayed at the Sofitel on the way home because it was so nice.

It is about a three minute walk from the hotel to the terminal - all inside (not just undercover and really easy to find). The hotel was lovely, really quiet and very luxurious. The restaurant was $$$$$ (so we didn't eat there).

The terminal had free wifi.

We would definitely stay there again, if the circumstances were the same.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I should just mention that there is a tube that travels between the terminals. Once you use it you will find it is easy to get around between terminals.

London tube services are incredible. They are really frequent (every 10 mins at the airport), very clean and there is no possibility of missing a stop as they announce the stations and have them on an overhead display board in each carriage.

We are also staying at Heathrow the day following our cruise. We booked the Holiday Inn London, Heathrow. This Holiday Inn is located on Bath Road, Sipson Way. According to the Holiday Inn folks it is 0.2Mi /0.32KM North. Follow the exit signs to A4 London. The map shows it to be on the left as you exit the airport via Main Tunnel. We will leaving the next day from Terminal 2. (Note: there are 3 Holiday Inns in the area. This one looks the closest to our departure terminal. Shuttle 4.50 GBP. Free public transportation via bus numbers 140, 285 and 105 from the Central Bus Station.

• 1 month later...
The Hoppa is perfect, if you overlook that it's slow, expensive, poor value, uncomfortable, infrequent and unreliable.

Not for nothing is it probably the world's most hated hotel transfer service.

Thanks! I was just about to post a question about Hoppa, and now I know to skip it.

We are also staying at Heathrow the day following our cruise. We booked the Holiday Inn London, Heathrow. This Holiday Inn is located on Bath Road, Sipson Way. According to the Holiday Inn folks it is 0.2Mi /0.32KM North. Follow the exit signs to A4 London. The map shows it to be on the left as you exit the airport via Main Tunnel. We will leaving the next day from Terminal 2. (Note: there are 3 Holiday Inns in the area. This one looks the closest to our departure terminal. Shuttle 4.50 GBP. Free public transportation via bus numbers 140, 285 and 105 from the Central Bus Station.

I have stayed there a couple of times as they do a good deal with parking. It is a big chain hotel and pretty much what you would expect. Unless it has changed, wifi is only free in the lobby. I strongly suggest that you ask the concierge to book you a taxi in the morning and if breakfast is not included in your hotel deal, have it at the terminal instead, after you drop your bags.

We had a painfully early flight from Heathrow T5 flying Qantas to Rome and we stayed at the Sofitel. The tube didn't run as early as we needed to be at the airport and shuttles were expensive.

The Sofitel Heathrow was great. I am a frugal traveller but with advanced purchase it was a really great deal.

We ate at Carluccio's Italian restaurant in Terminal 5 - really nice food, I was concerned it would be weird having dinner there but it was great. We had breakfast in the terminal too. We stayed at the beginning of our trip and at the end and the Sofitel stored a bag for us for free. We had dinner at Carluccio's the second time we stayed at the Sofitel on the way home because it was so nice.

It is about a three minute walk from the hotel to the terminal - all inside (not just undercover and really easy to find). The hotel was lovely, really quiet and very luxurious. The restaurant was $$$$$ (so we didn't eat there).

The terminal had free wifi.

We would definitely stay there again, if the circumstances were the same.

Actually it's not all inside. There is one point where you need to come out of the elevator to the outside, make a quick left, and go into the terminal doors for departures level which is where the restaurants are In addition to Carluccio's there is a 5Tuns and something else, can't recall what. You are outside for under three meters, so no big deal, but you are outside.

Afternoon tea at the Sofitel was fairly reasonable, but dinner at the French restaurant was outrageously expensive, so we passed.

Edited by ducklite

In addition to Carluccio's there is a 5Tuns and something else, can't recall what.
We went to a Carluccio's recently for dinner when we needed some and it was the most appealing option nearby - I can't even remember where that was now. Even though we knew that it was good, we were still pleasantly surprised by how good the menu and food were. I would say that this is definitely the place for dinner at T5 landside.

In addition to the Five Tuns, there's also a branch of Caffe Nero at the top (north) end, but that is what it sounds like - not really dinner stuff. And there's nothing that would fit the bill on the arrivals level either.

I can't remember having to go outside to get to the Sofitel, but as I've only been there once I wouldn't rely on my memory.

We went to a Carluccio's recently for dinner when we needed some and it was the most appealing option nearby - I can't even remember where that was now. Even though we knew that it was good, we were still pleasantly surprised by how good the menu and food were. I would say that this is definitely the place for dinner at T5 landside.

In addition to the Five Tuns, there's also a branch of Caffe Nero at the top (north) end, but that is what it sounds like - not really dinner stuff. And there's nothing that would fit the bill on the arrivals level either.

I can't remember having to go outside to get to the Sofitel, but as I've only been there once I wouldn't rely on my memory.

Good info on Carluccios. You are correct about Cafe Nero. It is good for a coffee or tea and a pastry, but nothing more than that.

I am sure about having to step out of the elevator into the passenger drop off area. Protected by an overhang but definitely outdoors. You make a left and an immediate 180 degree turn to walk into the terminal. We just did it a couple of times only a month ago, so the memory is quite fresh. :)

Good info on Carluccios. You are correct about Cafe Nero. It is good for a coffee or tea and a pastry, but nothing more than that.

I am sure about having to step out of the elevator into the passenger drop off area. Protected by an overhang but definitely outdoors. You make a left and an immediate 180 degree turn to walk into the terminal. We just did it a couple of times only a month ago, so the memory is quite fresh. :)

Yes, correct, out into the air, under cover, then into Termial 5:)

I am sure about having to step out of the elevator into the passenger drop off area. Protected by an overhang but definitely outdoors. You make a left and an immediate 180 degree turn to walk into the terminal. We just did it a couple of times only a month ago, so the memory is quite fresh.
Yes, correct, out into the air, under cover, then into Termial 5:)
Thanks! I need to contrive another excuse to stay there some time.