2/14/15/ Papeete-Lima finally!

findacruise

Happy Valentine's Day to me, my DH and all of you! After 13 months of waiting we will be boarding the Mariner today. So looking forward to this escape from winter. After reading everything about the Mariner recently, I am interested in evaluating the experience for myself. We have sailed on the Voyager and fell in love with her when we stepped on board.

Last Friday we received an upsell offer through our TA and accepted it to a PH on deck 11. Our Valentine's gift to each other.:) I do not thnk this cruise is full. We are looking forward to the extra space since there are a number of sea days. Liked the layout of the PH, too.

Currently in our hotel room at the Intercontinental. It is satisfactory - has some age on it, but the bed slept well and the staff very gracious. As an OP mentioned the prices are very high, but hey, if we can afford the cruise .......etc, etc,

We upgraded to business class and flew Air France from LA, where we had stopped for 6 days to visit family etc. I think the food and wine was good, but did not partke. The flight took off at 12:30 am yesterday and I just don't eat a full course dinner with wine etc starting at 1 am and then try to sleep. They woke us at 4am Tahiti time for breakfast and by the time they got to our row, they were out of the choice we both wanted - just 1 left so we shared. Airline gripe - you pay for business class and then can't get what you want to eat! Oh well, small sniggly thing. Not ruin my vacation!

Will post more later if the internet gods cooperate and I'm not enjoying myself so much that I can't take time out. Now it's my turn to shower and greet the day. Cheers.

Happy Valentine's Day! Looking forward to "virtually" joining you on your cruise. You will love the PH suite in the Mariner -- it is the best PH on any of the ships (by far).

How were the seats on the Air France flight? Were there flat or angled flat? In terms of food choices, not having our choice of food happens most of the time on British Airways. Since we expect it to happen, we fill up on food in the BA lounge at the airport:-)

We're on the same cruise, also on deck 11. Maybe we'll meet you at the block party. Had a nice first day in Papeete, where we went for a half day tour if the interior with a few other couples. Jet lagged now, but trying to stay up for dinner. Sue and Jack

A bit of roll last night - or rock, but not both. Never sure which is which. First, I want to say that embarkation yesteday was as smooth as it possibly could get. Bus borught us to the dock, filled out health form, security looked at passport, boarded ship, went to theater, no line and on our way to La Veranda. Maybe took 10 minutes from time we got to the pier.:)

Air France Seats - were not lie flat as older plane, but were better than any non-lie flats we've had. DH is 6'2" and had plenty of room for his feet. Plus, didn't feel like sliding all the time. My complaint is no leg rest unless you start to recline. But a positive. I am vertically challenged and my feet usually don't touch. But with these seats I could put my feet on the edge of the foot cut out even with the seat in upright position. There was also plenty of storage space for small items under the seat in front and between, which is nice. Nicest amenity kit we have had.

Love the PH and the softer colors. The sectional is comfy and will be great when having people in the suite. I did mention to our butler I thought there was a chair in a picture I had seen and he said there used to be but is no longer! Not a big deal, but at least I know I'm not crazy - well at least not about that.

Going to finish this post while internet cooperative and will post about other things later. Besdies, been awake for hours and needing a ggood coffee fix.....and it's my turn for the electrical outlet at the table.

We're on the same cruise, also on deck 11. Maybe we'll meet you at the block party. Had a nice first day in Papeete, where we went for a half day tour if the interior with a few other couples. Jet lagged now, but trying to stay up for dinner. Sue and Jack

Hope to meet you, too. We are on the port side.

Joanna (& Miles)

The internet is cooperative so I will continue now that I have had breakfast. We are anchored off Huahine. Very windy but just cloudy. Our excursion is this afternoon so hoping weather will hold.

Last night had cocktails with friends in the Mariner lounge. Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the comfy furniture. Went in to dinner about 7:15?? Took a long time, but didn't mind as we had a lot to catch up on. Everyone, except me, enjoyed their entree. I had marlin and it was tough. I ate just a few bites. I still had enough to eat so didn't send it back. Chef came by the table and asked about it when he saw it on my plate. Evidently I wasn't the only one. He said "No more marlin - ever!" He said it had been ordered before he came on the ship. It is very hard to cook, especially on their equipment and apologized. Before we left the ladies were each given red roses for Valentines' Day. Nice touch. This Compass Rose feels less crowded than Voyager as far as distance between tables. Maybe it was the section we were in. Will see if it holds true in other location, but no getting bumped into by staff or other diners. Good service and willing to change wines with no questions.

Breakfast this morning was very busy in La Veranda. We got there about 7:45. Compass Rose wasn't open yet. Everyone was up and around early and we, among others, were lurking, waiting for tables to be cleared. Shortly after we were seated they opened the outside deck. Do find the pass through from one side to the other a bottle neck. I think people believe there is different food on the other side. Although today we used it to see if there was a table.

Am currently in the computer room. There are 16 stations. Interesting choice of chairs, as they are regular LR/office type of chairs. No wheels and not adjustable. So, I am sitting very low with my arms angled upward and my shoulders actually starting to ache. Wish I could make the seat higher - maybe I should get a stack of Regent catalogs and sit on them? ;)

Time to go prowl around the rest of the ship, but first I will take advantage of the coffee connection right outside the computer room. Did find La Veranda coffee tolerable - strong which is OK with us, but not like "handmade"

Thanks for the update. I forgot about those silly chairs in the computer room -- it made me feel like a child in a "big person chair". It would cost Regent very little to replace them. If you have time, maybe you could mention them on your mid-cruise review. I forgot to do that when we were onboard.

Thanks for the update. I forgot about those silly chairs in the computer room -- it made me feel like a child in a "big person chair". It would cost Regent very little to replace them. If you have time, maybe you could mention them on your mid-cruise review. I forgot to do that when we were onboard.

TC2 I will mention the chairs - others are commenting, too and not just about the ones in computer room. Someone said - they are all heavy!

in multicolored blue waters, warm/hot weather and sunny to partly cloudy sky. We have now been to Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and are anchored off Rangiroa. Feel very fortunate. I won't spend a lot of time on our shore excusrions, other than to say we have been very pleased.

On Huahine we had an anthropologist - American married to a local, lived on the island for 20 years, still travels etc. He covered modern French Polynesia, it's dependence on French aid, current lifestyle, etc. first and then worked his way back in history to the actual migration of people to the area as we visited the scared sites. No just spouting off of dates. Wish more tours were conducted this way. A real feel for the area and the people and culture and why it is the way it is. Would have loved to have him as a college professor.

Yesterday we did an island tour of Bora Bora and had a good guide, too. The area is absolutely gorgeous. Tendering has been very smooth and organized from the theater. Have noticed no pushing or shoving etc.

Glad to be missing the brutally cold weather at home!!

Much has been written and will probably continue to be about food and service. So I will add to the tomes with what I have experienced thus far. I know you are all on pins and needles!! LOL.

With the exception of the marlin I wrote of earlier, I have zero complaints about the food. Sunday night in CR I had an outstanding Osso Bucco from the Canyon Ranch Spa selection. Last night when we went to CR after the Captain's Reception, we were asked if we'd like to dine at Signatures, as they had tables available. We said yes and 4 of us went up. My veal marsala was outstanding and one of our friends said the halibut preparation was the best she had had. High praise.

The desserts have been delicious - I skip other courses to not feel so guilty about having dessert. ;) Standard fare at breakfast and have had lunch just once because of tour timing. Hope to go to CR for breakfast come sea days, if I can convince DH.

Speaking of the Captain's Reception - maybe I am jaded now, but it felt like a rerun. Comments and "jokes" at introductions seem to be the same. (In their defense I'm sure it's tiresome for them since they do it so often) but it really doesn't seem like an event. Not very well attended either. Although I haven't found out yet how full the ship is. It's also odd not to have the usual toast. I would think that even though they don't drink, they'd at least have ginger ale or something in a champagne glass.

Let me know if there's anything about Mariner you want to know and I'll try to answer. I have to say I think so far I like the layout of some of the public spaces better on here than the Voyager. ... especially the coffee connection bar, seating area, food etc.

Time to go enjoy the ship before going to see the little fishy through the looking glass!

[

"Let me know if there's anything about Mariner you want to know and I'll try to answer."

Thanks for the update -- glad to hear positive comments. Re your offer -- we are boarding in Rio, interested in names of the Captain, GM and F&B Manager and when they get off?

Many thanks, smooth cruising.

[

"Let me know if there's anything about Mariner you want to know and I'll try to answer."

Thanks for the update -- glad to hear positive comments. Re your offer -- we are boarding in Rio, interested in names of the Captain, GM and F&B Manager and when they get off?

Many thanks, smooth cruising.

Captain: Teo Srdelic

Gen Mgr: Massimo Arzani

F&B: Donald Curbelo

I asked about Rio and was told the captain will probably be the same, but never 100% sure. He got on in Sydney. GM getting off and Franck Galtzy getting back on (he got off in Sydney). F&B probably staying on.

So far sailing has been relatively smooth. We leave the Society Islands today and head out toward Pitcairn. Looking forward to Terry Breen lectures beginning.

Yesterday I decided to check out the Observation Lounge,having not been up there yet. It was about 3:30 and quiet around. I opened the port side door, walked in to an empty area and immediately was speechless (not that there was anyone with me to talk to). The bar tender quickly asked if I wanted anything and brought me back to reality. I thanked him and said no, I was just looking around.

I was surprised to see the very light, almost white, short backed barrel looking chairs everywhere! 4 of them pushed up against a table and then occasionally 2 same color chairs with no arms facing each other with a table in between. The "barrel" chairs do have a patterned back inset with creamy beige in it, but the overall effect is still bright throughout. And there is purple looking light in the ceiling.

To me there is nothing inviting about the space. It is cold and not comfy feeling at all like the other lounges. The chairs are very heavy and do not move easily. (a trend here)The bar stools are a dark color. Perhaps it will feel differently when I go there and the room has people in it. My guess is no, but I will give it a try one evening. Again, it's my opinion.

I was reading your in a PH suite on deck 11, we will be in suite 1112 in April so just wondering if you had any good or bad points on it, it's location etc, I believe although I could be wrong that there's only a shower in the bathroom. Any comments would be appreciated, but whatever happens enjoy your cruise.

I asked about Rio and was told the captain will probably be the same, but never 100% sure. He got on in Sydney. GM getting off and Franck Galtzy getting back on (he got off in Sydney). F&B probably staying on.

Thank you very much -- enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Let me make sure I understand........ Massimo is the GM now and Franck Galzy is getting back on? Fingers crossed that I read that correctly. Also thrilled that Donald may still be on -- we adore him! Thanks so much for getting that information for us:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Let me make sure I understand........ Massimo is the GM now and Franck Galzy is getting back on? Fingers crossed that I read that correctly. Also thrilled that Donald may still be on -- we adore him! Thanks so much for getting that information for us:-)

You read it correctly. Remember I am only the messenger and cannot warrant the accuracy!;)

We went to the lounge for cocktails last night and it does look better when it has people in it. My DH pointed out that it is clean and breezy looking and provides great views for everyone since there are not high back chairs to look over.

The chair was comfortable for me as I am vertically challenged. He is 6'2" but did not complain. It would be a great place to watch going through the canal since you would have a clear view with no one in your way. And nice for sailaways.

Enough on this topic as everyone will have their own opinion. Just passing along my opinion.

I was reading your in a PH suite on deck 11, we will be in suite 1112 in April so just wondering if you had any good or bad points on it, it's location etc, I believe although I could be wrong that there's only a shower in the bathroom. Any comments would be appreciated, but whatever happens enjoy your cruise.

Glad to answer later. Right now internet deathly slow and uncooperative. Logging off but will get back to you. We are in that suite.:)

Chaltonkerry - my thoughts on our suite:

Pros: Location great for access to stairs, elevator, pool deck, La Veranda. Quiet. No foot traffic since secluded area. Suite stewardess and steward have been excellent.

Cons: We have had high waves and winds so feel it much more because of high deck. Lots of movement. One night had to call because furniture not tied down well on 12 and they had to send people up to take care of.We could hear it above us. Also, still fighting some problem with air conditioning. If we don't keep our drapes closed all the time it is hot even with the air as cold as it will go.

Let me know if have other questions.

We will be at Pitcairn Island tomorrow. The captain has reported we won't know until then if we will be able to go ashore. And that is usually the case since the island sits in the middle of the Pacific and has no real shelter. If we get to go ashore it will probably be in the long boats with the islanders coming to get us. The weather may not allow it. If not, they hope the locals can come aboard to speak with us and bring local items to sell. Currently our swells are 9-10 ft and winds at 25 knots.

Terry Breen is lecturing on board. Yesterday she spoke on Polynesia migration and what excellent seafarers they were. Today another outstanding lecture on Pitcairn Island and Mutiny on the Bounty - the facts and not the movie! She is an excellent speaker.

Having a great cruise. :):):)