2/14/15/ Papeete-Lima finally!

findacruise

Looking forward to hearing about Pitcairn Island. It seems that passengers are rarely able to get to the island. Hope the locals will be able to come onboard.

Sounds like some rough seas. If they feel rough on the Mariner, they must be high since, IMO, she is most stable ship of the fleet.

Your comments about the Observation Lounge are very interesting. We used to love that lounge but didn't care for the "high chairs" at the bar when we were onboard last (but do love the new look).

Chaltonkerry - my thoughts on our suite:

Pros: Location great for access to stairs, elevator, pool deck, La Veranda. Quiet. No foot traffic since secluded area. Suite stewardess and steward have been excellent.

Cons: We have had high waves and winds so feel it much more because of high deck. Lots of movement. One night had to call because furniture not tied down well on 12 and they had to send people up to take care of.We could hear it above us. Also, still fighting some problem with air conditioning. If we don't keep our drapes closed all the time it is hot even with the air as cold as it will go.

Let me know if have other questions.

Thanks for the above, we will be in the Mediterranean so hopefully we won't be suffering from the rough seas you are at the moment, also i own an air conditioning and refrigeration company, so you never know I might even be able to sort that out as well. 😄

Mutiny on the bounty is an interesting bit of history, and like a lot of British history has been distorted by the cinema, properly explains why I don't go very often, been interesting to heard her take on it, I think poor old captain Bligh wasn't as bad as he was painted in the film. You are on a wonderful cruise and I am really enjoying your postings.

Hi,

I am also on board, having a great time, only one blemish so far, a bad meal, it happens.

Have posted a few photos of the first few ports online if you are interested, will catch up (hopefully) within in the next day or so, but the internet has been very uncooperative (being extremely polite!!).

Please use this link

http://ozstravels.com/category/cruises/2015-south-pacific/

Looking forward to Pitcairn as, weather permitting, we will get to go ashore. Unfortunately we are in seas that feel like a sea state 7 or 8, a swell of 30ft or more, with winds of around 40 knots, so doubtful that we get the opportunity to even meet the folks from Pitcairn.:(

Cheers,

Gwain

Looking forward to hearing about Pitcairn Island. It seems that passengers are rarely able to get to the island. Hope the locals will be able to come onboard.

Sounds like some rough seas. If they feel rough on the Mariner, they must be high since, IMO, she is most stable ship of the fleet.

Your comments about the Observation Lounge are very interesting. We used to love that lounge but didn't care for the "high chairs" at the bar when we were onboard last (but do love the new look).

Sorry to report the conditions so bad that the Pitcairnians (?) would not risk coming aboard! Disappointing, and sure hope the same doesn't happen with Easter Island, but always a risk. The Captain did a circle around the island for the port and starboard sides of the ship so everyone could get a look at Bounty Bay and the island and then left.

Another lecture by Terry Breen softened the blow a bit. She did the first voyage of Captain Cook. Tomorrow she is doing Easter Island and is also going to condense lectures she has on Cook's voyages 2&3 into another lecture for us.

I will check out the bar chairs. I think they are high backs. I recall you and Denis sit at the bar in observation lounge.

Hi,

I am also on board, having a great time, only one blemish so far, a bad meal, it happens.

Have posted a few photos of the first few ports online if you are interested, will catch up (hopefully) within in the next day or so, but the internet has been very uncooperative (being extremely polite!!).

Please use this link

http://ozstravels.com/category/cruises/2015-south-pacific/

Looking forward to Pitcairn as, weather permitting, we will get to go ashore. Unfortunately we are in seas that feel like a sea state 7 or 8, a swell of 30ft or more, with winds of around 40 knots, so doubtful that we get the opportunity to even meet the folks from Pitcairn.:(

Cheers,

Gwain

Tried to look at your pictures but as you can imagine, the internet doesn't want me to! I had some very tough prime rib in Prime 7. Only "bad" food we've had. Found food in Signatures better than Prime 7,which is the opposite of our last cruise on Voyager. We have another booking in each, so I will see if that holds true the second time.

Have enjoyed Chef Kelly. He is around every night looking at plates and talking to people. If he sees someone has left a lot of food he is there and wants to know if something is wrong. When he did his cooking demo yesterday I though it was very telling when he asked the audience if there was anyone he hadn't met yet and the audience was silent.

Glad you are having a great time - we are too, but hoping for calmer waters!

I will check out the bar chairs. I think they are high backs. I recall you and Denis sit at the bar in observation lounge.

Sorry that the weather conditions prevented a visit from the locals. Hoping that you have better luck with on Easter Island. It's great that you have Terry Breen onboard. She will be on our cruise as well.

Thanks for checking out the bar chairs. To me it was the height of the chairs that made them uncomfortable. I am 5' 3" tall and felt like a child in a high chair.

Interesting comment about Signatures and P7.

Tried to look at your pictures but as you can imagine, the internet doesn't want me to! I had some very tough prime rib in Prime 7. Only "bad" food we've had. Found food in Signatures better than Prime 7,which is the opposite of our last cruise on Voyager. We have another booking in each, so I will see if that holds true the second time.

I have stayed away from the prime rib, had the rib eye on the bone instead, it was great. My poor dish was in Sette Mari.

If you see a guy down near coffee connection, probably on one of the chess board tables, on a small laptop that should be me, so I can show / share my photos with you. Usually there in the mornings whilst at sea!

Those with a penchant for the history of the Bounty may enjoy this book which deconstructs many of the myths surrounding same: "The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty" by Caroline Alexander.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bounty-True-Story-Mutiny/dp/0142004693/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1424569165&sr=1-3

Edited by OctoberKat

I have stayed away from the prime rib, had the rib eye on the bone instead, it was great. My poor dish was in Sette Mari.

If you see a guy down near coffee connection, probably on one of the chess board tables, on a small laptop that should be me, so I can show / share my photos with you. Usually there in the mornings whilst at sea!

What did you have in Sette Mari that was poor? We generally have Occo Buco there.

BTW, we love to sit in the area near the coffee connection where you sit in the morning. The Mariner definitely has the nicest coffee connection of any of the Regent ships.

What did you have in Sette Mari that was poor? We generally have Occo Buco there.

BTW, we love to sit in the area near the coffee connection where you sit in the morning. The Mariner definitely has the nicest coffee connection of any of the Regent ships.

Had the veal scallopini with marsala sauce, the osso buco tonight was excellent.To be honest it was the first time I have had a bad dish in Sette Mari on my three cruises

The coffee connection is better now that the art space stealers are gone, so much more space and decent tables for me to edit and post photos:D

Had the veal scallopini with marsala sauce, the osso buco tonight was excellent.To be honest it was the first time I have had a bad dish in Sette Mari on my three cruises

The coffee connection is better now that the art space stealers are gone, so much more space and decent tables for me to edit and post photos:D

Thanks for the response. We have had problems with veal dishes on Regent in the past. Glad you enjoyed the osso buco (which I horribly misspelled:p )

Sorry that the weather conditions prevented a visit from the locals. Hoping that you have better luck with on Easter Island. It's great that you have Terry Breen onboard. She will be on our cruise as well.

Thanks for checking out the bar chairs. To me it was the height of the chairs that made them uncomfortable. I am 5' 3" tall and felt like a child in a high chair.

Interesting comment about Signatures and P7.

I am same height and wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on the bar stools, but you may feel differently. Do find the chairs fit well in the lounge, though.

Weather report for Easter Island is encouraging. last night our suite was rather rolly. I will have to think twice about being this high up on a cruise with this much wide open ocean at this time of year. It doesn't make me ill, I just can't seem to sleep soundly and am feeling a bit deprived.:)

Interesting - I have had great veal marsala and osso bucco. Love the coffee connections on this ship. I'll keep an eye out for you. I often stop after Terry's lecture. My husband has a lot of pictures, too, but none from snorkeling. Thanks.

Excellent! Terry Breen prepared us well for this stop. We had the good fortune to be able to tender in to the remotest place on earth! Amazing to think that it was settled by the Polynesians using only the stars, the sea the weather and their brains.

I doubt that we will ever make it back here again, but there was so much that we did not get to see. There is commercial airline service so to anyone really interested in spending time here, that is an option. The moai are truly amazing, especially when one knows they were carved using just stone - no metal tools - and it is still not know exactly how they were moved in to place. Unfortunately our tour was not the best choice, as we ended up without a guide in our vehicle and our tour did not visit a quarry. But, so goes it. Still saw some moai and the beautiful island. The entire history of the rise and fall of their civilization on the island is very interesting. I am so glad my brain is being exercised, since I know my body isn't getting enough. :rolleyes:

Now we are at sea again today and will arrive in Lima on Sunday. A lot of time at sea from Tahiti to make it to Easter Island and now to get to Lima, but am very glad I got to go there. It is truly unique.

Your Cruise Director, Willie Ames, posted some great pictures from Easter Island on his Facebook page! It must have been amazing to have been there.

One last request (you guys have been so kind in finding out information for us). I've been trying to figure out why the coffee is better on Oceania than Regent. Both ships use "Illy" coffee beans. When I was on Oceania in November I noted that they use "Espresso" beans. So, I'm wondering if someone in the Coffee Connection would know if Regent also uses "Espresso" beans or another type of bean. If they use the same beans, the difference would come down to the machines. If the machines are not maintained perfectly, it affects the coffee taste. It could also be that newer coffee machines on Oceania's Riviera are simply producing a better cup of coffee. Once we get to the bottom of it, maybe Regent will be able to improve the taste of the coffee on Regent. All of this research from someone who only drinks coffee occasionally ;)

Just getting caught up on your report as we have been cruising ourselves on silversea.

Totally agree about the prime rib. I recommend the dover sole in prime 7, or if you want beef, something that is bone in. I also avoid the veal in Sette Mare.

Too bad about Pitcairn island. We had considered this cruise, but it had a lot of sea days, and with the probability of missing Pitcairn, we decided on the silversea New Zealand cruise instead. Easter island is definitely on the bucket list though.

We are finally home and unpacked, after receiving a delayed bag the next day. I plan to write about the Mariner and final thoughts, but am busy in my kitchen - our renovation was completed while we were gone and I now have to put everything back!

I must say I do miss the ship and especially the weather. Came home to a fresh 8 inches of snow, but thankfully our landscaper had plowed and shoveled so we were able to get into the house.

Will write next under a separate heading.