Calling all scuba divers! How are the O diving excursions?

Leejnd4

Helloooo divers! :) I'm an avid scuba diver and amateur underwater photographer, and first-time O cruiser. I'm doing a Caribbean itinerary on Riviera in January, and I will want to get in all the bottom time I can. I see that O does offer some diving excursions for certified divers in some of the ports.

My question is, how are these excursions? Do they tend towards cattle boats crammed with newbies? Or do they take smaller groups with more personalized service?

There is value in booking the ship tours...convenience, cancellations due to skipping a port, etc. But I also know that some cruise lines do a really poor job on diving excursions, while others do great. So I'm looking for some feedback on how Oceania's diving tours tend to be. If they are not worth the premium you always pay for any tour through the ship, I'll look for local dive shops.

Thanks!

LeeAnne,

Just a guess on my part since we aren't divers and haven't taken any of these excursions. But if they are geared towards certified divers my guess is that you'd be pleased with the result. My question is: are you SURE these tours are for certified divers?

If so, it could well be better than finding one on your own.

We had a good friend who was an avid diver like you, she went to many Caribbean ports for diving on her own. (She didn't cruise because she said she got seasick ...) It was her favorite activity in life, next to books!

Mura

Hi Mura,

I've been surfing the O website, and have discovered that they offer dive excursions at two of our ports: Grand Turk and Tortola. These are for certified divers...in fact the one in Tortola requires advanced certification, as it's on a wreck that goes to 80 ft deep. The descriptions sound great, and the prices are not too much above what I could get through a local dive shop, so that may be the way to go.

However, I would want to avoid them and see what I can find on my own if other divers report that they had a bad experience, such as too many on the boat, not enough guides for the number of divers, rushed dives with short bottom times, etc.

We had a bad experience once on another cruise ship, where they sent off 24 divers crammed into one small boat with only two guides...it was chaos! Contrast that with the dives off the Paul Gauguin, with small groups, personalized service, expert divemasters...which of course isn't really fair since the PG has its own dive team. But anyway, you get the idea. :-)

I'm with your friend...scuba diving is my passion! I'd rather be under water than on top of it. ;-) And I do hope to get lots of diving in on this trip. I dive a lot here at home, but the water is c-c-c-cold! So I'm always thrilled to get a chance to dive in warm water, without having to feel like a stuffed sausage crammed into my thick wetsuit.

I'm already reaching out to dive shops at the other ports, so it's looking good so far. Thanks for the feedback!

LeeAnne, have you asked Divers Network about suggestions?

We are members through our friend's recommendation, but since we aren't divers we only have the insurance coverage. I'm just wondering if they might help you. I'd leave the link to their website except that I'm sure you know who I'm talking about!

Mura

\

Yes I do. :) Actually Scubaboard is probably my best bet for finding out information about diving at each of the ports...they are kinda like a Cruise Critic for diving. I've been scrolling through their Caribbean forum to find recommendations for dive shops at the various ports. But they won't have any info about cruise line dive excursions...most people on Scubaboard wouldn't set foot on a cruise ship if you paid them.

Fortunately I know better. ;)

We went with Blue Water Divers for snorkeling in Grand Turk and liked them very much. Only 4 people in our boat as opposed to 30+ on a ship's tour. Have not been diving in years but if I get recertified I would use them next time we're there. They should pop up on your search.

We were active divers for 35 years (retired from it - tanks were getting too heavy - ladders too steep). We never took dive excursions from cruise ships, all of diving was done from liveaboard dive boats and land based dive resorts. The only exception was diving from the Paul Gouguin in French Polynesia - check it out!

We were active divers for 35 years (retired from it - tanks were getting too heavy - ladders too steep). We never took dive excursions from cruise ships, all of diving was done from liveaboard dive boats and land based dive resorts. The only exception was diving from the Paul Gouguin in French Polynesia - check it out!

Oh yes, I've been on the PG twice...in fact that was the last cruise I was on, two years ago. They have a fabulous dive team!

Queen, I'll check them out. I'm thinking I will stick with private shops at all the ports. Thanks for the info!

We are another couple who would prefer to find a small private diving company rather than a ship tour. We always look for a PADI certified dive shop. With the ship - you do not know what you are getting.

I've found great PADI dive shops at all of the ports where I'll be diving, so I'm going to go that route. Thanks for the feedback!