First time cruisers - dare to DIY?

BigTurv

Thank you all for your helpful feedback; it's settled DIY it is [emoji1]

Good for you!

I do understand it can be a bit daunting not knowing what to expect on your first cruise, but everything will slot into place very quickly and don't forget chatting to other passengers can be a really good source of info - we often collect information about beaches, good places to visit, opinions about excursions and how easy it is to use local transport etc for future reference.

I'm sure after a DiY at Cartegena you will see how easy it is at some ports to do your own thing - and as your confidence grows, you will soon become more adventurous (within sensible limits of course! :D) Enjoy your trip! :)

Hi folks, first post and soon go be going on my first cruise.

If the itinerary is to be believed and there's no surprises, I'm lined up with 5 pre-booked excursions out of the 7 port days. I did this for peace of mind being a first timer, but also because it means I can ensure I see/do what I want on those days without having to worry about getting distracted or delayed and the ship leaving without me. Any time spent clock watching is time and brain power not dedicated to enjoying where I am.

The couple of days I have nothing planned are ones where there are no travelling, and everything I'm liable to do will be walking distance from the dock.

If the itinerary is to be believed and there's no surprises, I'm lined up with 5 pre-booked excursions out of the 7 port days. I did this for peace of mind being a first timer, but also because it means I can ensure I see/do what I want on those days without having to worry about getting distracted or delayed and the ship leaving without me.

Im planning to do the same for my first cruise this May. Im definitely doing the Rome excursion as I think its quite a distance from port, which increases the chances of the return bus/train/taxi being delayed, thus ruining my holiday. As long as I'm sat on the excursion bus then I won't give a damn!

Edited by Big Stevie