MDR on Epic

Tudorcruisers

You will get a lot of different opinions because it is a matter of opinion, but I think the MDR food is pretty good. Not fantastic, but pretty good.

There may be a lot of speciality restaurants, but the majority of people are eating in the free venues every day.

Food is a subjective topic. On the Epic, we ate at the various free food venues all but 2 nights. All lunches/breakfasts were also eaten at the free food venues. We have had no problems with the food. It's not gourmet. But it is acceptable quality to us. Going on the Epic for a second time in 2 weeks and looking forward to all aspects of the cruise.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We just got off the Epic a couple weeks ago and only ate in the complimentary dining areas. We've never tried a specialty restaurant and are not opposed to trying one. We've just not had a bad MDR meal, so we continue to go there. The selection on the menu is good and our meals were also very good.

The amount of speciality restaurants comes from Freestyle Cruising concept where you can have more options for where to eat (and for speciality restaurants for very reasonable price I might add - our last cruise was on Celebrity and I was almost shocked after seeing the speciality cover charges there).

While the quality of course is usually a bit better in speciality restaurants because of the extra cover charge, we haven't had too many disappointments with the quality of foods/venues that are complimentary. And after the menus were updated last year, there have been even more good comments about the food quality in MDRs - foodies have no problem saying that it could be better but I think that it is of good value.