Aft balcony

Cruisegirl6

Not sure if that's a good thing! My husband and I took our first cruise 2 weeks ago on the Epic and had Aft cabin 10318. It's an end cabin and we LOVED it! In fact, my husband has declared that is the only place he wants to be when we cruise again!

Our friends had a mini suite with balcony and they kept coming to our cabin to visit because they just loved the wake and the view. Got some fantastic sunset pics.

We were also next to the door leading to the crew stairwell so we would go out there to get a port side view occasionally too.

We did have the vibration from time to time, going into port but not enough to bother us at all.

Looking forward to our next cruise, knowing DH "insists" on an Aft Balcony!:)

We had 14278 on Breakaway in April. We knew there would be noise from Spice H2O... it was noticeable but not impossible and it wasn't all evenings.

This cabin has one of the smallest aft balconies and it was still much larger than a standard balcony, with room for 2 chaise sun lounges and one chair.

You don't get much sun, and it is not very breezy. We had no issues with soot or ash from the ship... but the air tends to swirl around behind the ship and the cigarette smoke was awful at times.

We had no issues with vibration or ship motion, even in the roughest seas.

The views are great and I saw whales in the wake off the coast of North Carolina!

Looks like a pretty good location to me. 9736 is an angled balcony, so that will give you a little more space.

You can see your balcony in this image:

Norwegian Breakaway in Rotterdam

Just count up two decks from the promenade, and look for the angled balcony at the beginning of the bump-out.

We were in 11734, two decks above your cabin, and found it to be a good location. Enjoy your cruise!

Wow thanks for the info and pictures. That makes me feel much better! I was hoping the angle would give us some more space. Did you find that location was a far walk from things that you wanted to get to? Not that it really matters but just wondering as I hear a lot of people complain about that. We don't mind walking though. And I saw the pictures you posted were from Rotterdam. Are they yours? If so we live in Scotia[emoji4]

Ahh, no, the pictures aren't mine...I just had that one bookmarked because I used it to find our balcony in 2013 when we sailed on the Breakaway. :)

We were very happy with the location of our cabin. Because it's a bit forward, you can feel a little more motion, but on a big ship like the Breakaway, it's less of a concern. We only really noticed on Saturday, on the way back to NYC, when we encountered seas that were a little rougher than usual. It didn't cause us any difficulty, though.

I always figure that most of the suites are in front, so being forward can't be all that bad. :)

I didn't find it to be a long walk to the elevators or stairs at all. 9736 is only six staterooms down from the "midship" balconies. Plus, if you walk to the closest stairs, and walk down one floor, you arrive at the Waterfront. It's a pretty good location, if you ask me, probably better than ours, due to being on the lower deck (less movement and closer to the restaurants and Waterfront).

We always book an aft-facing balcony when we can, so obviously, we love it. (the only exception in recent years was a last-minute, too-good-to-pass-up cruise to Canada from Boston - it was just as well, we couldn't really use even our regular balcony due to a tropical storm)

We've never been bothered by soot, heat, vibrations, or any of the negatives some have mentioned. Either we've been very lucky, or don't notice those things (we're easy-going, but I don't think we're completely oblivious:cool:). The only time the location bothered us was when we inadvertently selected the deck immediately below the speakers of a nightclub. BOOMaBOOMaBOOMa late into the night :eek:. But, that was our own fault and would have been just as disruptive anywhere on the ship.

Thank you so much for responding! This is very helpful information and put my mind at ease, as this is my first time cruising [emoji4]

You're going to have a wonderful time. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful, and the Breakaway is a great ship.

We can't wait to do it again in August!

Looks like a pretty good location to me. 9736 is an angled balcony, so that will give you a little more space.

You can see your balcony in this image:

Norwegian Breakaway in Rotterdam

Just count up two decks from the promenade, and look for the angled balcony at the beginning of the bump-out.

We were in 11734, two decks above your cabin, and found it to be a good location. Enjoy your cruise!

Is 9736 considered obstructed view?

Is 9736 considered obstructed view?

There are no obstructions to the view for 9736. If you're referring to you seeing the deck if you look directly down, that's not typically considered an obstruction -- you usually look outwards, not downwards.

"Obstructed" is when something blocks your view looking out -- i.e. a lifeboat. There are no such obstructed view cabins on the Breakaway.

There are no obstructions to the view for 9736. If you're referring to you seeing the deck if you look directly down, that's not typically considered an obstruction -- you usually look outwards, not downwards.

"Obstructed" is when something blocks your view looking out -- i.e. a lifeboat. There are no such obstructed view cabins on the Breakaway.

Some brands would consider this obstructed.

• 3 months later...

Love having an act balcony... We had one on the Getaway! We probably won't do them again on cruises 7 days or shorter, but if you spend a lot of time on your balcony, for sure worth it. A con, I guess I would say, that on port days it's very hot as there's no air moving and no shade on some decks. And sometimes it can get a little sooty, but it was never so bad a little towel action couldn't fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
:D Have a Aft Balcony on Deck 12 booked for my Med cruise on Epic, can't wait...

I look forward to some spectacular views...

Did you sail yet? We sail in July and have a Deck 11 corner aft booked. How was the soot, vibration, motion, and noise level?

Did there seem to be air movement? I am thinks of being a fan just for the balcony?

We were in aft-facing on Epic (deck 11) and never saw the soot that others talk about. You are going to LOVE your balcony! We had lounge chairs and a table, and spent so much time out there! I particularly enjoy the construction of Epic in terms of the straight up and down aft of the ship, as it felt more private than others.

I have heard the Epic is stacked aft...meaning straight up and down...I think the soot is more of a problem with the slanted afts with no cover overhang. If this makes any sense?

Did you sail yet? We sail in July and have a Deck 11 corner aft booked. How was the soot, vibration, motion, and noise level?

Did there seem to be air movement? I am thinks of being a fan just for the balcony?

This thread is over a year old, I'm pretty sure that they sailed.,but some good info on the aft's .I'm doing my 1st aft next week on the BA . Hope you have a wonderful time in your corner aft, that is some prime real estate