Teen with Parent ok in Fitness Room?

My family is sailing April 4 on Oasis.

Wondering about the fitness room. I have read some OLD posts that said RC was strict about "no one under 16 admitted", while more recent ones (but still a bit aged) say "under 16 allowed with parent". Can't find anything recent (last year or two).

My 14 year-old and I love to exercise together. Is RC likely to deny us?

I tried to search their website for some sort of policy, but can't find anything.

I found the answer in Royal's guest conduct policy. The minimum age for the fitness center is 16, with the following exceptions for 13 - 15 year olds:

- Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the FitnessCenter during certain times of the day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is present in the fitness center.

- See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific FitnessCenter age restrictions on your cruise vacation.

Edited by HiCSailor

On Indy my daughter and I were using the treadmills (she's a XC runner) and an attendant politely informed me that no kids under 16 were permitted, even if using equipment properly and supervised by an adult. So, out she went.

Probably if your kid looks older you won't have a problem!

Of course, I'm sure they'll find some loophole to make it difficult or impossible, but this at least gives me hope.

Why do you say that? Don't go looking for trouble. It will be fine. :)

Why? Here’s why:

On Indy my daughter and I were using the treadmills (she's a XC runner) and an attendant politely informed me that no kids under 16 were permitted, even if using equipment properly and supervised by an adult. So, out she went.

Lot's of reports that say that same thing.

My limited experience with RC – combined with what I’ve read here – suggests that it’s unpredictable how the staff will react, and it’s 50/50 whether they’ll be reasonable. So I guess if others have had success in getting their kids into the gym… please chime in! How’d you do it?

I’m going to run with “Hope for the best, plan for the worst.”

I’m picturing this exact thing happening to us… denied. And so then I’m going to politely show the policy to the attendant. And the attendant is going to fail to understand... or be "Very sorry, but there is nothing I can do". And I’m going to politely ask if I can chat with the manager, in an effort to get it cleared up. And the manager is not going to be available, so I’m going to spend a day or two trying to chase him/her down. Potentially a whole lot of unnecessary grief. :(

And, even if we can successfully exercise the first day, I can picture a scenario on the second day when a different attendant is working.

What worries me is all of the disclaimers they have in their policy: “Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted”, with an emphasis on “may”. And “during certain times of the day”. Sounds like each ship – and maybe each individual exercise room manager – can decide. "Yes, your teenager can exercise between 6:00PM and 6:30PM. Sorry if that conflicts with your meal time."

Honestly this is a bad policy by RC. We live in a society where children do NOT exercise enough. We have an obesity problem in this country. Discouraging our children from exercise is completely wrong. I agree that a 13 year old should be supervised at all times by a parent, and a waiver should be signed, but denying the use of exercise equipment is just plain wrong.

A supervised child should be encouraged to exercise and shown how to use the equipment properly. A child that is behaving improperly, and their parent, can be asked to leave. But denying use outright is a mistake IMO.

They may have the policy worded the way it is so that they have the discretion to kick out a young teen who is being an idiot or just doesn't know how to use the equipment properly. Since your kid works out with you all the time, and will look it while using the equipment, hopefully there won't be a problem.

We were on Navigator with our then 14-year old who was getting ready for field hockey season, so during the spa and fitness tour we asked about the policy. I was given a waiver to sign and she was given a bracelet to wear whenever she was in the gym (had to be with a parent as well.) There were quite a few teens there doing the same thing - no issues.

To hear about the lack of consistency is frustrating as we are about to get on Liberty and she's not quite 16 so it will be irritating if this staff decides that "may be" means "no" this time. We will roll with the punches but it isn't very customer-focused to keep your customers guessing.

The policy has some built in leeway, which could be interpreted as inconsistency. It says that the younger teens may be allowed at certain times of day. In practice, based on my experience, you are likely to be fine, provided it's not a busy time for the fitness center and you are accompanying your child.

We didn't have any problem with our son, who was 15 at the time of our last cruise, when he was with us in the fitness center. He went once by himself, though, and was told that he could not stay.

We were on Navigator with our then 14-year old who was getting ready for field hockey season, so during the spa and fitness tour we asked about the policy. I was given a waiver to sign and she was given a bracelet to wear whenever she was in the gym (had to be with a parent as well.) There were quite a few teens there doing the same thing - no issues.

. . . .

I think this is one of the clues to greater likelihood of success -- be up front, go to them first and don't just appear and wait to get challenged.

Personally, I support teens using the facilities, but only with parental supervision. I have seen too many teens at my local gym on school holidays who obviously don't belong.

I am not concerned that restricting teen use of the fitness center will be a contributor to childhood obesity -- first it's a week, maybe two obesity doesn't happen in that time frame. Second, as someone else mentioned above, there are plenty of other opportunities for physical exertion -- the track, sports court, walking around, taking the stairs, and perhaps most effective weight control exercise of all -- push aways -- firmly grasp the edge of the dinner table and push yourself away.

Edited by mjldvlks