Communication on board RCCL Brilliance?

loopner

I'll be traveling later this year on Royal Caribbean's Brilliance. My son will be 17 but he is special needs (high functioning autism)

We live in a very rural place, so he really hasn't had the opportunity to travel on his own. I view the ship as a small city. I don't know that I would have him walking around a small city without a way to communicate with him should he need it.

Since using a cell phone at sea is cost prohibitive, what are my options? I've heard of folks using walkie-talkies, but also lots pf problems using them.

I really want to give him space, but I also need some peace of mind. I'd love to hear any thoughts on what you have done.

Ok..Brilliance LOOKS large (and she is), but the PUBLIC areas really are not that expansive!

You make plans for the day....tell your son where you'll be,,and it's not hard at all for you to find each other. And, have him give you HIS plans....

I would have my kids come and physically make contact with me before they go off on some other "adventure". I have no problem with older kids on their own, but where they go and what they do must have a reason. Wandering is NOT a good thing.

About 85% of the ship consists of cabin hallways....you need not be concerned with anything but YOUR hallway, so that takes a lot of the ship off the table!!!

Can he text? While using a cell phone can be expensive, texting is relatively cheap especially since you will only be using it occasionally.

Yes. He can usually get across what he's trying to say. I didn't think about text. I'll have to look into the cost involved. Thanks for the idea.

As you mentioned, walkie talkies are problematic. They don't work everywhere on the ship, so if you're looking for a reliable system, that's not it. Plus many find it annoying to listen to those beeps.

On our last cruise, we utilize paper and pen pretty well for the three of us. We would write down our intended destination of the pad we kept on the desk. Sometimes my hubby will take a page and tape it to the door, "going to the gym" or "going to Skywalkers," and my teen would sometimes add to it with her destination. I don't know what size that ship is, but we were on the Golden Princess, which was several football fields in length, I would imagine. But I would often run into my girl, while not looking for her.

Would your son check in with you if you give him times? Would there be places on the ship that he would frequent -- if he's into movies, sports, etc., it would make it easier to keep tabs on him.

Some ships have courtesy phones in the public areas. If there are, you can ask him to leave messages on the cabin phone from time to time.

Would your son check in with you if you give him times? Would there be places on the ship that he would frequent -- if he's into movies' date=' sports, etc., it would make it easier to keep tabs on him.

Some ships have courtesy phones in the public areas. If there are, you can ask him to leave messages on the cabin phone from time to time.[/quote']

He would leave messages. Only problem is we're in separate rooms. We're going to be looking into getting access to each others rooms. Don't know if its possible, but can't hurt to ask. The alterate would be a write board on the door or post its on the door.

He would leave messages. Only problem is we're in separate rooms. We're going to be looking into getting access to each others rooms. Don't know if its possible, but can't hurt to ask. The alterate would be a write board on the door or post its on the door.

No problem with access. Just go to Guest Services and ask for additional room keys. Give him one to your room, and you have one for his room.

Just make sure your TA (or if you booked through the cruiseline, the booking department) marks your booking to keep your cabins together (across from each other or next to each other). Really emphasis this as some cruise lines will assume you want an upgrade (what the cruise line considers one, which isn't always to a location or type of cabin wanted), and might move you of your cabins elsewhere.

Just make sure your TA (or if you booked through the cruiseline' date=' the booking department) marks your booking to keep your cabins together (across from each other or next to each other). Really emphasis this as some cruise lines will assume you want an upgrade (what the cruise line considers one, which isn't always to a location or type of cabin wanted), and might move you of your cabins elsewhere.[/quote']

We're a few doors apart. Mom needed a H/C room. She got the last one avaialble. So we just chose the closest room. If we got upgraded, we'd have a discussion on the location of rooms and if she minded since my son is staying in her room. (isn't she wonderful!!) I don't think it will make much difference. But I doubt we'll get upgraded.