Britannia for first time cruise?

Big Stevie

Would the Britannia be suitable for our first ever cruise?

Im looking at booking our first ever cruise for my wife, 8yr old son and myself to the Mediterranean, taking in Monaco and Rome. We think we want one of the bigger modern ships (not in need of a refit).

Im concerned that seeing as its our first cruise we dont actually know what we want from our ship. Maybe second time around we will understand what features we like/dont like.

But Britannia seems expensive compared to Azure/Ventura, perhaps because its a brand new ship? Would we be better doing our first cruise on one of the other two slightly lower priced ships, seeing as we dont actually know what we want from the ship?

Ive read that Britannia doesn't have as many sun loungers on the deck. If we had to get up at 6am to grab a sun lounger then this would ruin our holiday.

Im looking at booking our first ever cruise for my wife, 8yr old son and myself to the Mediterranean, taking in Monaco and Rome. We think we want one of the bigger modern ships (not in need of a refit).

Im concerned that seeing as its our first cruise we dont actually know what we want from our ship. Maybe second time around we will understand what features we like/dont like.

But Britannia seems expensive compared to Azure/Ventura, perhaps because its a brand new ship? Would we be better doing our first cruise on one of the other two slightly lower priced ships, seeing as we dont actually know what we want from the ship?

Ive read that Britannia doesn't have as many sun loungers on the deck. If we had to get up at 6am to grab a sun lounger then this would ruin our holiday.

The issue about sun loungers is a rumour which was put forward a few days ago. It was said that there were only 1000. There are 1500, which is about the same as Azura and Ventura and more than double Aurora. All the ships seem to have about the same round about one for every 2 passengers with Aurora and Oceana a little less.

Edited by daiB

Azura or Ventura would be a better bet in my opinion for your first cruise. Because Britannia is so big I think you might find it a hit overwhelming.

As far as grabbing a sun longer at 6am is concerned it is not yours for the day unless you stay on it all day! Please don't become one of those passengers! If only people would be more reasonable there would actually be enough for all most of the time.

As far as grabbing a sun longer at 6am is concerned it is not yours for the day unless you stay on it all day! Please don't become one of those passengers! If only people would be more reasonable there would actually be enough for all most of the time.

Ha Ha brilliant. Most everyone is "one of those passengers". On one cruise we noticed one couple with "reserved" loungers on both sides of the ship so they got sun all day.

The result is that, usually before breakfast all the loungers are covered with towels, books, hats etc and any passengers wandering the decks looking for one are treated with the eye if they even dare to ask if a chair is free.

So passengers soon learn to join them if they can't beat them.

David.

It is partly P&Os fault. I am just off Ventura and an announcement told people not to reserve sun beds but also said they could not police it. I have seen sun deck attendants on Princess putting tickets on reserved beds then removing items 30 minutes later. P&O should do this also. We had four reserved beds beside us lie empty for an hour and a half one morning. That was not anyone having breakfast. They must have gone back to bed.:eek:

I think the idea of doing the first cruise on either Azura or Ventura is a good one - they're both excellent ships and they are, as you've found, likely to be slightly cheaper than Britannia. Especially in Britannia's first year....

I don't know how much digging you've done, but here's a review of a cruise we did on Ventura a couple of years ago (with links to detail pages). To be fair, we don't have children so our impression won't quite match your requirements, but I can report that everything I've heard about the kid's clubs on Ventura has been excellent.

I have to agree - go for one of the smaller ships first. Believe me that after Aurora and Oriana, Ventura and Azura seem huge and you won't have anything to compare it with. On the other hand if you want a brand new shiny ship then yes, it will cost a little more - at least in the first season. To be honest, after sailing on Royal Princess (very similar to Britannia) I was somewhat underwhelmed by the amount of outside deck space available.

I don't know how much digging you've done, but here's a review of a cruise we did on Ventura a couple of years ago (with links to detail pages).

Tom, I'm part way through reading your blog and thought id pop back here to say how enjoyable it is to read, and its particularly relevant to us seeing as we are wanting to do a similar cruise. Anyway, back to your blog....:)

Azura or Ventura would be a better bet in my opinion for your first cruise. Because Britannia is so big I think you might find it a hit overwhelming.

Our first cruise was on Voyager of the Seas (which was huge).

We didn`t find it overwelming, it was more like a big adventure and we loved it. I say go for Britannia. The chances are you will have an amazing time.

PJ

I don't think that you will go too far wrong with Ventura. We did our first ever cruise on Ventura with our nine year old and all three of us enjoyed it so much we have become addicts to this kind of vacation. I really hope that you have a great a time as we did.

Thank you. Booking for the first time was pretty stressful with all the different options to choose from, and with no idea of what we really want as we've not done it before.

If we go again next year then at least we will have learnt from any mistakes, and will know what we want from the holiday.

Edited by Big Stevie

I think the idea of doing the first cruise on either Azura or Ventura is a good one - they're both excellent ships and they are, as you've found, likely to be slightly cheaper than Britannia. Especially in Britannia's first year....

I don't know how much digging you've done, but here's a review of a cruise we did on Ventura a couple of years ago (with links to detail pages). To be fair, we don't have children so our impression won't quite match your requirements, but I can report that everything I've heard about the kid's clubs on Ventura has been excellent.

I think that's probably the reason Britannia is more expensive. Been on Ventura twice and hardly ever seen a child, they seem to pop up at feeding times only. Whatever they are doing it works.

Our first cruise was a cheap 4 dayer to Bruges/Guernsey. Enough to see what it was like (fairly representative), not so short that it is a booze cruise.