Carnival Conquest or Royal Independence of the Seas

circlexyy

This is my first post ever here. I've done a lot of research already and I know there were similar posts before on the forum, but I am still debating now. I'm planning our first-time cruise for me and my wife (we are at age 28) without kids. I've already booked an overnight flight to FLL on May 10th, 2015 for 10 days and is debating on two cruise options, both are Caribbean-Eastern, inside cabins, departing on May 10th from Fort Lauderdale with similar itinerary:

1. Carnival Conquest, 8 day, $69 per day, $1330 in total

2. Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (IOS), 7 day, $91 per day, $1450 in total

Below are the major pros and cons that I have learned for these two lines:

Pros of Carnival Conquest:

1. Cheaper and has one more day than IOS (though IOS is only about $120 more expensive than Carnival in total and we are happy to pay for this extra money)

2. Carnival seems to have a better itinerary: one more island stop at Grand Turk; San Juan, PR stop at 7am-2pm for Carnival conquest, whereas 4pm-11pm for IOS.

3. More younger people onboard.

Pros of Royal IOS:

1. More luxurious and many people have said "you get what you pay for"

2. less crowded and have fewer drunk people onboard than Carnival Conquest

3. Have more activities onboard

My wife and I are still graduate students at school and we would like to keep a tight budget (also try to spend less onboard and also on islands). However, this will be our first cruise and we do not want to take a risk to be on a cruise, hate it, and do not want to cruise any more. Therefore, we are also happy to pay for anything extra that is worth it. Could you please give me some recommendations as which one we should give a shot for the first time?

I have been waiting for a price drop until the final payment due date (should be around 2/24/15). My current preference is to wait for the price change. If one cruise line has a major price drop and I will probably go for that cruise line. If one cruise line has a major price lift and I will probably go for the other cruise line. However, if most people here recommend Royal's IOS because of its quality, or Carnival conquest because of its price and better itinerary, I then will change my mind and settle down the booking ASAP.

Please also let me know if my current booking strategy is too risky. I found both ships still have a lot of inside cabins available and thought there may be a price drop after final payment due date.

Another question I have is, is there a major price difference on the Shore excursions offered on these two ships?

Thanks in advance!

We did FOS last year and we are doing IOS this year. I've never been on Carnival but only because I've never heard great things. We loved our cruise last year so much that we booked the day we got back. I also think cruising is what you make it. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want - and have a great time either way. We don't book out excursions through the cruise line, we find independent ones on our own. Have you tried reading reviews on CC and looking at pictures?

Been on both lines, although we were on Carnival many years ago and on older ships, so I'm sure the newer ships are nicer than what we were on.

For us though, Carnival was missing something but we didn't know what. So we tried Royal - never went back. Actually, going on the Independence for our 3rd time in about 1 1/2 weeks.

What you show as pros for both lines is pretty much on point from what I can remember, although Royal doesn't have as old of a crowd as you might think. Still quite a few party goers on board (might even show you younguns up).

I remember reading somewhere (either Frommers or Fodors or some other "F" book) that compared the 2 lines. It said that Carnival was more beer and pretzels while Royal was a bit more wine and cheese (their words, not mine).

As for the ships, my personal opinion, for a mass market line, I don't think you can beat Royal. Carnival is too "Las Vegas" for me, busy & bright. Royal is a bit more subdued (think brass and glass). Also, the staff and crew on Royal seem to always have a smile on their face and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise whichever ship you take. Just remember that you will most likely suffer from PCD (Post Cruise Depression) after your cruise and will most likely begin planning another.

We have been on 6 Royal cruises and one Carnival with another in about 10 days. Carnival was fine, our cabin was very clean but certainly the crew were not as friendly as Royal. We are only going Carnival as it is a last minute really good airline employee deal and I need a break from our rainy winter.

We went on Carnival for a last minute Alaska cruise last July then a Med on Adventure in Sept. The folks on Royal were much livelier than Carnival, we did cruise from the UK! I think it depends on the itinerary as to the demographics. As MangoMike ("F"book said) beer/pretzels vs wine/cheese. That being said you'll have fun on either, but if you were my son I'd say try Royal first. Which I did tell him and he tried Oasis, we'll see how he likes Carnival next week.

Have a great cruise which ever you choose.

Edited by krev

Been on both lines, although we were on Carnival many years ago and on older ships, so I'm sure the newer ships are nicer than what we were on.

For us though, Carnival was missing something but we didn't know what. So we tried Royal - never went back. Actually, going on the Independence for our 3rd time in about 1 1/2 weeks.

What you show as pros for both lines is pretty much on point from what I can remember, although Royal doesn't have as old of a crowd as you might think. Still quite a few party goers on board (might even show you younguns up).

I remember reading somewhere (either Frommers or Fodors or some other "F" book) that compared the 2 lines. It said that Carnival was more beer and pretzels while Royal was a bit more wine and cheese (their words, not mine).

As for the ships, my personal opinion, for a mass market line, I don't think you can beat Royal. Carnival is too "Las Vegas" for me, busy & bright. Royal is a bit more subdued (think brass and glass). Also, the staff and crew on Royal seem to always have a smile on their face and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise whichever ship you take. Just remember that you will most likely suffer from PCD (Post Cruise Depression) after your cruise and will most likely begin planning another.

I think you summed it up perfectly in this line.

I personally think Royal does a great job of mixing luxury and fun. Crew is great, and there are enough extra touches to make you feel special. IMO, you can't go wrong with Royal.

We haven't cruised on Carnival, but our cruise on Indy on Dec 2013 was the best cruise we have ever had. From the time we checked in until disembarkation...loved Indy. We are booked on Oasis for Dec 2015... Adult kids wanted to do Oasis. My DH and I would prefer Indy or any Freedom class. We took a taxi from our hotel to port for $14 plus tip and we were in line around 10:00. On board quickly, got awesome seats in windjammer, and we were in our cabins by 1:00. By taking a taxi, we did have to deal with all our luggage but we also were unpacked before anyone received their luggage. I vote Indy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...I found both ships still have a lot of inside cabins available and thought there may be a price drop after final payment due date.

Another question I have is, is there a major price difference on the Shore excursions offered on these two ships?

RCI will reprice upon request if price drops before Final Payment Date, but does not refund money on price drops after Final (you may use the amount you have paid toward an upgrade). I don't know Carnival's price drop policy - it may be more liberal than RCI.

Sometimes (not always) there are MAJOR savings in DIY tours. In September we rented a car in Iceland for four people and for US$100 including gas ($25pp) did a tour that the ship offered for $169 per person - and no waiting for 50 people to use the toilet.

enjoy

Thom

Thanks for your reply. I've read reviews for both ships, but most of them are recently posted reviews on cruisecritic. I've also looked at some youtube videos. As you suggested, I just google imaged both ships and do still think IOS seems to be more luxurious and have more interesting activities onboard compared to carnival conquest.

Have you tried reading reviews on CC and looking at pictures?

Thanks for your reply. I've read reviews for both ships, but most of them are recently posted reviews on cruisecritic. I've also looked at some youtube videos. As you suggested, I just google imaged both ships and do still think IOS seems to be more luxurious and have more interesting activities onboard compared to carnival conquest.

It's a royal board so let's not beat around the bush, people here generally won't say carnival is better. It's quite clear Carnival has a product that is meant to attract a younger crowd. You are saying you don't see more interesting activities on RCL, so sounds like you know which way you are leaning, don't fight it.

Frankly, I say go with Carnival, has better ports and 8 days. Number one complaint about cruises, they end to quickly, so take the extra day. You will love it and want to do another cruise, then give RCI a go and do your own compare.

But if you are looking at video and don't think you see a difference. Look at the videos of the elevators ;). Carnival looks like Holiday Inn circa 1985. RCI looks like Embassy Suites circa 2000. Holiday inn is no drunk dive and Embassy Suites is no Luxury hotel, but if you've been to both there are differences.

Enjoy your cruise!

One other thing to consider.

If you plan on cruising more in the future, compare the "perks" both lines have to offer for repeat guests. Not sure of Carnivals program, but Royals is called "The Crown and Anchor Society" and it does offer some nice extras the more you cruise. You can join immediately after you first cruise.

One more thing - I'm not sure, but I don't think Carnival has a "private" island like Labadee or Coco Cay. These are a couple ports of call that Royal offers that make for a great "beach only" day.

Edited by Mango Mike

I've never sailed Carnival but have a few friends and family that have sailed both lines. One point that they have brought up numerous times, and hasn't really been mentioned here, is the food. I've always heard that the food on Carnival is just simply "meh", and they (and I) have always found the food on Royal to be terrific.

If you're going to spend that long aboard a ship, you'll want to have a good variety of high quality eats! That being said, I'm definitely biased because I think Royal is the cat's pajamas.

Edited by DanScrim
clarity