How stable is quantum class?

Beccafcr

We were on the 2/2 sailing and returned from St.Maarten in 3 days of very rough seas. We did not think the Quantum was stable and it definitely was very creaky. Everyone is different but overall, we did not enjoy the cruise

As I stated, the seas for the first night out were forecast to be 25', that was the marine forecast, I believe they fell short of that, but it was too dark to tell. There was no discernible course change on day one. We were right above you in 12654 and actually thought the ride was great - perhaps because we had been anticipating a rough ride.

As to the creaking, we've also sailed both Equinox and Solstice and saw some similarity, but nothing remarkable, I've worked in skyscrapers that are noisier in heavy weather. We did attend the Captain's Corner discussion and we heard the comment on newer ships settling in etc but were more surprised at the question than the answer. Didn't really encounter any notable squeaks.

Hats off to Captain Gus - not only for his straight talk answers, but because he wisely chose 270 as his Captain's Corner venue - not only is it drop dead gorgeous for our benefit, but it's the only venue on the ship - with its rounded architecture - where he couldn't get backed into a corner. Custer has to be careful when circulating with the Indians.:D

Loved our Quantum cruise - returning in March for more of the same.

I'm not sure if the 25b ft wave forecast was met or not, but on RCL channel 17

he showed the storm area which encompassed the entire East Coast and illustrated on the map the original course and the revised course. The red area further east was the 25+ ft waves and the lighter shade to the left was the lower.

I was at the same session, although a bit late, what do you think of his decision of only announcing the smoke emanating from the incinerators to public areas and not to cabins. Also, was there any mention of Ken Rush (CD) being replaced on subsequent cruise by Katie Turner.

he showed the storm area which encompassed the entire East Coast and illustrated on the map the original course and the revised course. The red area further east was the 25+ ft waves and the lighter shade to the left was the lower.

I was at the same session, although a bit late, what do you think of his decision of only announcing the smoke emanating from the incinerators to public areas and not to cabins. Also, was there any mention of Ken Rush (CD) being replaced on subsequent cruise by Katie Turner.

I think it should have been a ship wide announcement, I was in the SeaPlex at the time and there were a few who seemed worried!

And Ken was replaced by Katie? GOOD. I saw Ken with a tonne of bags on Debarkation day but didn't realise he was leaving the ship

I think it should have been a ship wide announcement, I was in the SeaPlex at the time and there were a few who seemed worried!

And Ken was replaced by Katie? GOOD. I saw Ken with a tonne of bags on Debarkation day but didn't realise he was leaving the ship

I wonder if he's joining Captain Gus on the Anthem.

Currently on Quantum as mentioned in prior post. Ken is currently the CD aboard. and Katie is the activities Mgr.

It's been fairly rocky last night into this am....but glad to report haven't noticed any of the creeking in the cabin that I have experienced on Soltice class ships.

Currently on Quantum as mentioned in prior post. Ken is currently the CD aboard. and Katie is the activities Mgr.

It's been fairly rocky last night into this am....but glad to report haven't noticed any of the creeking in the cabin that I have experienced on Soltice class ships.

Thanks for the clarification.

Nelblu, my comments on sea conditions stated it was the first night out, that would be February 2nd, and were based on the prog charts and forecasts in oceanweather.com - Captain Gus made his excellent presentation on February 10th on CH 17 regarding a weather system that was only beginning to gather when we left NJ.

My comments were prompted by earlier posts stating that Quantum was unstable or even poorly engineered - when nothing could be farther from the facts. Cruisers holding Quantum bookings, or booking Anthem, could be needlessly discouraged by misleading reports. (Note batoryfirst rethinking their cabins for the Anthem TA as a result) This ship takes the seas extremely well - and the crew chose to improve further on that capability as much as possible on our return, contradicting the "nickle-and-diming" they are routinely flogged for on these pages.

As to the smoke announcement - we were passing through the cabin and I switched on the TV while my wife changed -the audio was automatically muted and replaced with the smoke announcement, so I can only speculate on missing anything if the TV were off. If the time came to man the lifeboats I's sure we would have gotten the message, but unless there was a possibility that a passenger was aware of some smoke I wondered why they even bothered with the announcement. I recall the first fire alarm I experienced at sea - "Fire in the forward ammunition locker" It proved a false alarm, as most do, but it captured my imagination and I was immediately grateful that my GQ station was in after steering.

Postings in other threads were critical because Captain Gus made the initial announcement but the all clear was delegated to Ken Rush. So? It could easily be imagined that the Captain was on site, personally verifying the condition of the ship, and informing everyone ASAP via Ken - commanding the ship as they say. If the Captain was unflinching in delivering potential bad news - why suspect he would dodge the good news , if not for expedience? That should be to his credit - but even partial credit is hard to come by on this forum for all things Quantum. Puzzling.

I heard no mention of Ken being replaced by Katie. I did buttonhole Ken after the session to ask what might be planned for our then-scheduled overnight in Haiti. He had some tentative thoughts but was doubtful the overnight would remain on the itinerary as infrastructure additions weren't ready yet. No indication that he wouldn't be there to worry about it. (The Labadee overnight has since been officially cancelled.)

Rough seas are rough seas - but all ships are definitely not created equally for negotiating them. If anyone is booking either Quantum or Anthem rest assured that your passage will be as smooth as possible - by design of the ship - and the crew. If you can think beyond the MDR you'll love the Quantum experience.

Nelblu, my comments on sea conditions stated it was the first night out, that would be February 2nd, and were based on the prog charts and forecasts in oceanweather.com - Captain Gus made his excellent presentation on February 10th on CH 17 regarding a weather system that was only beginning to gather when we left NJ.

My comments were prompted by earlier posts stating that Quantum was unstable or even poorly engineered - when nothing could be farther from the facts. Cruisers holding Quantum bookings, or booking Anthem, could be needlessly discouraged by misleading reports. (Note batoryfirst rethinking their cabins for the Anthem TA as a result) This ship takes the seas extremely well - and the crew chose to improve further on that capability as much as possible on our return, contradicting the "nickle-and-diming" they are routinely flogged for on these pages.

As to the smoke announcement - we were passing through the cabin and I switched on the TV while my wife changed -the audio was automatically muted and replaced with the smoke announcement, so I can only speculate on missing anything if the TV were off. If the time came to man the lifeboats I's sure we would have gotten the message, but unless there was a possibility that a passenger was aware of some smoke I wondered why they even bothered with the announcement. I recall the first fire alarm I experienced at sea - "Fire in the forward ammunition locker" It proved a false alarm, as most do, but it captured my imagination and I was immediately grateful that my GQ station was in after steering.

Postings in other threads were critical because Captain Gus made the initial announcement but the all clear was delegated to Ken Rush. So? It could easily be imagined that the Captain was on site, personally verifying the condition of the ship, and informing everyone ASAP via Ken - commanding the ship as they say. If the Captain was unflinching in delivering potential bad news - why suspect he would dodge the good news , if not for expedience? That should be to his credit - but even partial credit is hard to come by on this forum for all things Quantum. Puzzling.

I heard no mention of Ken being replaced by Katie. I did buttonhole Ken after the session to ask what might be planned for our then-scheduled overnight in Haiti. He had some tentative thoughts but was doubtful the overnight would remain on the itinerary as infrastructure additions weren't ready yet. No indication that he wouldn't be there to worry about it. (The Labadee overnight has since been officially cancelled.)

Rough seas are rough seas - but all ships are definitely not created equally for negotiating them. If anyone is booking either Quantum or Anthem rest assured that your passage will be as smooth as possible - by design of the ship - and the crew. If you can think beyond the MDR you'll love the Quantum experience.

Got a clarification that Katie replaced Ken for a week, as he's on the Quantum now per Bajathree 's post.

• 2 years later...
As I stated, the seas for the first night out were forecast to be 25', that was the marine forecast, I believe they fell short of that, but it was too dark to tell. There was no discernible course change on day one. We were right above you in 12654 and actually thought the ride was great - perhaps because we had been anticipating a rough ride.

As to the creaking, we've also sailed both Equinox and Solstice and saw some similarity, but nothing remarkable, I've worked in skyscrapers that are noisier in heavy weather. We did attend the Captain's Corner discussion and we heard the comment on newer ships settling in etc but were more surprised at the question than the answer. Didn't really encounter any notable squeaks.

Hats off to Captain Gus - not only for his straight talk answers, but because he wisely chose 270 as his Captain's Corner venue - not only is it drop dead gorgeous for our benefit, but it's the only venue on the ship - with its rounded architecture - where he couldn't get backed into a corner. Custer has to be careful when circulating with the Indians.:D

Loved our Quantum cruise - returning in March for more of the same.

was 12654 bed by the balcony?