Which Ship!?

We are looking to book a cruise from San Juan the last weekend in November (after Thanksgiving) and can't decide between Carnival Liberty or RCL's Jewel of the Seas. We've been on Carnival twice before, once on the Liberty, and have never been on RCL so wouldn't know what to expect! Both itineraries are similar enough that those don't matter, so it's pretty much Ship/Cruise Line Specific. Is there anyone who has been on both, or can just shine light on what makes Royal better then Carnival or vice versa!? Thanks so much in advance!

**This was cross posted in the Carnival Thread as well! ;)

We've never been on Jewel, but we've done that itinerary before and we've been on sister ships (Radiance and Brilliance) and they are wonderful. You go to some fun islands, you can spend a couple of early days in San Juan if you have time, and the ship is a nice change from some of the larger ships. It has a lot of glass and a really interesting decor.

You say that you've never tried RCI before. It may be fun just to experience something different. And, for a port intensive itinerary the ship isn't quite as important since you'll be off it a lot.

I don't know that I'd say RCI is better than Carnival. They both excel at different things and sometimes they both excel at the same things. They are different (different games, food, decor, programs, etc.) so sometimes trying something new is fun in its own right. Personally, we really like RCI over Carnival, but we've never been on a really bad cruise.

I don't think you can go wrong.

Some things to check:

Price. Most of the time Carnival is less and sometimes RCI is less. Sometimes there are specials where you get free drink packages or discounts that you might find interesting.

Duration. Sometimes Carnival cruises are 8 days where RCI is on the Jewel is likely 7.

Islands. Sometimes Carnival goes to different islands. If you've never been to any of them maybe that doesn't make a difference, but we like going to a few familiar places and some new places and sometimes doing the odd cruise on another line gives you the chance to see some different place.

Tom

With both Itineraries we are getting all new islands, so either one is a win for us! Price's are actually quite comparable (difference of $100 to $200 total), so either way we would be comfortable and happy. I'm big on atmosphere so without knowing how RCL's is, I'm kinda stuck. Love the Liberty but if we have the ability (itinerary and price) to try RCL, I'm wondering if we should. Thanks!