Insurance now included on NCL invoices - is this right?

mimi05052012

Invoices for my upcoming NCL cruises all contain price for insurance even though I told PCC that I did not want (purchase it separately). He said they now have to send out two invoices. One with insurance and one without. And you just pay whichever amount is correct depending on your decision on their insurance. Has anyone else heard the same? Doesn't sound right to me!

To make matters more complicated, there were a number of issues with the invoices so I've gotten multiple copies of each. I think I've finally gotten ones with the right price and right amenities, but they include insurance.

I noticed the same thing too. My mother and I booked two separate suites. Her invoice included the insurance, but mine did not. We ended up rebooking under one suite and there is no insurance on the invoice. We also received a separate invoice that listed the amenities for each passenger. I would definitely call NCL again and have the insurance removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruzncutie

Invoices for my upcoming NCL cruises all contain price for insurance even though I told PCC that I did not want (purchase it separately). He said they now have to send out two invoices. One with insurance and one without. And you just pay whichever amount is correct depending on your decision on their insurance. Has anyone else heard the same? Doesn't sound right to me!

To make matters more complicated, there were a number of issues with the invoices so I've gotten multiple copies of each. I think I've finally gotten ones with the right price and right amenities, but they include insurance.

My PCC added the insurance to our invoice when I booked our cruise on the Gem eons ago. I called him and told him to remove it. He did. I booked directly online for our cruise on the Breakaway. No insurance was added.

Call and have it removed.

Saying you can pay whichever one you want is total BS. Unless the 2nd one is the one without it.

I am the last person to suggest moving it up to a supervisor, but this is one case where I would. The PCC is playing games.

You either get insurance from them, or you do not.

I saw that my invoice includes insurance for the trip I booked a week ago. I was taken aback, because it is $970....which seems very steep. I have noticed they offer 2 levels of insurance...our PCC obviously put us down for the Cadillac version.

Am I right in assuming that I can just have it removed any time prior to final payment at no cost to me?

Do you mind sharing why you choose to remove the insurance? I always thought a cruise was the one trip to make sure you had it for. Are you getting it elsewhere?

I appreciate the insight.

I get my insurance through www.insuremytrip.com. I can get more robust coverage for far less than that offered by NCL.

Do you mind sharing why you choose to remove the insurance? I always thought a cruise was the one trip to make sure you had it for. Are you getting it elsewhere?

We too have third party insurance (actually it's annual so we are always covered when we travel far enough from home) that covers also all other aspects of the trip besides the cruise. Cruise line's insurance is in most cases covers only the components of the trip that are booked through the cruise line (and possibly med-evac), so it's only good if you also book as much as possible through the cruise line or do not need additional services like flights/hotels/etc on your trip.

We live in the same city as the port so we won't need anything to cover transportation to and from. We booked through a 3rd party TA and went with their policy.

In all of my years of cruising I never really thought much about this, just always added it on, not paying much attention. I should have been doing better research! Thanks for opening my eyes.

Third party insurance will provide more and better coverage than the ship will offer. Like others said, go to insuremytrip dot com and look at your options. One thing: if you have an existing medical problem, be sure to purchase it within the first two weeks after booking the cruise. Look for advice on the insurance board on cruise critic.

Also, you can cancel a cruise that you have already purchased third party insurance for and rebook another cruise and have the policy assigned to the new booking. I did that with a fall transatlantic and transferred it to a spring TA.

We live in the same city as the port so we won't need anything to cover transportation to and from. We booked through a 3rd party TA and went with their policy.

In all of my years of cruising I never really thought much about this, just always added it on, not paying much attention. I should have been doing better research! Thanks for opening my eyes.

There are two primary reasons why I buy trip insurance- medical coverage and medevac coverage. My health plan provides coverage in foreign countries but only if I use an in-network provider. And with medevac's costing upwards of $25k I can't afford to take that chance. That other parts of the trip (delay, lost baggage, cancellation, etc) are covered is icing on the cake for me.

I read in a travel article a long time ago that travel insurance should not cost more than 10% of your trip cost unless you are in a higher risk category for some reason.

A few months ago, in the TA portal, the program was updated to add the insurance automatically. A TA has to now manually uncheck the box to remove it from a booking. Perhaps your PCC was lazy and forgot to uncheck the button but now he has to edit the booking to remove the insurance.

NCL insurance, even the higher one, does not offer enough medical coverage or enough medical evacuation coverage, so third party coverage is preferable since you can get better coverage.

I called back my PCC today and told him I did not want NCL's insurance and I wanted clean invoice with it removed. He said, 'sure, no problem'! I'm not sure why he couldn't do that when I originally booked the cruises. (actually, I think he just forgot to check the box that we declined the insurance). Initially, I was thinking he was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. At least, now I have the correct invoices.

I always use squaremouth's site for our insurance. provides multiple quotes and has a nice comparison feature. It's always a good bit less expensive than NCL insurance for better coverage.

I called back my PCC today and told him I did not want NCL's insurance and I wanted clean invoice with it removed. He said, 'sure, no problem'! I'm not sure why he couldn't do that when I originally booked the cruises. (actually, I think he just forgot to check the box that we declined the insurance). Initially, I was thinking he was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. At least, now I have the correct invoices.

I always use squaremouth's site for our insurance. provides multiple quotes and has a nice comparison feature. It's always a good bit less expensive than NCL insurance for better coverage.

I was told by my pcc that they get a commission if it was added at booking and they would keep that commission even if you choose not to buy at final payment. He asked me to do him a favor by letting him add it because I never buy insurance direct if I buy at all and remove it later.