FYI: Jewel Obstructed view may equal NO view!

tominabox1

This is my view in an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Jewel. I would not consider it "no view and staring at a lifeboat ...

Very similar to the ours on the Jewel (2011) and yours from 2014, close to a year ago or whatever. But, it seemed an entire section of obstructed OV cabins on deck 8 were "frosted" completely, perhaps very recently or right before the OP sailed.

Your pix showed the crew's walkway right outside the obstructed picture window, and it is necessary as they used it to inspect and reach the tender/life boat, painting & washing the exterior, etc. usually docked at the pier or while anchored if tendering, etc. They also launch some of the boats to do crew only training & mandatory safety drills as required, etc.

For those with upcoming Jewel cruise booked into one of the specific cabins - has ANYONE called into NCL for an update or clarify/question the reasons for the "frosting" application - previously, I've seen these cabin prices to be lower than the higher category of INSIDE cabin pricing.

We had booked an obstructed Ocenview with GTY on the GEM, deck 8 in 2012 and got "upgraded" down to deck 4 FWD with a porthole (big & round) window.

This is my view in an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Jewel. I would not consider it "no view and staring at a lifeboat". We thought it was fabulous for saving us $500 off a regular oceanview cabin.

Hi, what cabin # is this please?

This is my view in an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Jewel. I would not consider it "no view and staring at a lifeboat". We thought it was fabulous for saving us $500 off a regular oceanview cabin.

OK I concede. Nice view of San Francisco pier.

I would have been furious. When I book an obstructed view, I expect to be able to at least see outside even if its just a smidgen of a view. Sometimes that's the risk you take when you book oceanview gty or an obstructed view. How could I be mad upon my arrival if its exactly what I paid for AN OBSTRUCTED OCEANVIEW. But for NCL to be selling these cabins as such seems to be very deceitful when you have absolutely no view outside windows bc they're painted over. They should be called insides. If I had found myself in one of these cabins, I would have felt deceived for sure. Thanks to OP for starting thread.

Edited by cruizinrican

But not everyone books as OX. Many of us booked as OK and selected our cabin number and there is NO indication that there will be NO VIEW.

This is very deceiving on NCL's part, especially if they changed the category without notifying the people that were booked in it a certain way.

If you booked a balcony cabin and then boarded the ship and found out that you were not allowed to open the door and access the balcony, you would be very upset. Well, it could be said you have a balcony, no one specifically says you have the right to use the balcony. I know that is a crazy analogy, but it is the way I feel. I booked one thing and am given something else

I responded to the OP, others have posted about speculation and "what if's". If you book an OX guarantee, as the OP did, per NCL you could end up in a room with NO VIEW. If you didn't book an OX and this happens, you have a complaint.

I have seen obstructed view cabins with a picture window or porthole, never with a balcony though. This is the description of a BX on the Pearl along with other ships. I think the POA may have an partially obstructed balcony not sure.

"A Guarantee stateroom (GTY) guarantees a Balcony stateroom or better! Please note that the view from your balcony may be fully obstructed or partially obstructed. Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation."

Scary, I am really worried about this but can't do much as got a great deal. Will have to just be brave, at least some light will be coming in. I was in an inside cabin once and swore never again.

I would not worry too much, wait and see. We are in a similar situation for a cruise package we booked to South America on the Sun. The package includes air fare and a couple of nights in a hotel. NCL chosen hotels are usually very good, not so sure about the air package but we will see. My concern is the GTY balcony. We have sailed on the Sun many times in a balcony cabin but have never seen a obstructed view balcony on her.

This was our obstructed OV cabin #8096, we booked OV-GTY and was assigned by NCL , we had no choice in the selection as it was an "accessible" stateroom and we only slept in this cabin for the first night of our sailing, moved out and up to deck 9 in the afternoon of day #2 (full sea day) at the request of Jewel's Hotel Director ... (for the rest of the story, see the old review as to ;))

Whether the view is still the same as 4 years ago, I do NOT know - it could be frosted completely, it's just for informational reference only - please, no panic & no riot, etc. This is from 2011 - not up-to-date.

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096b.JPG

The "big" lifeboat is outside and the service walkway for crew members outside, we kept our curtains closed - roughly 45 to 60% obstructed and you need to be standing up to really look out to see over the horizon at the far distance. This one showing the Statue of Liberty as we're sailing out of NYC.

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096d.JPG

When in doubt and you are booked at one of these cabins in questions, it's BEST to call NCL directly and ask for clarification about "frosting" - other ships such as STAR or GEM, haven't seen or read any such obstructed views being "frosted" over completely, AFAIK - :confused:

There are 4 of us on the Star in June in obstructed ocean views over the small rescue boats. Sure hope they don't do anything to our windows!

If anyone is on the Star after dry dock, please post if the windows are frosted/opaque!

Thanks!

Here's the information straight from the Jewel's hotel director:

Here there are on the deck plan. Notice that according to this list, 8064 and 8066 are frosted on the starboard side, but the corresponding port side cabins are not.

Jewel_Deck_08_frosted_zpshgqjtr2z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Jewel.. room 8072.. frosted windows. I wasn't happy but I did book an "obstructed view" room so I accepted it.

The issue I had was the life boat would rattle like no other if the wind was blowing on this side or if we got rocked a bit. Sounded like someone scrapping metal chairs on the floor, was so annoying. I am glad I fell asleep quickly on most nights.

The last day at sea, I saw a couple of crew members with drums of grease near where I thought was my room, so perhaps they corrected the issue.

This was the 3/28/15 sailing.