Dining room vs Lido deck food

the nurse

The Lido buffet food is better then the MDR food IMO. It is also more relaxing to go up to the Buffet whenever you are ready and not have to put elegant clothes on.

The main reason that I prefer the Lido is being able to eat casually, so I usually go there on elegant nights. With baggage costs so high now on airlines, it does not make sense to bring a suit and dress shirts.

One thing worth mentioning....the chocolate melting cake is not offered in the Lido buffet. So if that's something you must have, then the MDR is your venue.

I've had the chocolate melting cake for dessert several times at the Lido dinner buffet. Not served every night but it is served there. Maybe it depends on the ship. I've had it on the Pride, Glory and Sensation. I actually liked it better than in MDR as it wasn't quite as "soupy".

Last cruise we ate at the buffet for dinner because one of my sons was having some behavioral issues that evening and we didn't think he would be able to sit through the MDR dinner. It worked out perfect for us.

Since the implementation of the American Table menu on our next cruise and the lack of choices of things we like, we will probably be eating more on the Lido for dinner.

Sometimes the meats can be better on the buffet, prime rib night you can have it sliced to order and the gravy and horseradish are right there, you don't have to wait while your food gets cold while the waiter goes and finds it for you. On the night when they have braised lamb shank in the MDR they have roast leg of lamb on the buffet, and again the mint sauce is right there.

To be honest we don't find the MDR food to be that good, especially the seafood. We live on the coast and find the shrimp on the ship to be totally tasteless, and frequently the fish is just as bad, normally because it's all farm raised and I don't speculate where.

Last few cruises we're down to eating in the MDR only about once or twice a week (we do a lot of longer cruises now that we're retired) , and when we get messed around with a really slow wait team we have got up and left rather than put up with the BS.

One thing though about the buffet that has to be pointed out is that the guy doing the carving normally has no idea how to slice a piece of meat. Breaks my heart to see them cutting it the wrong way, and more than once I've shown them how to do it. We wouldn't put up with them on the BBQ team.

Silly question, is anything stopping you from going to the MDR, sitting down, and ordering dessert only? I love the chocolate melting cake, like absolutely love it and dream about it. I want to try the buffet some time, on my last (and first) cruise we ate MDR every night. This time it would be nice to try the buffet. If we like it, we may do it more often to save time. However, I wouldn't mind stopping into the MDR before close to just order the melting cake. Would they allow this?

Silly question, is anything stopping you from going to the MDR, sitting down, and ordering dessert only? I love the chocolate melting cake, like absolutely love it and dream about it. I want to try the buffet some time, on my last (and first) cruise we ate MDR every night. This time it would be nice to try the buffet. If we like it, we may do it more often to save time. However, I wouldn't mind stopping into the MDR before close to just order the melting cake. Would they allow this?

You could do that. They don't close the dining room doors. Some waiters (but not all) might not like it, since they were thinking that they wouldn't have to re-set the table, but they'll take care of you. If you do anytime dining, then it certainly wouldn't be a problem at all. They would probably be happy to take care of you so quickly.

No problem.

One night I ordered appetizers and dessert. Had my main up in the buffet, leg of lamb.

The waiters were 'not too happy'. They're happiest when your stuffed, lol.

Edited by SadieN

I love the fresh fruit on the buffet. Every morning I had 2 fried eggs, bacon and fresh fruit. There was a melon, which tasted like honeydew, but had a yellow skin. It was delicious, but I have not idea what it was called.

Probably a canary melon.

A Carnival cruise ship is NOT the place if you want to eat gourmet....whether the buffet or the dining room. 2000 to 4000 or more peeps are eating every day...what restaurant does that on land. Want good food....cruise on a tiny ship where food is the emphasis.

There is no "better" place to eat on a ship...banquet food is banquet food. Most items eaten have been frozen or preserved to an inch of their life other than fresh fruit and vegetables and even the salads are laced with preservatives to keep them 'FRESH' looking.

The dining room can be nice, though, because you don't have to keep getting up from your table and it allows time to visit with your table mates, whether friend or foe. And you can be selective in your choices though the service is geared to courses and you won't get your main course until others at your table are finished with their appetizers, salads and soups since that is how banquet seating works...unless you sit at a table for just two.

The buffet, for dinner, is freshest at opening...from there the food sits for the duration. So don't expect the same quality if you choose to eat just before closing.

The best place to eat on a cruise is at the ports of call where you can choose small intimate local restaurants....but many cruisers forego this experience because it is an extra cost, and who wants to spend money for food when they can get it for free on the ship.

Personally I like the midship deli...they have bagels and fruit at breakfast and some really good soups and sandwiches at lunch and its nice to eat in an area where you aren't surrounded by hoards of people jostling each other.

You could do that. They don't close the dining room doors. Some waiters (but not all) might not like it, since they were thinking that they wouldn't have to re-set the table, but they'll take care of you. If you do anytime dining, then it certainly wouldn't be a problem at all. They would probably be happy to take care of you so quickly.

Thanks. I am anytime dining so I will probably enjoy the buffet on a few of the nights and then head to the MDR right before close and have a dessert. :)

Thanks. I am anytime dining so I will probably enjoy the buffet on a few of the nights and then head to the MDR right before close and have a dessert. :)

This may not work in fixed seating since the premise is to have a dinner experience timed with other guests and the servers work their courses within the 2 hour "dining experience". If you want to just dessert, then choose anytime dining where the service isn't "timed". YEMV

them both. Depends on how the day is going, who I am cruising with etc. I find the food to be on the same level in both places. It all depends on if I want to spend the extra time at dinner, where the wife may want to eat etc. At either place I have never gone hungry.

This may not work in fixed seating since the premise is to have a dinner experience timed with other guests and the servers work their courses within the 2 hour "dining experience". If you want to just dessert, then choose anytime dining where the service isn't "timed". YEMV

You must have not read my post correctly, I said I am anytime dining. I realize I wouldn't be able to do this with assigned times. Or do I have the terms mixed up? We don't have a set dining time, we can go whenever we want during dinner hours. That is anytime dining, right?

If you're geriatric or like wannabe "fine dining" that takes three hours, eat in the MDR. Otherwise, eat at the lido buffet.. The food is of similar quality.

I do both MDR and Lido for dinner. I'm fine with either depending on my schedule.

What I'm wondering is why you felt it was necessary to insult people (geriatrics and wannabes) that prefer the MDR rather than just state your preference?

I do both MDR and Lido for dinner. I'm fine with either depending on my schedule.

What I'm wondering is why you felt it was necessary to insult people (geriatrics and wannabes) that prefer the MDR rather than just state your preference?

You're right, I didn't mean to insult anyone, and was tactless. My apologies. I can't seem to edit my post.

I would prefer more casual dining options on The Fun Ships, rather than what Carnival passes off as "fine dining" in the MDR which it's not, IMO. The food is the same, and the lido offers an atmosphere more appropriate for a fun vacation on a budget cruise line.

A Carnival cruise ship is NOT the place if you want to eat gourmet....whether the buffet or the dining room. 2000 to 4000 or more peeps are eating every day...what restaurant does that on land. Want good food....cruise on a tiny ship where food is the emphasis.

There is no "better" place to eat on a ship...banquet food is banquet food. Most items eaten have been frozen or preserved to an inch of their life other than fresh fruit and vegetables and even the salads are laced with preservatives to keep them 'FRESH' looking.

The dining room can be nice, though, because you don't have to keep getting up from your table and it allows time to visit with your table mates, whether friend or foe. And you can be selective in your choices though the service is geared to courses and you won't get your main course until others at your table are finished with their appetizers, salads and soups since that is how banquet seating works...unless you sit at a table for just two.

The buffet, for dinner, is freshest at opening...from there the food sits for the duration. So don't expect the same quality if you choose to eat just before closing.

The best place to eat on a cruise is at the ports of call where you can choose small intimate local restaurants....but many cruisers forego this experience because it is an extra cost, and who wants to spend money for food when they can get it for free on the ship.

Personally I like the midship deli...they have bagels and fruit at breakfast and some really good soups and sandwiches at lunch and its nice to eat in an area where you aren't surrounded by hoards of people jostling each other.

Wow. I don't see anything in your post specific to Carnival. Carnival's deli isn't open for breakfast although they do utilize that space as an omelet station on some Carnival ships. But you have to visit the buffet area to find the fresh fruit at breakfast. I've never seen soup at Carnival's deli on any of their ships. Are you sure you've cruised on a Carnival ship?

I've been on several Carnival cruises and always had dinner in the main dining room. We've never had dinner on the Lido deck.

So I'm curious.....is the same food served on Lido deck and the dining room at dinnertime?

Thanks!

It is not the same food although you can see some similar items. I love the hot homemade soups that Carnival has at the buffet at supper. I'm happy with that and a trip through the salad bar for supper. On my last cruise I did not eat at the dining room at all except for sea day brunch.

If you cruise on Carnival very often you'll find that they pretty much have the same food rotations on the buffet on every cruise. Just as someone pointed out that they get tired of the same foods in the dining room, the same can be said of the buffet if you cruise on Carnival very often.

Wow. I don't see anything in your post specific to Carnival. Carnival's deli isn't open for breakfast although they do utilize that space as an omelet station on some Carnival ships. But you have to visit the buffet area to find the fresh fruit at breakfast. I've never seen soup at Carnival's deli on any of their ships. Are you sure you've cruised on a Carnival ship?

Sorry, I'm not a stickler for names but I am specifically talking about the Ocean Plaza (had to look it up) on the promenade deck - maybe its called the taste bar - which is where I get my morning coffee and bagels as early as 7 am and they serve a great ala-carte lunch. It's right next to the coffee/dessert/ice cream bar (but alas you have to pay extra for them. I wasn't referring to the Lido buffet deli area.

Sorry, I'm not a stickler for names but I am specifically talking about the Ocean Plaza (had to look it up) on the promenade deck - maybe its called the taste bar - which is where I get my morning coffee and bagels as early as 7 am and they serve a great ala-carte lunch. It's right next to the coffee/dessert/ice cream bar (but alas you have to pay extra for them. I wasn't referring to the Lido buffet deli area.

Only the newer ships have that. Maybe Splendor and newer?

I haven't found a consistency to answer with certainty. On two cruises on the Pride (which I enjoyed greatly), I tried the Lido buffet for dinner once. It was terrible (and I'm not picky), with limited stations open. I didn't think it mirrored the dining room menu at all.

On a cruise on Freedom, I found the dinner buffet quite good, having several items from the dining room menu. Ended up eating dinner there five of the six nights.

You won't necessarily find the cold soup and appetizer choices.

I agree with your thinking; sometimes the dining room takes too long and there are others things I'd rather be doing.

Just got off the Freedom and the Lido buffet was awesome and I am a picky eater. We only ate in the DR one night and the sea brunches.