Carnival Freedom 12-day Repo: Full review with 100+ pictures

Spaniel Lover

Of course, there's a lot more to the Lago Mar than watching cruise ships. Even if you didn't give a hoot about cruise ships, it would be a great hotel. One aspect I really liked was the breakfast buffet...

LagoMarBreakfast-IMAG0245.jpg

They even had a chef standing by to make waffles on demand,

and to cook eggs to order, including omelettes...

LagoMarOmelet-IMAG0240.jpg

So, our stay at the Lago Mar resort was a big success. We loved our beachfront room, their breakfast buffet, the swimming pools, and the view of the cruise ships. But the icing on the cake was the fact that the Lago Mar resort had the fastest Internet connection I had ever experienced. Period. I don't know if they had a fiber-optic connection to the net, or what, but it was a BLAZING FAST connection! Check out these results from SpeedTest.net:

LagoMarSpeedtest.png

A SpeedTest result faster than 96% of all the SpeedTests ever done in the USA! Wow! Not to mention an upload speed that was even faster than the download speed. I've never seen that before. I thought my 60Mb/s download speed at home, and 10Mb/s upload speed, was pretty impressive... but 88 down and 95 up?!?! That's one smokin' hot connection. I need to seriously think about retiring to Ft Lauderdale!

One really cool thing about the Lago Mar was that there were wild parrots hanging out in the palm trees near the swimming pools. My wife and I really like parrots... and this was the very first time we've ever seen wild ones flying freely. I'm told that they only visit the Lago Mar for a couple of months during the year. (We were there the week before Thanksgiving.) I totally failed to get a good picture of the wild parrots in the trees by the Lago Mar pool... but I sure did enjoy seeing them.

What Camera Do I Use?

Whenever I post these cruise reviews, I always get questions about what camera I used to take the photos. I actually bring two cameras with me on a cruise, plus my cell phone.

One is just a fairly inexpensive waterproof camera, so I can shoot pictures and videos while snorkeling. The one I use is an Olympus TG-830. However, that's a slightly older model now... and if you're in the market for one, you should get the new version which is the Olympus TG-850.

For everything except the underwater stuff, the camera I use is a Canon EOS-70D digital SLR camera. That's probably too much camera for most people... so if you're in the market for a very high quality digital SLR camera, the one I actually recommend for most people is the Canon Digital Rebel T5i. If you get one, make sure you get the T5i with the 135mm lens, not the cheap version with the 55mm lens.

I also like to have a Canon EF-S 10-18mm lens with me when I'm on a cruise ship. This is a wide angle lens, which is extremely useful when trying to shoot in small spaces (for example, my cabin tour video) or when shooting something very large (like a cruise ship, when you're standing on the pier next to it.)

I also bring along a tripod with me, to allow me to shoot long-exposure shots in low-light situations. It's also handy to have for shooting "selfies". I've got a tripod that is just the right size to fit inside my big suitcase but which is heavy duty enough to be stable. It also has a fluid head, which is something that's very important to look for in a tripod if you intend to use it when shooting video.

JimAndKellyn-IMG_7438.jpg

A selfie, shot with the camera on a tripod and using a 10-second delay

Every now and then I see something photo-worthy when I don't have either of my camera's with me. When that happens, I'll shoot with my cell phone, as a last resort. I don't think I used any cell phone photos on this page, but if you notice any horrible looking photos on the rest of my site, you might be looking at a cell phone photo.

One important technique that I use with my Canon DSLR, since I'm looking to getting the highest quality photos possible, is to shoot in RAW format rather than JPG. This preserves the photos with the highest possible quality, and gives me the greatest ability to tweak them after shooting them. However, it does require a lot of extra work. Any photos which I want to share (via email, Facebook, or on this web site, for example) have to be converted from RAW to JPG. This takes some time and effort, but it's worth it to me in order to get the best end results. Just about all the photos you see on this page have been tweaked to some extent to give them the best finished look. For most photos, I do some sharpening and color correction. On some photos, I have to do even more tweaking than that to get them to look just right.

And that's it!

That's my very-long winded loaded-with-photos Carnival Freedom cruise review.

If you have any questions for me, I'll try to answer them.

If you enjoyed the review and want to read some others I've written about our previous cruises, just follow the links in my signature.

Thanks for reading it!

Excellent review! Enjoyed it very much. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do it.

Btw, the Westerdam has been doing that fancy horn blowing for quite a long time. I used to tune into the PE Webcam just to see/hear it:) And there is often a special thread going on the HAL boards on HAL departure days.

Edited by SMSACE6

Kellyn's Favorite Game

My wife gets a big kick out of playing air hockey. It seems a little unusual for a woman in her 50s, but I just roll with it! On the rare occasions during a cruise when we get a little bored, we'll head to the arcade and play a game. Just about every cruise ship we've ever been on has had an air hockey table in their arcade. On this cruise, we were delighted to find that they had an upgraded type of air hockey game that we had never seen before. It's called PacMan Smash...

PacManAirHockey-IMG_7436.JPG

It plays pretty much like normal air hockey, with one fun twist. At random times during the game, 20 smaller pucks are all released on to the table at the same time. So, you'll just be playing a normal game of air hockey with a standard sized puck, and then all of a sudden with no warning 20 smaller pucks drop down on to the table. It gets crazy!

Kellyn won every single game of PacMan Smash that we played during the 12-day cruise. In fact, she's won every game of air hockey we've played for the last several years. Somehow, that's never struck her as odd, only as awesome. Since she doesn't read Cruise Critic, I'll tell you my dirty little secret behind her amazing winning streak!

I throw the games. Every single one of them. Years ago, I used to just play normal... and I'd win almost every time. It was sad to see the expression on her face change from the joy of playing air hockey to the sorrow of losing. So I just started throwing the games. I do it all the time now... it keeps her happy... and somehow she's never figured it out.

Don't blow my secret, OK?

Awwww that's such a good husband!! My hubby would totally do the same thing as you did regarding the cough drop and the ED commercial. Whenever we are waiting for a table somewhere with the kids, someone always mentions the fact that we have six. Hubby never fails to say that he has always asked me for a TV in the bedroom but I refuse. :rolleyes:

The Captain's Suite

Carnival Freedom is one of a few Carnival ships which feature a very special category of cabin known officially as a "Grand Suite - Forward" but which are more commonly referred to as "The Captain's Suite". Surprisingly, the newest ship in the fleet, Carnival Breeze, doesn't even have them. Only a few ships do.

The Captain's Suite features three beds, two bathrooms, a GIGANTIC balcony with a million dollar view, two big screen televisions, and huge picture windows looking out in front of the ship... with electric blinds that can be closed at the touch of a button.

To help you visualize exactly where the Captain's Suites are located, take a look at the Carnival Freedom deck plans and locate staterooms 9202 and 9203. Those are the two Captain's Suites. Cabins 9196 - 9201 are pretty cool, too... they have pig picture windows with amazing views... but no balcony.

It's pretty easy to identify Carnival ships that feature Captain's Suites. (Ships that have them actually have two of them, one on each side of the ship.) If you take a close look at the bridge of any particular Carnival ship... notice whether or not there is a row of windows one level ABOVE the bridge. If no windows above the bridge, then no Captain's Suites. As far as I know, none of the Carnival ships were outfitted with Captain's Suites when they were originally built at the shipyard. All of the Captain's Suites were added later, as part of a refurbishment and upgrade program.

For example, here's a picture I took of the front of the Carnival Freedom as it exists today...

CarnivalFreedomBow-IMG_7568.JPG

If you look at the bridge, you'll see it actually has two levels. The bottom level is the actual navigational bridge, and the top level is cabins... including The Captain's Suite.

If you'd like to see more pictures of The Captain's Suite on the Carnival Sunshine, which is basically the same as The Captain's Suite on Carnival Freedom and the other Conquest-class ships... take a look at my Carnival Sunshine review.

I so appreciate you adding this... I can't wait... ONE YEAR from today... That's where I'll be!!! and you captured the correct side, too! 9203!!!

I thought you weren't supposed to take pictures of the shows in the theater?

I was going to ask how you managed to convince them to allow you to photograph during the shows but I see some pics are courtesy of Carnival.

Actually, Carnival has finally given up on that bogus claim they used to make that photography was prohibited during the shows due to "international copyright law". They no longer make any announcement before the shows to that effect.

Oddly, however, there were one or two times during the 12-day cruise where they did put a notice in the Fun Times about a particular show and included some small print that photography was prohibited. I wonder if whoever was designing the Fun Times had forgotten that Carnival had a change of policy on this.

In any case, ALL the photos you saw from the shows were taken by me... none provided by Carnival.

Actually, Carnival has finally given up on that bogus claim they used to make that photography was prohibited during the shows due to "international copyright law". They no longer make any announcement before the shows to that effect.

Oddly, however, there were one or two times during the 12-day cruise where they did put a notice in the Fun Times about a particular show and included some small print that photography was prohibited. I wonder if whoever was designing the Fun Times had forgotten that Carnival had a change of policy on this.

In any case, ALL the photos you saw from the shows were taken by me... none provided by Carnival.

Thank you for the info ☺

We like being aft on a ship...and using the aft pool. We are on an extended aft cabin for our upcoming Freedom cruise and part of a group of 10. We didn't realize the aft pool was adults only. The 3 youngest of our group are 15 and 16 years old. Can the aft area still be a meeting place as long as they don't get in the pool or hot tubs? Or is the whole area off limits to under 18?

Great review! Can't wait!!

Edited by steph7021

We are on an extended aft cabin for our upcoming Freedom cruise and part of a group of 10. We didn't realize the aft pool was adults only. The 3 youngest of our group are 15 and 16 years old. Can the aft area still be a meeting place as long as they don't get in the pool or hot tubs? Or is the whole area off limits to under 18?

No problem. You can definitely use that area as a meeting place. There are lots of tables and chairs in the area which you can use. Kids are definitely OK in that area... as the Pizza Pirate is located there, as well as a 24-hour frozen yogurt and ice cream dispenser. It's just the pool and the Jacuzzis that are adults-only.

Sunrises and Sunsets

As a photographer, I always enjoy the photo opportunities on a Caribbean cruise. Sunrises and sunsets are almost always spectacular. I slept through a few sunrises and was busy eating dinner during a few of the sunsets... but here are a few I did get pictures of:

Sunrise-IMG_7716.JPG

Out of all the cruise ship sunrise photos I've ever taken, this has got to be one of my favorites.

The colors are amazing, and I was lucky that the timing worked just right to get the Today Show logo on the big screen!

ArubaSunrise-IMG_7563.JPG

A beautiful sunrise, as seen from our balcony as the ship was approaching Aruba

Sunset-IMG_6929.JPG

Sunset

Wow!!! Your pictures are truly amazing . I think someone needs to do am instructional video on YouTube haha.

somone once told me " You will get sick of cruising " I smiled and said

" Only when I'm dead "

I'm a little surprised that no one has commented on this photo...

SeaLevelBalcony-IMG_7637.JPG

Doesn't it look like the water is coming up to the top of the glass? To me it looks like the floor of the balcony is underwater, with the sea held back by that piece of glass.

There was no trick photography or photo-shopping done. It was just an (unintentional) illusion created by the camera angle and the fact that you only see two of three dimensions in the photo.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it. I'll save that photo for April Fools day... the possibilities for an April Fools day post on Cruise Critic are endless!

Wow!!! Your pictures are truly amazing . I think someone needs to do am instructional video on YouTube haha.

Thanks! I've actually thought of that quite a bit. Maybe I will someday. It would just take a LOT of work to do it right.

I can give you a few tips right now on cruise ship sunrise/sunset pictures...

1. Using a DSLR camera (digital single lens reflex) rather than a cell phone or a pocket-sized camera will hugely improve the shot.

2. If using a DSLR, adding a polarizing filter to the lens will improve the shot.

3. Using a tripod will improve the shot.

4. If the shot includes something in the foreground, such as this photo of the sunrise that features the ship in the foreground, put the camera in aperture-priority mode and set the aperture value to a fairly high number (such as f16) so that you are shooting with a very large depth of field. In other words, so that distant things (the sunrise) and nearby things (the ship) are both in focus.

Sunrise-IMG_7716.JPG

A sunrise photo shot with a large depth of field

A good tutorial about depth of field can be found here.

5. If using a DSLR, use manual focus rather than using the camera's automatic focus system. A perfectly focused sunrise/sunset shot is the difference between a good shot and a great shot. On Canon cameras, use the Live View feature to compose the shot using the rear LCD screen and be sure to use the magnify button to look at a magnified view of the shot when you set the focus.

Manual_focus_main_controls.jpg

6. If you want to shoot a sunrise/sunset shot with a person in the foreground, turn your camera's flash on.

Jim&KellynAtSunset.jpg

My wife and I at sunset, with the camera's flash ON

I hope that's helpful!