Weather for Baltic Cruise in June

calteacher

If you have been on a Baltic Cruise (Rotterdam, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, etc) in June, can you recommend the type of clothing to take? Would it be comparable to Alaska in terms of simple layering; or is it so far north that warmer clothes are preferred?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by calteacher

I did those ports in the Baltic a couple of years ago in mid-June. Temperatures were quite moderate, lots of sunshine, far warmer than Alaska in the same month. I generally wore an undershirt with short sleeve shirts and might have carried a sweater or light jacket - nothing more was required. But weather is a fickle thing so you might consider being prepared with an extra layer just in case. Why not avail yourself of one of the hundreds of internet sites that give typical temperatures for these cities and plan accordingly?

Edited by Dave in NJ

We did a Baltic cruise in June four years ago,we had hot summer weather for all of the Baltic part.We left and returned to Harwich England where it was cool and rainy.St. Petersburg was high 80's with no air conditioning in the Hermitage Museum.The two cruises before and after us had cold rainy weather so you take your chances.I had one pair of capris which I wore the whole time and washed at night.

Enjoy the White Nights.

We were there in June a few years ago and I can assure you that not too many people were in short sleeves. More like long sleeves, a sweater and a rain jacket of some kind. The weather in June can and does go from one extreme to the other. The best thing is to bring layers, wear them in the morning and bring a back pack so you can take layers off if needed.

We were there in Sweden mid to late June and also in part of July then it was off on a full Baltic cruise. July was far warmer and we loved it - in fact it was almost too hot in St. Petersburg. June was sweaters and rain coats. Having lived in Alaska, the weather is very much the same. June was ok but there were those years that it was wonderful. I would plan on mild weather but just in case you hit one of those great years, take some summer clothes.

It really is impossible to predict. We have had June months with sweltering heat waves where you wore t-shirts and tops for weeks on end and June months can be cool and rainy where you can't get out of your rain jacket. Two years ago we went on a cruise around the British Isles where they had had snow a few days before we started the trip. Our Baltics cruise last year was cool but still sunny most of the time - I wore T-shirts or a light sweater plus a fleece vest some days.

I suggest bringing layers including a light fleece jacket or rain jacket and an umbrella plus lighter clothes as well.

If you watch a long-range weather report just a few days before you start you also might get a reasonably reliable answer about the following 2 weeks.

Good luck!

We did the Baltic the first two weeks of June in 2013. Mostly we wore light jackets with a sweater under them sometimes. We were never conscious of being bothered by the temperature. It was nice touring weather.