Azura worries

Itsbeentoolong

Just went on our first P and O cruise on Azura to Caribbean this Jan uary and really enjoyed it.

First one away from RCI for years but wanted a change from the same old same old.

Would not hesitate to go again, planning on another this coming winter.

Used the main dining room for all of our meals ,had planned on trying other venues but the food was good and the service excellent.

Loved the P and O breakfast offering....like a full English but better.

Had a table for 2 but got to talk to others nearby if they wanted to have a conversation.

Loved sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine and watching the stars come out.

We have been on Azura twice and will be taking our grand-daughter on it for a short trip in May. We have enjoyed it both times, far more than when we went on Ventura which is a very similar ship. When we were on her last year they had introduced plated meals rather than silver service and in my opinion it has worked to improve the standard of the food. Just go with an open mind and don't worry about minor hitches that may occur, have a great time and perhaps your other half will become a cruise addict.

The same one we're on with our kids and my parents.

We've never been on Azura, but I've only heard good things about her and I'm in the travel industry. :)

Some fantastic posts in this thread :cool:

I've been trying to read up a lot about cruising to try and hit the ground running as it were, and not spend the first few days wondering what on earth is happening and what I'm supposed to do. I too have been a little perturbed by the nay sayers and the negativity in some reports, but I'm now getting past all that. I'll be on Ventura for my first ever cruise, which also gets it's fair share of flak.

From what I can glean:

A)The food will be fine, and if not someone will fix it. Failing that I can always go and eat somewhere else that evening. I'll certainly not be going hungry.

B) The attitude of the service staff and crew is likely to be phenomenally better than the attitude of some of the passengers.

C) There will at times be crowded areas, such as around the pools. When seeing such an area, I'll simply turn around and find somewhere else. Worst case I'll retreat to my balcony for an hour and try again later - no rush, I'm on holiday.

D) This will be my first foreign holiday for several years, and the thing I'm looking forward to most is getting away from the phone for two weeks, and experiencing something new, where there's a dedicated team of people waiting to fix any problems instead of people bringing them to me to fix :rolleyes:

E) It's an adventure. Things WILL go wrong. Someone will fix it, and that someone won't be me! I'll be too busy doing nothing but enjoying myself.

I've been trying to read up a lot about cruising to try and hit the ground running as it were, and not spend the first few days wondering what on earth is happening and what I'm supposed to do. I too have been a little perturbed by the nay sayers and the negativity in some reports, but I'm now getting past all that. I'll be on Ventura for my first ever cruise, which also gets it's fair share of flak.

From what I can glean:

A)The food will be fine, and if not someone will fix it. Failing that I can always go and eat somewhere else that evening. I'll certainly not be going hungry.

B) The attitude of the service staff and crew is likely to be phenomenally better than the attitude of some of the passengers.

C) There will at times be crowded areas, such as around the pools. When seeing such an area, I'll simply turn around and find somewhere else. Worst case I'll retreat to my balcony for an hour and try again later - no rush, I'm on holiday.

D) This will be my first foreign holiday for several years, and the thing I'm looking forward to most is getting away from the phone for two weeks, and experiencing something new, where there's a dedicated team of people waiting to fix any problems instead of people bringing them to me to fix :rolleyes:

E) It's an adventure. Things WILL go wrong. Someone will fix it, and that someone won't be me! I'll be too busy doing nothing but enjoying myself.

Wonderful post! :)

(Maybe a slight amendment though to E) .....things MIGHT go wrong..)

Wish everyone went on a cruise with your attitude. Have an amazing time.

From what I can glean:

A) The food will be fine. Like any other restaurant, some things are better than others. At worst it's "good hotel" standard.

B) Yes :)

C) Actually (been on V twice in the holidays) it never seems crowded. Getting on and off you see the numbers, and you see it in the theatre and the muster drill, but it never seems like you are on a boat with 3000 people.

D) This is great. There is a daily newspaper (sheet) so you don't get too disconnected but you can just forget stuff for a week. And people can get in touch if absolutely necessary

E) Bang on attitude. My experience is the staff will do their best to fix any problems that arise.

After trying to get my other half on a cruise for 5 years shes finally agreed to one for our Honeymoon.....I've bigged it up so much but after reading the lastest reveiws on here they are pretty shocking, i'm hoping i havent made a mistake. I've been on the Oceana, Aurora and Ventura and the food was amazing but i've heard its a bit ropey now. We love eating out so I downloanded some menus to tempt her :). Even if its not as good as i remember will it still be something a first timer will enjoy?

Thanks

Honeymoon? Then dine in the speciality restaurants every night for the duration of the cruise. :)

From what I can glean:

The post above echoes my own view, with that mentality you will have a truly wonderful holiday and I wish you all the best.

It could be that the speciality restaurants will offer a free bottle of wine for an early sitting. :)

Check when on the ship.

Yes, that was certainly the case over these past couple of weeks.

Being an honorary Yorkshireman, I took advantage on a few nights of such offers!