Formal nights-Reflection

sunshade11

Will be sailing on Reflection in March for 7 day western cruise. For the formal evenings if we were to eat in main dining is it mandatory for the men to wear suit jackets? Will a dress shirt and tie be sufficient.

Was on the Constellation last March for 5 night cruise never wore suit jacket then and there was no problem (in fact wore dressier kahki's and dress shirt with tie).

Edited by sunshade11

Will be sailing on Reflection in March for 7 day western cruise. For the formal evenings if we were to eat in main dining is it mandatory for the men to wear suit jackets? Will a dress shirt and tie be sufficient.

Was on the Constellation last March for 5 night cruise never wore suit jacket then and there was no problem (in fact wore dressier kahki's and dress shirt with tie).

See dress code discussion sticky at the top of the main page....

See dress code discussion sticky at the top of the main page....

As a newbie, I have to say that on first look that thread is rather daunting, at least it was to me when I started lurking here. I see a number of replies that say "go look at the dress code thread", but with 600+ replies and some strong opinions, it's something of a slog.

So I think if the OP is trying to find some more concrete notions of what the dress code is and how to apply it, posts #1 and #10 have the virtues of being easy to follow and clear.

I only mention post #10 because there's a comment that Andy's post wasn't complete (which doesn't seem to be the case, but YMMV, as the kids say).

While I love a man in a tux...someone spilled the beans and gave my DH the heads up on smart casual in Blu. :mad: He now wears a suit and tie.

Yes, all three you have mentioned are now fine. However most will have a suit jacket, quite a few will be dapper in their tux and a small percent will have a shirt and tie. Hope this helps. :)

Have you signed up for the connections party? We have a fun group if you would like to join us. :)

Edited by 20pluscruises

Well....from what I have read it sounds like the longer the cruise the more strict they are with the formal nights? Like I said in previous comment- on the Constellation 5 day cruise last March break there were men in dress pants/shirt and tie and they were "allowed" into dining room. I do not recall seeing one man in a tux. Now its was March break (Ontario) and in the US it was spring break for 100's of college kids also since they were on the ship as well!!

Edited by sunshade11

just back from the feb. 7th reflections cruise. Saw many, many men in tuxes and women in gowns. more than i have seen in past 10 years of cruises. It took me back to the 20th century. i was pleasantly surprised. i wore a cocktail dress and my husband wore a suit and tie. people really dressed well on this cruise.

that said, they will let you in the dining room as long as you wear long pants and look presentable.

As a newbie, I have to say that on first look that thread is rather daunting, at least it was to me when I started lurking here. I see a number of replies that say "go look at the dress code thread", but with 600+ replies and some strong opinions, it's something of a slog.

So I think if the OP is trying to find some more concrete notions of what the dress code is and how to apply it, posts #1 and #10 have the virtues of being easy to follow and clear.

I only mention post #10 because there's a comment that Andy's post wasn't complete (which doesn't seem to be the case, but YMMV, as the kids say).

Andy and Walt did an excellent job however it did not include the Specialty Restaurants which have their own dress code. This was pointed out by another post but takes nothing away from Andy or Walt. I believe the reason they want people to read that is so new threads are not started.

On the Equinox for 11 days last Nov. We to were surprised at the large amount of finely dressed folks on the evenings Celebrity requested formal dress. So much so that the new friends we made, the 6 Amigos are sailing together again this Nov!

image.jpg.fc022faef5fdef6778c0a2c4017d3506.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Was on Reflection Feb 7th. Wore dress shirt and tie with no sport coat at both formal ights with no problem. We had select dining. Agree with bonsat that we saw more tuxes on this cruise that we have seen on recent cruises.

There were a lot of canadian groups on this cruise and i believe they are more into dressing up than americans. if this keeps up, we may be taking the tux and sequins out of storage. i will let you know in six weeks after our equinox cruise 3/27.

Husband and I just got off the Constellation 5 day a couple weeks ago. Because it was a short cruise we were not interested in the extra luggage and care of bringing his tux and/or a suit and dresses and heels for me. We still dressed VERY nicely and decided to try the MDR and if they turned us away we would happily go down to Bistro on 5. We are early eaters and at 6 p.m. we were not turned away at the MDR. We had a lovely dinner by the window.

On the Equinox for 11 days last Nov. We to were surprised at the large amount of finely dressed folks on the evenings Celebrity requested formal dress. So much so that the new friends we made, the 6 Amigos are sailing together again this Nov!

Looks mighty sharp, Mr. Wallie.

Looks mighty sharp, Mr. Wallie.

Why Thank Ya! Thank Ya very much!

Now here is our problem coming up in Nov. All 3 couples are booked in Aqua cabins for the first time! Which means we get to go to Blu, which has no 'Formal' suggested evening:eek:

We are split 50/50 right now as to what to pack:rolleyes:

EW

Why Thank Ya! Thank Ya very much!

Now here is our problem coming up in Nov. All 3 couples are booked in Aqua cabins for the first time! Which means we get to go to Blu, which has no 'Formal' suggested evening:eek:

We are split 50/50 right now as to what to pack:rolleyes:

EW

If you like formal then dress formal. A lot of people in Blu participate in formal evenings. In fact I would say almost everyone does even if that simply means someone who usually wears polo shirts switches to their best Tommy Bahama or Hawaiian shirt for the evening :).

You will see tuxes, gowns and plenty of suits in Blu so you won't feel out of place if you decide to go formal.

If you like formal then dress formal. A lot of people in Blu participate in formal evenings. In fact I would say almost everyone does even if that simply means someone who usually wears polo shirts switches to their best Tommy Bahama or Hawaiian shirt for the evening :).

You will see tuxes, gowns and plenty of suits in Blu so you won't feel out of place if you decide to go formal.

After 25+ years we know the drill, see post #13, we clean up Okie dokie!:D

And have no problem strutting about in cummerbund and little black dresses!

But so many friends book Aqua so they can dine in Blu without the trappings.

One guy, and 2 ladies want to maintain, while the other 3 are ready to be more relaxed. What to do, what to do???

Edited by wallie5446

One guy, and 2 ladies want to maintain, while the other 3 are ready to be more relaxed. What to do, what to do???

I see your dilemma. I don't see any problem with you going formal and the others not, but that could put pressure on the others to go formal too and before you know it one poor sod could end up being the only casual person in the group.

Ah well, talk it over with the others and hopefully everyone can get what they want.

If you have two formals, dress one formal, one not...Remember though that the dress code is "smart casual and above" which leaves all the options open.

Edited by dkjretired

I see your dilemma. I don't see any problem with you going formal and the others not, but that could put pressure on the others to go formal too and before you know it one poor sod could end up being the only casual person in the group.

Ah well, talk it over with the others and hopefully everyone can get what they want.

If you have two formals, dress one formal, one not...Remember though that the dress code is "smart casual and above" which leaves all the options open.

Yes, on our 10 day we will only have 2, and the girls yapping on a 3 way came away with doing 1 all in evening for the now annual staircase pic!