Viking "COL" - "Other Costs"

SrTrPro

I am trying to figure a reasonable estimate of “other costs” during our COL (Prague to Paris) cruise at end of March.

Tips aboard Ship – 12 E per day for staff + 2 E per day for PD x 2 people x 7 days = 196 E

Tips for drivers and guides – 3 E per day x 2 people x 10 days (?) = 60 E.

Extra Meals – 6 lunches + 4 dinners per person – Estimate 600 E

Extra Bar Tab – 3 drinks per day per person x 7 days x 9 E per drink = 400 E

Laundry (maybe) – Est 50 E

Total of about $1300 E or approx. $1500 depending on EX Rate.

Reasonable? – Over the Top? – Not Enough?

We do have $200 in OBC from our TA to help.

Can you tip the PD by charge to CC (done separately from the staff) or does it need to be cash?

We will be staying an extra week in Paris at end (budget of 225E per day not including apartment rental).

Thanks - Bruce

You can put your ship tips on your credit card.

You may be overestimating your drink cost. In addition to unlimited beer and wine at lunch and dinner there are other free drinking occasions. At the welcome and farewell pre-dinner parties they serve champagne, wine, and kirs. If you have a German night dinner, they serve some kind of shots. If you're in Budapest, they serve a fruit brandy up on deck as you leave. We had a day with some bad delays and they had open bar after dinner to make up for it. If you're good at trivia, you might win a bottle of wine (we won twice). I think our bar tab after 14 days was just 4 drinks. We usually got our wine glass refilled at the end of dinner and took that to the lounge.

I realize opinions on wine are very subjective.

Are the Viking "house" wines "OK"?

DW and I enjoy wine at dinner and buy our "everyday" wines at "Costco" - $7 to $10 per bottle wines.

We may also enjoy an after dinner drink other than wine. I have lightly considered the "Silver Spirit" plan which would be $420 for the 2 of us. Give us a better selection of wines and beers + any other drinks. One question - the SS plan is priced in USD on the Viking web site - do they bill it in E and make an adjustment considering the ER so that it comes out to the $210 pp?

Can you also sign up for the package upon boarding - web site says must sign up and pay for at least 30 day prior.

Thanks,

Bruce

1 lunch and 2 dinners in Prague (pre ship) + 1 lunch and 2 dinners in Paris (post ship). Another 4 lunches during cruise if you take the tours (lunches are on your own).

Forgot the "shopping" part - hope to keep a tight rein on DW - you know room and weight restriction for the trip home. Maybe another $100.

Bruce

Besides wine and beer with lunch & dinner, they often have drink specials.

You can also buy wine (or any other drink of choice) in port and bring it on the boat. They just ask that you don't bring it to the lounge. But - you could take it up onto the top deck.

I haven't heard of anyone who has purchased the Silver Spirits package - and felt it saved them money. One of the challenges is that both people in the cabin have to buy it.

Fran

I realize opinions on wine are very subjective.

Are the Viking "house" wines "OK"? NO! Ok, maybe just barely if Two Buck Chuck is your house wine

DW and I enjoy wine at dinner and buy our "everyday" wines at "Costco" - $7 to $10 per bottle wines. If your Costco everyday wine is JLohr Seven Oaks Cab Sav at $11.69 or Kim Crawford at $10 then, no you will not like Viking House Wine....just my two cents worth.

See comments in red

Edited by remydiva

We thought the Viking wines were fine.

Our bill for a 7 day cruise was about 450 euros. Well over half was the Viking service charge/gratuities. Bar bill was about 60 euro, one optional excursion and laundry.

I don't remember what we spent per day in Paris.

We paid our bill with extra euros and charged the rest.

Always expect spending extra money while traveling. While you are on the riverboat, you get meals, wine,tours, entertainment, etc. included. When you booked, you should know the extras expected like tips or optional tours. Your added days pre or post do have added expenses. Paris is expensive. Prague is inexpensive. I have been to both. I will be on a riverboat with an extension to Paris soon. Cruise package included air, transfers, cruise, meals on cruise, wine or beer with meals, tours, and entertainment. Post cruise in Paris includes hotel with breakfasts and one tour. I know that I will pay for tips, optional tours or entertainment, and meals,etc. in Paris. Anytime you travel, you will spend extra money. If it bothers you, then maybe you need to rethink travel. There are other options.

I was well aware that there would be additional expenses. Have done 5 ocean cruises, but this is first RC. Just wanted to get a feel for what others have experienced.

We expect to spend in the $4500 to $5000 range for extra expenses including about $1300 for our 7 night apartment rental in Paris post cruise,

Thanks to all who have responded.

Bruce