Hotels?

parttimr

French Quarter, Downtown, CBD, Warehouse District, Garden District. Check out the street car stops as long as you're close to one of those you can pretty much get anywhere you'll want to go. You can buy an unlimited ride pass for $3/day.

Thanks a bunch! I read somewhere that is wasn't really easy to get to the quarter from the garden district . Can't remember where I saw it though. I'm looking at hotwire to hopefully snag a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you! My other question was what your thoughts were on the Garden District? Is it easy to take the streetcar to the French quarter? <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

<br />

<br />

I grew up in New Orleans, so my answer is from a local resident perspective, not a tourist. I love the Garden District/Uptown, but find it not at all convenient to the French Quarter. I find it difficult to get from one area to the other, even using the Streetcar. I always ask visitors what they want to see, and if they want to spend more time in the Quarter, then i makes more sense to stay closer. If you want to see other areas of the City, it makes more sense to stay outside the French Quarter.<br />

<br />

The hotels I suggested in my first post are outside the French Quarter, but only a few blocks away. They're in the CBD section of the City and are handy to the French Quarter and the Uptown Streetcar line -- in fact the hotels on Carondelet Street and St. Charles Avenue are ON the Streetcar line.<br />

<br />

I would recommend not staying in the Garden District if what you want to do is all Downtown or in the French Quarter, but that's just my local perspective. Sometimes the money saved by staying further away is lost in time and transport to the areas you really want to be in.

I knew I read it somewhere, that's why I asked.

Thank you! My other question was what your thoughts were on the Garden District? Is it easy to take the streetcar to the French quarter? <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

<br />

<br />

I grew up in New Orleans, so my answer is from a local resident perspective, not a tourist. I love the Garden District/Uptown, but find it not at all convenient to the French Quarter. I find it difficult to get from one area to the other, even using the Streetcar. I always ask visitors what they want to see, and if they want to spend more time in the Quarter, then i makes more sense to stay closer. If you want to see other areas of the City, it makes more sense to stay outside the French Quarter.<br />

<br />

The hotels I suggested in my first post are outside the French Quarter, but only a few blocks away. They're in the CBD section of the City and are handy to the French Quarter and the Uptown Streetcar line -- in fact the hotels on Carondelet Street and St. Charles Avenue are ON the Streetcar line.<br />

<br />

I would recommend not staying in the Garden District if what you want to do is all Downtown or in the French Quarter, but that's just my local perspective. Sometimes the money saved by staying further away is lost in time and transport to the areas you really want to be in.

I knew I read it somewhere, that's why I asked.

I would agree with that. I've never stayed in the garden district. I did book it once last year on a weekend where hotel prices were really high in the other areas but fortunately the hotel overbooked and paid for a room for me in the French quarter. :cool:

I would agree with that. I've never stayed in the garden district. I did book it once last year on a weekend where hotel prices were really high in the other areas but fortunately the hotel overbooked and paid for a room for me in the French quarter. :cool:

Oh wow awesome!

Probably won't happen if I book down there, especially since the saints have the bye that week. I'm still a fan since the Archie Manning days and used to go to games when I lived in Ms. I had a friend that lived in Hammond, so I rarely stayed in a hotel, we would have his wife drive us since she didn't drink.

Edited by drifter42

streetcar stops are every 2 blocks so no its not difficult? The quarter is often very noisy late into the night.

Every two blocks or so only if your hotel is on St. Charles Ave

bef4ab0abad7c4db40db94cba0cd68dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway I was looking at the Best Western Plus on St Charles, so the street car shouldn't be a problem there. My problem is that I was looking at hotwire and they have a 2.5 star in the garden district for $86 or may have been $87 that I think may be the same hotel, but I'm not sure. Looks like that BW may fit our bill. If it was just me I wouldn't hesitate booking in the FQ.

Saint Greg could you see the price going down in the downtown/superdome area Oct 8-10 since the saints have the bye that week? Right now it's either $135 or $118. Can't really tell which is the Hyatt.

They very well could go down. I don't see anything major going on those days. Hyatt is definitely the $118 downtown/superdome 95% recommendation. The $135 is French Quarter/Bourbon Street area.

Hi Saint Greg and Drifter42,

Thanks for getting this thread moved back to the top of the forum. Saint Greg, you are so helpful and knowledgeable - I've read your posts on this and have written down hotel names to look into. Taking so much time to help everyone else is very kind of you. There's only so much someone can figure out from guidebooks, websites, and CC (which is the biggest help!) and getting a sense of distance and transportation is always tricky for me.

My DH and I are doing NCL's 5 day Western Caribbean cruise from NOLA March 2-7, 2018. We plan on arriving in NO on Mon., Feb. 26, to spend 3 days sightseeing, then boarding the ship Fri., March 2. I'm hoping Saint Greg can give me some hotels that are in the right area for our needs. We will not have a car.

We plan on walking around the French Quarter, doing a swamp and plantation tour, doing the Creole Queen battlefield tour, and riding the St. Charles streetcar along its entire line to see the garden district and other areas of NO. We're still deciding what else to do. I know the Creole Queen leaves from the FQ and the swamp tour (provider unknown until I book it through Viator on TripAdvisor, but I'm trying to figure out who the provider is) says it "picks up from downtown and French Quarter hotels".

It looks like streetcars will get us to the FQ and we'd want to be within an easy walking distance to a streetcar stop. From my research, I think we want to be near the FQ and downtown. Being near the port to board teh cruise ship is not a high priority.

One of my challenges is eating, which relates to whether or not we stay at a larger "chain" hotel that has a restaurant inside or at a smaller "boutique" hotel. I am allergic to iodine and do not eat anything that comes from the ocean - no seafood of any kind. Yes, I've found that makes eating in NO a bit tricky.

What hotels do you recommend I research?

Also, are there any safety concerns with walking back to our hotel in the evening? We won't be out very late, probably returning to our hotel by 8:00 p.m.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Saint Greg and Drifter42,

Thanks for getting this thread moved back to the top of the forum. Saint Greg, you are so helpful and knowledgeable - I've read your posts on this and have written down hotel names to look into. Taking so much time to help everyone else is very kind of you. There's only so much someone can figure out from guidebooks, websites, and CC (which is the biggest help!) and getting a sense of distance and transportation is always tricky for me.

My DH and I are doing NCL's 5 day Western Caribbean cruise from NOLA March 2-7, 2018. We plan on arriving in NO on Mon., Feb. 26, to spend 3 days sightseeing, then boarding the ship Fri., March 2. I'm hoping Saint Greg can give me some hotels that are in the right area for our needs. We will not have a car.

We plan on walking around the French Quarter, doing a swamp and plantation tour, doing the Creole Queen battlefield tour, and riding the St. Charles streetcar along its entire line to see the garden district and other areas of NO. We're still deciding what else to do. I know the Creole Queen leaves from the FQ and the swamp tour (provider unknown until I book it through Viator on TripAdvisor, but I'm trying to figure out who the provider is) says it "picks up from downtown and French Quarter hotels".

It looks like streetcars will get us to the FQ and we'd want to be within an easy walking distance to a streetcar stop. From my research, I think we want to be near the FQ and downtown. Being near the port to board teh cruise ship is not a high priority.

One of my challenges is eating, which relates to whether or not we stay at a larger "chain" hotel that has a restaurant inside or at a smaller "boutique" hotel. I am allergic to iodine and do not eat anything that comes from the ocean - no seafood of any kind. Yes, I've found that makes eating in NO a bit tricky.

What hotels do you recommend I research?

Also, are there any safety concerns with walking back to our hotel in the evening? We won't be out very late, probably returning to our hotel by 8:00 p.m.

Thank you so much for your help!

Very likely I'll be sailing out of there the day before you arrive. Looking the 2-25 dream cruise :D

You don't have to eat seafood to eat good in New Orleans. Debris po boy, jambalaya, red beans and rice, muffuletta, boudin balls...there are some really good burger places in New Orleans...sweet potato fries :p

Are you open to Hotwire hotels or are you looking to book a hotel straight up that you can cancel easily? Is there a price range you're looking for?

Edited by Saint Greg

I've never used Hotwire, but don't have an issue with trying them. Can you not cancel hotels booked through them? We have no intention of cancelling this trip, however, you never know what might happen and we've got trip insurance just in case. Right now we'd like to narrow down the area we'd stay, make a list of hotels in that area, and keep an eye on prices. We'd like to make a reservation now (if we find a good deal) or later this year. We don't want to be deciding at the last minute.

We'd like to keep the price below $200 a night.

Thank you for the info on feed, as well!

I've never used Hotwire, but don't have an issue with trying them. Can you not cancel hotels booked through them? We have no intention of cancelling this trip, however, you never know what might happen and we've got trip insurance just in case. Right now we'd like to narrow down the area we'd stay, make a list of hotels in that area, and keep an eye on prices. We'd like to make a reservation now (if we find a good deal) or later this year. We don't want to be deciding at the last minute.

We'd like to keep the price below $200 a night.

Thank you for the info on feed, as well!

Hotwire you prepay and it's really hard to get your money back. You can buy insurance but even with that you're supposed to be sick or something. I never buy the insurance. I have gotten them to cancel and I have gotten them to let me switch hotels a couple times but they aren't supposed to do that.

Sometimes you get great deals on hotwire. You may get a $180 room for $100. But sometimes it's not that big of a difference I can see for your nights Astor Crown Plaza...on the Bourbon/Canal street corner...is $148 on Hotwire and $161 on hotels.com...in that case I'd probably just pay the 161 and have more flexibility.

I can give you some of both options if you want. I see a lot of good hotels for under $200 for your nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for looking up those hotels. Since Hotwire could be a hassle if our plans change, it would probably be better if I booked through someplace else. We usually use Expedia and sometimes find the best rate through the hotel's site.

Can you tell me a few hotel names or the street names bordering the area that is best for us to stay? I'm not sure if we're better off being in the French Quarter or along the edge of the French Quarter and downtown. On one hand, we'll be spending our time in the French Quarter and going to the river for two excursions (Creole Queen and a swamp boat tour); on the other hand, are there more restaurants closer to downtown that have more menu options for me. Not that it would hurt me to eat less during our three days in NO - I'll easily make up for it on the ship!

If in the French Quarter, does it get loud at night? I thought I read that somewhere.

You are so helpful! Thank you so much.

BTW, where are you cruising to on Feb. 25?

Thank you for looking up those hotels. Since Hotwire could be a hassle if our plans change, it would probably be better if I booked through someplace else. We usually use Expedia and sometimes find the best rate through the hotel's site.

Can you tell me a few hotel names or the street names bordering the area that is best for us to stay? I'm not sure if we're better off being in the French Quarter or along the edge of the French Quarter and downtown. On one hand, we'll be spending our time in the French Quarter and going to the river for two excursions (Creole Queen and a swamp boat tour); on the other hand, are there more restaurants closer to downtown that have more menu options for me. Not that it would hurt me to eat less during our three days in NO - I'll easily make up for it on the ship!

If in the French Quarter, does it get loud at night? I thought I read that somewhere.

Canal street is right between the French Quarter and Downtown. If you could be near Canal street and Royal/St. Charles, that would be a good location for you. I'll look at expedia and give you some names.

As for noise it's mostly on Bourbon Street and it's not as bad during the week as it is on Friday-Saturday. I have stayed at three hotels on Bourbon street and never heard it in my room.

The Dream cruise would be Cozumel, Belize, Roatan. I'm trying to squeeze one in after the olympics but before March Madness :D

Here are some from expedia in your price range, within a few blocks of Canal/St Charles...and I've stayed at all of them.

Omni Royal Crescent $125

Royal St. Charles $111

Wyndham French Quarter $174

Astor Crown Plaza $161

Holiday Inn Chateau Lamoyne $173

Le Meridien $185

Renaissance Pere Marquette $199

Saint Greg do you happen to have an idea what the 3.5 star hotel in the warehouse district is for $72 on Oct 8-9? Thanks for your wealth of knowledge on hotwire. Who dat

There's only one hotel in that area with 4 stars on trip advisor with 1000-1500 reviews, a restaruant and a pool. Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center...which has previously been a 3* on Hotwire.

There's only one hotel in that area with 4 stars on trip advisor with 1000-1500 reviews, a restaruant and a pool. Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center...which has previously been a 3* on Hotwire.

The problem with TripAdvisor reviews is that so many of them are fake

Saint Greg,

Thank you so very much for the list of hotels. I appreciate knowing that you've stayed there as that's a definitely honest endorsement. You're very generous with your time and sure live up to being a saint.

Your cruise sounds great. What line is it? Our 5 day cruise ports are Cozumel and Costa Maya. Looks like there is quite a lot to do in both places. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I had forgotten that 2019 was a Winter Olympics year. Thanks for the reminder. We love watching the skiing events. A cruise sounds like a good break between two such time consuming sports events. I like that March Madness is shorter than the NBA Playoff season - it took forever for our Warriors to win again.

Saint Greg,

Thank you so very much for the list of hotels. I appreciate knowing that you've stayed there as that's a definitely honest endorsement. You're very generous with your time and sure live up to being a saint.

Your cruise sounds great. What line is it? Our 5 day cruise ports are Cozumel and Costa Maya. Looks like there is quite a lot to do in both places. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I had forgotten that 2019 was a Winter Olympics year. Thanks for the reminder. We love watching the skiing events. A cruise sounds like a good break between two such time consuming sports events. I like that March Madness is shorter than the NBA Playoff season - it took forever for our Warriors to win again.

All of my cruises have been with Carnival. I've considered NCL but they aren't in New Orleans year round like Carnival is. I'm also looking at the Breeze out of Galveston that day. That one would be Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego. Shortly after that the Breeze is leaving Galveston and being replaced by the newer Vista. So I may try to do Breeze and delay Dream until 2019.

I've been to Cozumel five times. There are tons of things to do there. I haven't been to Costa Maya. Carnival sails there out of Mobile. But I'm starting to notice they're adding Costa Maya to some of their 5 days out of New Orleans so I'm sure I'll check it out at some point. I usually get a 5 day in just before or at the very beginning of football season.