Hotels?

parttimr

I've given up on staying outside of the areas I know, so French Quarter/Warehouse District it is. There is a 4* hotel in the French Quarter for $106 that is 80% recommended, with a 4/5 Tripadvisor rating. Any ideas on which one this is currently? Also, any ideas on targeting hotels with cheaper parking? 2 cars at $45/each? Ouch! We're planning on parking at the cruise terminal, so I guess we could park one car there on Saturday and carpool to the hotel.

• 1 month later...
Sure. I'm booking for football season now and finding good deals on Hilton Riverside as late as the end of December. The 4* French Quarter/Mississippi River with 90% recommendation right now on Hotwire is Hilton Riverside. I'm getting it as low as $75 through my December trips.

Hi Saint Greg; I'm looking at Hilton Riverside and was wondering if they have a cruise package with breakfast. Am looking at May 12/13. Thanks for your info.

I am also looking at the Embassy Suites so I can't decide. HELP?

Hi Saint Greg; I'm looking at Hilton Riverside and was wondering if they have a cruise package with breakfast. Am looking at May 12/13. Thanks for your info.

I am also looking at the Embassy Suites so I can't decide. HELP?

Someone one thread up said they were able to get a cruise package under "specials" at Hilton Riverside. That's the first I've ever heard of that and I don't see it listed under specials...maybe it's seasonal?

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hilton-new-orleans-riverside-MSYNHHH/offers/index.htm

Embassy has free drinks at night and a great free breakfast in the morning. It's only 2-3 blocks from the fulton parking garage where I park for cruises...fulton has a free shuttle to the port...it's also about the same from the garage to the riverwalk mall which connects to hilton riverside if you were to stay there.

http://www.neworleansparking.com

Saint Greg:

How are you?

Need your help 😊

We're booked at the Hyatt Regency Downtown (know it's one of your favorites) 😉 and would like to know if there are any good restaurants near or at the hotel for dinner and breakfast...

We'll have a car, however, would prefer to park at Fulton Garage upon arrival and not worry about the car until returning from cruise...how far is the Hyatt from Fulton garage?

As always, thanks much for your help!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Saint Greg hello and thank you for all the help you given on this board, and hello to everybody too

We are going on the Dream out of NOLA in May and have a few questions?

We are flying in for a one night pre and post cruise, for some reason the weekend of May 13th there are two night minimum stays in NOLA and many are already all booked up, is there anything special going on that weekend there that is making the hotels book up this far in advance?

I did manage to get a decent rate (total price for a room) of $313 at the Monteleone, do you recommend this hotel and is it in a safe area?

I also was able to book the Royal Sonesta post cruise on May 21 and got an excellent rate because it is on sunday total rate of $272.6 but also have reservations at the Hotel Mazarin for $213.98 and the Four Points Sheraton bourbon balcony for $249. Which would you choose and why? I was leaning more on the RS because it was refurbished just a couple years ago but the Mazarin sounds nice then there is the 4 points which people claim is in the more crowded area around everything. Would like to hear what you would choose and why, if possible.

Money isn't the issue for us, it is what it is.

I originally had pre cruise reservations at the Hilton Riverside but reading trip advisor there were many negative reviews so cancelled that.

We want an authentic New Orleans meal, was looking at GW Fins, Upperline, Restaurant August, R'evolution, Emeril's, Muriels and Commanders place as well as others but its the typical more american meal....is there any restaurant where the locals go, and can you tell us of restaurants for true authentic creole/cajun dinner (price is no concern in fact we rather have a 4/5 star restaurant)?

What is the best place to get pralines and the best voodoo shop lol

Many thanks!

Someone one thread up said they were able to get a cruise package under "specials" at Hilton Riverside. That's the first I've ever heard of that and I don't see it listed under specials...maybe it's seasonal?

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/louisiana/hilton-new-orleans-riverside-MSYNHHH/offers/index.htm

Embassy has free drinks at night and a great free breakfast in the morning. It's only 2-3 blocks from the fulton parking garage where I park for cruises...fulton has a free shuttle to the port...it's also about the same from the garage to the riverwalk mall which connects to hilton riverside if you were to stay there.

http://www.neworleansparking.com

Hi SaintGreg and thank you for your help. Which would you choose. Hilton/Embassy. Also saw that the Hyatt is your favorite? Thanks for info.

We didn't choose the Hilton because of too many negative reports on trip advisor.

Thanks Cruisegirl6; just read some of the tripadvisor reports and you are right. A lot of negative reports..... Maybe I'll try the Embassy.

Saint Greg:

How are you?

Need your help ��

We're booked at the Hyatt Regency Downtown (know it's one of your favorites) �� and would like to know if there are any good restaurants near or at the hotel for dinner and breakfast...

We'll have a car, however, would prefer to park at Fulton Garage upon arrival and not worry about the car until returning from cruise...how far is the Hyatt from Fulton garage?

As always, thanks much for your help!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've done that once before. It's a mile or so. What I did was park at Fulton and use streetcars to get to the hotel. Just took a backpack with items that were needed for the night. Returned the next day to collect the remaining luggage and take the free shuttle to the port....If you want to totally be done with the car...you'd probably want to drop the luggage off at the hotel before parking then take a cab to the port the next day.

As for restaurants close to the hotel...John Besh has a few restaurants in the area...one of which is in the Hyatt, Borgne is downstairs by the front desk. There are actually three restaurants and a Starbucks in the Hyatt.

http://www.borgnerestaurant.com/

If you step out of the front of the hotel and go right..walk to the stop light and take a left on Girod Street. There are a few places about a block down. Willa Jean is another John Besh place that is mostly a cafe with baked goods and breakfast.

http://www.willajean.com/

There's a really good burger place on that block as well...I'm addicted to sweet potato fries.

https://www.thecompanyburger.com/

There's a pizza place and a vietnamese place on that block I haven't eaten at...There's also a Rouse's grocery store another block up if you need that.

If you were to come out of the hotel and go left, then take a right on Poydras Street, a block down on the left is Walk-On's...That's a sports bar/bistreaux with some south louisiana themes on the menu. It's part owned by Drew Brees. https://walk-ons.com/

If you keep walking the next block on the right has a mexican themed restaurant that Besh helped create with Aaron Sanchez called Johnny Sanchez. http://www.johnnysanchezrestaurant.com/home-1 Next to that is Reginelli's Pizzeria http://www.reginellis.com/

If you go two blocks further and take a left on St. Charles. One block up on the left is another Besh Restaurant, Luke.

http://www.lukeneworleans.com/

That's going about 7 blocks from your hotel.

Edited by Saint Greg

Saint Greg hello and thank you for all the help you given on this board, and hello to everybody too

We are going on the Dream out of NOLA in May and have a few questions?

We are flying in for a one night pre and post cruise, for some reason the weekend of May 13th there are two night minimum stays in NOLA and many are already all booked up, is there anything special going on that weekend there that is making the hotels book up this far in advance?

I did manage to get a decent rate (total price for a room) of $313 at the Monteleone, do you recommend this hotel and is it in a safe area?

I also was able to book the Royal Sonesta post cruise on May 21 and got an excellent rate because it is on sunday total rate of $272.6 but also have reservations at the Hotel Mazarin for $213.98 and the Four Points Sheraton bourbon balcony for $249. Which would you choose and why? I was leaning more on the RS because it was refurbished just a couple years ago but the Mazarin sounds nice then there is the 4 points which people claim is in the more crowded area around everything. Would like to hear what you would choose and why, if possible.

Money isn't the issue for us, it is what it is.

I originally had pre cruise reservations at the Hilton Riverside but reading trip advisor there were many negative reviews so cancelled that.

We want an authentic New Orleans meal, was looking at GW Fins, Upperline, Restaurant August, R'evolution, Emeril's, Muriels and Commanders place as well as others but its the typical more american meal....is there any restaurant where the locals go, and can you tell us of restaurants for true authentic creole/cajun dinner (price is no concern in fact we rather have a 4/5 star restaurant)?

What is the best place to get pralines and the best voodoo shop lol

Many thanks!

I don't know of anything going on May 13th. I believe that's after Jazz Fest. You never know in New Orleans they have a lot of conventions that can jack prices up.

I love the Monteleone. You'll love the Monteleone. The location is outstanding. Make sure you have a drink at the Carousel Bar.

Go out of your hotel take a right, three blocks down take a left on st. louis

http://www.antoines.com/

I've never stayed at Hotel Mazarin. It's on one of the side streets by Royal Sonesta so the location is very similar. I have stayed in Royal Sonesta and Four Points Sheraton. I like both. Royal Sonesta is nicer. RS is a 4-4.5* while 4 points is 3-3.5*.

Negative reviews on Hilton Riverside? That's surprising. I've stayed there a lot and never had a problem. You're doing well with the other hotels though. You aren't going to be as close to the port but you're going to be right there in the french quarter.

For pralines check out Southern Candy Makers...which I believe is right next to Monteleone...Laura's candies on Chartres. That's on the street behind Monteleone and a block down....and Leah's which is across the street from Antoines. If you make it to the French Market there are several over there. I get Aunt Sally's. I think you can also get those at various gift shops around the quarter.

I've never gone in any of the voodoo stores. They're all around the french quarter though.

Hi SaintGreg and thank you for your help. Which would you choose. Hilton/Embassy. Also saw that the Hyatt is your favorite? Thanks for info.

I like all of those hotels. I've stayed at all three of them in the past three months actually. It depends on what I'm going for. If i'm going for a Saints game, Hyatt is my first choice because it's right next to the superdome. If I'm going for a cruise Hilton Riverside is my first choice because it's close to the port, connected to the riverwalk mall and I could get a room with a view of the river. If it's a big family that's planning on eating breakfast in the morning, the free breakfast at Embassy would probably move the needle. But if I'm going for a Saints game and Hilton or Embassy are signifcantly cheaper than Hyatt I'll stay at one of those..or If I'm going for a cruise and Hyatt is significantly cheaper than the hotels near the cruise port I'll stay there.

If you stay at Embassy...try to not get a room on the commerce street side. I was supposed to have a balcony room on Julia Street but when I checked in they had given it to someone else. They put us on commerce street. There's a huge air conditioner on that side of the building that is so loud you can hear it with the balcony door shut....I don't know why anyone would want to be out on the balcony with it running. That's my only warning about embassy.

Saint Greg thank you so much for that information! I am glad I chose the Monteleone for the pre cruise night stay but now wondering should I reserve for the post night or should I keep the RS? I am going to cancel the Four Points and the Mazarin as your advice is well taken and appreciated.

I do have one question, how long is the drive time from the Monteleone to the cruise pier? I assume it be around 15-20 minutes am I correct?

Southern Candymakers may go there both times lol actually planning on having some boxes shipped to home so I can give them to family and friends. :D

Saint Greg thank you so much for that information! I am glad I chose the Monteleone for the pre cruise night stay but now wondering should I reserve for the post night or should I keep the RS? I am going to cancel the Four Points and the Mazarin as your advice is well taken and appreciated.

I do have one question, how long is the drive time from the Monteleone to the cruise pier? I assume it be around 15-20 minutes am I correct?

Southern Candymakers may go there both times lol actually planning on having some boxes shipped to home so I can give them to family and friends. :D

Your call on the hotels. Both are nice and they're only 2 blocks away from each other. Royal Sonesta is on Bourbon Street.

All depends on traffic getting to the port. It's only 1.5 miles. I'd say 5-15mins depending on traffic.

I was wrong on Southern CandyMakers. That is on Decatur...about 3 blocks from your hotel....Royal Praline is the one next to Monteleone.

Hi Saint Greg! Thanks much for the Excellent and thorough response :)

I'm about to spend time reviewing your suggested restaurants :)

You are truly a wealth of information and to put it simply, YOU ROCK!! :D

Have a great weekend,

Joy

I've done that once before. It's a mile or so. What I did was park at Fulton and use streetcars to get to the hotel. Just took a backpack with items that were needed for the night. Returned the next day to collect the remaining luggage and take the free shuttle to the port....If you want to totally be done with the car...you'd probably want to drop the luggage off at the hotel before parking then take a cab to the port the next day.

As for restaurants close to the hotel...John Besh has a few restaurants in the area...one of which is in the Hyatt, Borgne is downstairs by the front desk. There are actually three restaurants and a Starbucks in the Hyatt.

http://www.borgnerestaurant.com/

If you step out of the front of the hotel and go right..walk to the stop light and take a left on Girod Street. There are a few places about a block down. Willa Jean is another John Besh place that is mostly a cafe with baked goods and breakfast.

http://www.willajean.com/

There's a really good burger place on that block as well...I'm addicted to sweet potato fries.

https://www.thecompanyburger.com/

There's a pizza place and a vietnamese place on that block I haven't eaten at...There's also a Rouse's grocery store another block up if you need that.

If you were to come out of the hotel and go left, then take a right on Poydras Street, a block down on the left is Walk-On's...That's a sports bar/bistreaux with some south louisiana themes on the menu. It's part owned by Drew Brees. https://walk-ons.com/

If you keep walking the next block on the right has a mexican themed restaurant that Besh helped create with Aaron Sanchez called Johnny Sanchez. http://www.johnnysanchezrestaurant.com/home-1 Next to that is Reginelli's Pizzeria http://www.reginellis.com/

If you go two blocks further and take a left on St. Charles. One block up on the left is another Besh Restaurant, Luke.

http://www.lukeneworleans.com/

That's going about 7 blocks from your hotel.

I waited until last minute to book a hotel for my cruise. I am staying pre cruise in Metairie at the super 8. But looking into staying post cruise on February 23 in New Orleans. I haven't ever stayed in the French Quarter as we usually stay at the Holiday Inn Superdome. Looking on hotwire I am thinking the 4.5 star boutique hotel will probably be the Royal Sonesta.

We want to walk around go to some great places to eat. We will have a vehicle but plan on valet parking it and not using again until we leave. Would this be the hotel you recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

I waited until last minute to book a hotel for my cruise. I am staying pre cruise in Metairie at the super 8. But looking into staying post cruise on February 23 in New Orleans. I haven't ever stayed in the French Quarter as we usually stay at the Holiday Inn Superdome. Looking on hotwire I am thinking the 4.5 star boutique hotel will probably be the Royal Sonesta.

We want to walk around go to some great places to eat. We will have a vehicle but plan on valet parking it and not using again until we leave. Would this be the hotel you recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Yeah if you're looking at French Quarter Bourbon Street 4.5 * Boutique, that should be Royal Sonesta. The location is great. It's on Bourbon Street. You're in the french quarter. There are tons of bars, restaurants, shopping within walking distance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

We'll be in New Orleans for 3 nights prior to our cruise on the Triumph (Spring Break), and I've been surprised at how expensive hotels are?!

We are Hilton Honors points people, so we booked two rooms at the Hampton Inn and Suites, but the total for 3 nights was $1400. Yikes. I was impressed by the Tripadvisor reviews for this hotel though!

I can get two suites at the Country Inn for 3 nights for just a tad less, at $1370.

Any other suggestions for relatively spacious rooms in a safe area (but walking distance to most things)? We are a family of 4 in one room (two kids, ages 1 and 7), and my parents in the other room.

Thank you!

Ok, I'm seeing everyone is getting amazing deals on Hotwire! I just checked, and for our dates, it seems I can get a 4* hotel in Downtown - Superdome area with a 95% approval rating for $128/night. The last person that booked got the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. Worth trying? The total for 2 rooms (3 nights) would be $980. Which is almost $500 less than what we're going to pay at the Hampton Inn...

Hi all!

We'll be in New Orleans for 3 nights prior to our cruise on the Triumph (Spring Break), and I've been surprised at how expensive hotels are?!

We are Hilton Honors points people, so we booked two rooms at the Hampton Inn and Suites, but the total for 3 nights was $1400. Yikes. I was impressed by the Tripadvisor reviews for this hotel though!

I can get two suites at the Country Inn for 3 nights for just a tad less, at $1370.

Any other suggestions for relatively spacious rooms in a safe area (but walking distance to most things)? We are a family of 4 in one room (two kids, ages 1 and 7), and my parents in the other room.

Thank you!

Have you checked out embassy suites? They had a good deal for Hilton honors when I stayed there in October. Two bed room and a living room with sofa sleeper. Free drinks and breakfast. What nights are you staying?