Hotels?

parttimr

Saint Greg,

I must say you are indeed a saint, and a Hotwire maven, and I'm wondering if I could ask you for help for our pre-cruise Hotel stay.

November 10-12, (Thursday and Friday nights) leaving November 12 on Triumph.

On regular sites, most hotels near to the parking garages are $200-$400/night! Saints don't play until Sunday, don't know why rates are so high.

We're looking for more like $100 a night if we can get on the same side of the river, and less than that if on the Westbank area...

Can you help me navigate Hotwire? Do I need to post the results here?

Another kicker that I just found out about is parking. Most downtown hotels seem to charge $40/night parking and more, which adds heartburn to a cheap hotel price. Any way to tell on Hotwire or any other site what parking rates are for the hotels?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Gayle Snedecor

Post Katrina parking in New Orleans stinks. You just have to factor that high cost into your hotel room. Pre Katrina I used to stay in two hotels. One I parked in a garage across the street for $5. The other I got valet for $15. But times have changed!

The closest to $100 is the 4* downtown/superdome with 95% recommendation for $114. That should be Hyatt Regency. Super nice luxury hotel. As for parking....Valet parking is $40. But if you drive past the hotel and take a right on Girod street, There's a parking garage entrance on your right. That garage is $25/night and it has an entrance to the second floor of the hotel. Out in front of Hyatt Regency is a streetcar stop in the median. Take the loyola street car and it's about a 5min ride to the french quarter. If you buy a daily pass it's $3/day for unlimited riding. There's also a 3 day pass which you may use if you're going to go somewhere on saturday before you go to the port.

Your next closest option to $100 is Astor Crown Plaza which is the 4* French Quarter Bourbon Street with 80% recommendation for $123. This one is right on Canal Street by Bourbon. But their only option is the $40 valet. You could book the Commerce Street garage on neworleansparking.com for $15/night + $5 service fee. That's probably a 4 block walk. But when you book that garage online....when you get there they tell you you have to park on like the 9th floor or higher...and it's close quarters. I did it once last year on a three night stay. It was a nightmare getting my full size truck up there. But it will save you money.

I think everything else in the area is $150+

I don't have a great deal of knowledge of westbank hotels. But I do know that some have gotten the Holiday Inn Westbank Tower as a 3* on hotwire.

Edited by Saint Greg

I don't have a great deal of knowledge of westbank hotels. But I do know that some have gotten the Holiday Inn Westbank Tower as a 3* on hotwire.

Greg,

Thank you so much for all the information, I'll check it out. Reading further, I've seen that you've stayed in Metairie before. Any good options out there for our 11/10--11/12 two night stay? We'll be driving in from Texas so that would be convenient.

Saint Greg,

Thanks sooo much for sharing your knowledge of hotels in the New Orleans area...

I've learned tons and am in the process of finalizing our hotel for December 2-4th...

Wanted to ask your opinion...Embassy Suites Lofts vs. Hilton Riverside hotel...which would you choose? Pros and Cons of each hotel?

Truly appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks much!

JJ

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Greg,

Thank you so much for all the information, I'll check it out. Reading further, I've seen that you've stayed in Metairie before. Any good options out there for our 11/10--11/12 two night stay? We'll be driving in from Texas so that would be convenient.

The only Metairie Hotel I've stayed in that I'm confident everyone will like is the Marriot at Lakeway...which I don't see for your nights. If you're going to stay in that area I'd look at the airport hotels which are just a few miles up the road.

In the MSY Airport area the 3* with 100% recommendation for $109 should be Holiday Inn Express. The 2.5* "all suites hotel" with 90% recommendation for $98 should be Comfort Suites.

Those have free parking and free breakfast. comfort suites has indoor/outdoor pool and is 4 miles closer to town where holiday inn express is on the other side of the airport.

Saint Greg,

Thanks sooo much for sharing your knowledge of hotels in the New Orleans area...

I've learned tons and am in the process of finalizing our hotel for December 2-4th...

Wanted to ask your opinion...Embassy Suites Lofts vs. Hilton Riverside hotel...which would you choose? Pros and Cons of each hotel?

Truly appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks much!

JJ

Embassy Suites Lofts I really liked. I was in a different building from the front desk. I went up a flight of stairs and there was just one other room up there. Had living room and bedroom. They had the best free breakfast I've ever had. They had everything you could imagine...including cooked to order omelets. You got 2 or 3 free drinks in the bar at night.

Riverside doesn't have free breakfast or free drinks. It has a great seafood restaurant, a great bar, starbucks, a streetcar stop outside, it's connected to the riverwalk mall where you can shop, eat, watch ships, and walk to the port. There's potential for a room with a river view.

If you don't have a car you can save cab fare by walking to the port from riverside. If you do have a car you can save a few bucks with the self park option at riverside ($25-30) vs. valet at Embassy ($38 + tip).

I've only stayed at embassy once. I liked it. I'd stay there again. But riverside is my preference. I stay there several times a year.

Embassy Suites Lofts I really liked. I was in a different building from the front desk. I went up a flight of stairs and there was just one other room up there. Had living room and bedroom. They had the best free breakfast I've ever had. They had everything you could imagine...including cooked to order omelets. You got 2 or 3 free drinks in the bar at night.

Riverside doesn't have free breakfast or free drinks. It has a great seafood restaurant, a great bar, starbucks, a streetcar stop outside, it's connected to the riverwalk mall where you can shop, eat, watch ships, and walk to the port. There's potential for a room with a river view.

If you don't have a car you can save cab fare by walking to the port from riverside. If you do have a car you can save a few bucks with the self park option at riverside ($25-30) vs. valet at Embassy ($38 + tip).

I've only stayed at embassy once. I liked it. I'd stay there again. But riverside is my preference. I stay there several times a year.

Excellent! [emoji4]

Thanks much for responding...truly appreciated!!

Decisions, decisions...makes my head hurt [emoji32]

Sounds like either hotel would be nice...Riverside is about $100 less per night and has Starbucks [emoji1] Riverside wins! [emoji106]

Thanks much Saint Greg...YOU ROCK!

Edited by txhomeschoolmom

Excellent! [emoji4]

Thanks much for responding...truly appreciated!!

Decisions, decisions...makes my head hurt [emoji32]

Sounds like either hotel would be nice...Riverside is about $100 less per night and has Starbucks [emoji1] Riverside wins! [emoji106]

Thanks much Saint Greg...YOU ROCK!

Oh yeah $100/day....you can buy a REALLY good breakfast with that. :D

If anyone is planning on cruising in Feb. beware it sounds like the NBA is going to move the all-star game to New Orleans. The weekend of Feb. 19th is going to be a mess. Hotel prices are already going up. That's around the time I was looking at. I may be looking at Galveston or Mobile now.

Saint Greg,

Seems like you really have this all figured out! If I may pick your brain. . .

My family (2 adults 3 children) will be flying in to NO on 2/11 for a V-day cruise and we will be needing a hotel this night.

I'm wanting to find the best value including trip cost from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise ship.

We've never cruised out of this port before so all is new to us and I'm unsure what cab fare will run us.

I've glanced at some of your recommended hotels on hotwire and all are pricey for this week.

Was hoping to pay around $200 for hotel and transport. Free breakfast would be a plus as there are 5 of us and that does add up.

Please advise. Thank you kindly.

Saint Greg,

Seems like you really have this all figured out! If I may pick your brain. . .

My family (2 adults 3 children) will be flying in to NO on 2/11 for a V-day cruise and we will be needing a hotel this night.

I'm wanting to find the best value including trip cost from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise ship.

We've never cruised out of this port before so all is new to us and I'm unsure what cab fare will run us.

I've glanced at some of your recommended hotels on hotwire and all are pricey for this week.

Was hoping to pay around $200 for hotel and transport. Free breakfast would be a plus as there are 5 of us and that does add up.

Please advise. Thank you kindly.

I think the only way you can make it happen for that price on that night is by staying in one of the hotels out near the airport. A cab from airport area to downtown is $15/person if it's more than 2 people. So your cab ride alone is probably $60. The downtown/FQ/WHD hotels I'd recommend are going to be $185+ after fees and taxes for that night....and if you can't walk to the port from them, then you have another cab ride to pay for the next day.

Most of the airport hotels offer a free shuttle from the airport and a free breakfast. Then you'd just need the cab to the port the next day. If you use hotwire make sure you put 2 adults, 2 children in the search. Otherwise you could end up with 1 bed...and don't use priceline with that many people. They only book double occupancy.

Here are a couple hotwire hotels by the airport with a free shuttle from the airport and free breakfast...The comfort suites is 4-5miles closer to the port and has an indoor pool if it's cold:

2.5* MSY Airport 90% recommendation $111 - Comfort Suites

3* MSY Aiport 100% recommendation $115 - Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Orleans Airport South

I'd love to get the Hilton Riverside for my dates (Jan 13 - 15) but by your description (4* French Qtr/Miss River, tennis nearby) the best rate I can find is $185 a night. I need two rooms, and am debating the wisdom of booking them separately. I guess I'll keep watching.

(And Saint Greg, I've already gleaned a lot of wisdom from your previous posts - thanks!)

tmcmom, what about getting a room at embassy suites. 6 plus people fit in those rooms great and they have the most extensive free breakfast and even snacks and drinks in the evenings. Thought it might work for you and would cost less than booking 2 rooms.

I'd love to get the Hilton Riverside for my dates (Jan 13 - 15) but by your description (4* French Qtr/Miss River, tennis nearby) the best rate I can find is $185 a night. I need two rooms, and am debating the wisdom of booking them separately. I guess I'll keep watching.

(And Saint Greg, I've already gleaned a lot of wisdom from your previous posts - thanks!)

Now riverside is $199 for your nights...but if you came in a day earlier, it's $159.

I guess I'll keep watching. Still about 6 months out. May consider Embassy Suites, but would prefer to book separate rooms. We'd like to be close to French Quarter or good streetcar access. My mother's boyfriend does not walk long distances well, but they've never been to New Orleans before and would like to explore some sights. Would like to keep each room under $150 (including fees) if possible.

Edited by tmcmom

St Greg

Myself, DW and our 2 kids (12 & 8) are Flying into NOLA on Sat 3/25 for 1 night of Pre Cruise Stay(leaving on Dream Sun 3/26. When we return Sun 4/2 we will be staying another 3-4 days to enjoy NOLA

DW just booked our Pre Cruise 1 nighter at the Hilton Double Tree on Canal St for $164 w/ River View. HOw is this hotel

Do you have any thoughts on this Hotel and if decent for a 1 nighter, would it be good for a 3 night stay for our After Cruise stay ? Is it close to a street car/trolley stop (or whatever the term is)?

We were trying to stay under $175/night somewhere in the WH district close to the Cruise Terminal for the 1 night, but would like either WH or FQ district for 3 night stay

Thanks in advance

PS, you are rockin with all your insight and help you have given everybody

St Greg

Myself, DW and our 2 kids (12 & 8) are Flying into NOLA on Sat 3/25 for 1 night of Pre Cruise Stay(leaving on Dream Sun 3/26. When we return Sun 4/2 we will be staying another 3-4 days to enjoy NOLA

DW just booked our Pre Cruise 1 nighter at the Hilton Double Tree on Canal St for $164 w/ River View. HOw is this hotel

Do you have any thoughts on this Hotel and if decent for a 1 nighter, would it be good for a 3 night stay for our After Cruise stay ? Is it close to a street car/trolley stop (or whatever the term is)?

We were trying to stay under $175/night somewhere in the WH district close to the Cruise Terminal for the 1 night, but would like either WH or FQ district for 3 night stay

Thanks in advance

PS, you are rockin with all your insight and help you have given everybody

I haven't stayed at that particular Doubletree. I have stayed at the one by the New Orleans airport and two in the Dallas area and they were all solid 3-3.5* hotels. And they give you warm cookies when you check in. I'd say the location is good especially for getting to the French Quarter. It's right next to Harrah's if that interests you. It's basically on Canal street. There are street car stops right there on Canal. It's 1 block from Decatur and 4 blocks from Bourbon Street.

I do know that Hilton Riverside is available on Hotwire for your precruise night for $162. The only way I would say that would be a big deal is if you need transportation to the port and wanted to save on a cab by walking through the riverwalk mall to the port...In that case riverside would be a better option. If you want to be closer to the French Quarter, you're good where you're at.

Being a person who books my hotels on hotwire..and based on what is available and the prices...If it were my trip.... precruise I would book Riverside ($162 4* warehouse district 90% rating and tennis nearby) and post cruise I would book the Wyndham French Quarter ($105 3.5* French Quarter-Bourbon Street 85% recommendation with Indoor Pool).

If you do mess with Hotwire at all...make sure you put 2 adults, 2 children into your search otherwise you could end up with 1 bed for 4 people.

Edited by Saint Greg

If you do mess with Hotwire at all...make sure you put 2 adults, 2 children into your search otherwise you could end up with 1 bed for 4 people.

Would you mind checking what you see on 9/22-9/25 near the cruise port? The wife and I are heading out on the Dream on 9/25. I have a reservation at Prytania Park for $139 per night but I have a little bit of anxiety regarding cabs/uber in New Orleans and would prefer to walk to the port if possible.

Would you mind checking what you see on 9/22-9/25 near the cruise port? The wife and I are heading out on the Dream on 9/25. I have a reservation at Prytania Park for $139 per night but I have a little bit of anxiety regarding cabs/uber in New Orleans and would prefer to walk to the port if possible.

The only hotel I recognize for those nights that I know you can walk to the port from is Hilton Riverside which is $200. Prices seem to just be going up that week. I booked last night for the Monday Night Football game on the 26th and today it's $60 more than it was last night.

The only hotel I recognize for those nights that I know you can walk to the port from is Hilton Riverside which is $200. Prices seem to just be going up that week. I booked last night for the Monday Night Football game on the 26th and today it's $60 more than it was last night.

Thanks. I always seem to pick cruises out of NOLA either just before an NFL game or during Southern Decadence. At least this time it's a Monday night game.

Looks like we'll be staying in the Garden District.

I have to say I used Hotwire for March 2016 stay, put in 4 people and STILL ended up with just one king size bed at the hotel assigned. That hotel did give us a 2 double bed room but made it seem like they were doing us a favor. Luckily it worked out as they were pretty booked, it was Easter weekend.

I haven't stayed at that particular Doubletree. I have stayed at the one by the New Orleans airport and two in the Dallas area and they were all solid 3-3.5* hotels. And they give you warm cookies when you check in. I'd say the location is good especially for getting to the French Quarter. It's right next to Harrah's if that interests you. It's basically on Canal street. There are street car stops right there on Canal. It's 1 block from Decatur and 4 blocks from Bourbon Street.

I do know that Hilton Riverside is available on Hotwire for your precruise night for $162. The only way I would say that would be a big deal is if you need transportation to the port and wanted to save on a cab by walking through the riverwalk mall to the port...In that case riverside would be a better option. If you want to be closer to the French Quarter, you're good where you're at.

Being a person who books my hotels on hotwire..and based on what is available and the prices...If it were my trip.... precruise I would book Riverside ($162 4* warehouse district 90% rating and tennis nearby) and post cruise I would book the Wyndham French Quarter ($105 3.5* French Quarter-Bourbon Street 85% recommendation with Indoor Pool).

I have to say I used Hotwire for March 2016 stay, put in 4 people and STILL ended up with just one king size bed at the hotel assigned. That hotel did give us a 2 double bed room but made it seem like they were doing us a favor. Luckily it worked out as they were pretty booked, it was Easter weekend.

They tried to screw you over. I call ahead since I pretty much only stay on busy weekends. Some hotels will be able to tell you what room type you're in. Some will say they can't see that for Hotwire rooms. When I check in I ask what my room type is and also bring my printout that says 2 adults, 2 children. If they don't have a two bed room they shouldn't even show up when you search with 2 adults, 2 children. I'm in my 11th year of using Hotwire for Saints games and I'm going to say they've tried to give me the wrong room type less than 5 times. But it always gets resolved.

Which hotel did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint Greg

It was Hyatt House. What really got me was that the guy checking us in saw that it was me, my husband and 2 kids, who were all standing there at the check-in desk with me. I had my print-out with me but didn't even think to ask him the type of room because of that. Now I will always doublecheck. I was glad that he transferred us to another room on the top floor so I didn't have to carry the luggage further. We also had a lot of other issues with the hotel room and service, like not having bedding for the fold out couch which was our "second bed". (first room was just a king size bed, no fold out couch even, for 4 people!) It took multiple calls to the front desk and over an hour waiting to get sheets and pillows at 9-10pm at night. I will also add that Hyatt Place free breakfast was not ideal. Every single person waiting for omlettes were waiting 20-30 minutes for one omlette, they even "lost" my husband's order despite him standing there the entire time, therefor not missing his name being called. We would never stay at that hotel again, despite the manager trying to make up for all the mistakes once I posted on tripadvisor how bad the stay was. I even remember that the hotel didn't even provide small bottles of lotion like practically every moderate range hotel does now. Probably the worst hotel stay I've ever had, definitely the worst for the amount we paid, even using hotwire.

It was Hyatt House. What really got me was that the guy checking us in saw that it was me, my husband and 2 kids, who were all standing there at the check-in desk with me. I had my print-out with me but didn't even think to ask him the type of room because of that. Now I will always doublecheck. I was glad that he transferred us to another room on the top floor so I didn't have to carry the luggage further. We also had a lot of other issues with the hotel room and service, like not having bedding for the fold out couch which was our "second bed". (first room was just a king size bed, no fold out couch even, for 4 people!) It took multiple calls to the front desk and over an hour waiting to get sheets and pillows at 9-10pm at night. I will also add that Hyatt Place free breakfast was not ideal. Every single person waiting for omlettes were waiting 20-30 minutes for one omlette, they even "lost" my husband's order despite him standing there the entire time, therefor not missing his name being called. We would never stay at that hotel again, despite the manager trying to make up for all the mistakes once I posted on tripadvisor how bad the stay was. I even remember that the hotel didn't even provide small bottles of lotion like practically every moderate range hotel does now. Probably the worst hotel stay I've ever had, definitely the worst for the amount we paid, even using hotwire.

Yeah that's pretty bad. I've never had a couch be the second bed on a Hotwire room. I did have it happen once at best western st. Christopher but it was a playoff game during a medical convention, prices were really crazy, and I booked it on last minute travel dot com. If it was a busy weekend it's possible they screwed up and gave your room away. I've never stayed at Hyatt place either. I think they used to be part of Hyatt Regency which has always been outstanding.

I think a cooked to order free breakfast is pretty rare. I've only seen that at embassy suites in New Orleans.

Trip advisor is a good resource. I review all of my stays on there. Make sure you post about the good stays and not just the bad ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint Greg

Hi Saint Greg [emoji4]

Thanks much for your help with our previous questions [emoji106]

Wanted to ask your opinion...

Looking at the following hotel on Hotwire:

3.5-star Hotel in Metairie - Harahan - Jefferson area

Fri, Dec 02 - Sun, Dec 04

1 Room, 2 Adults

Could this be the Marriott hotel?

Thanks much,

Joy