Hotels?

parttimr

Ok, I'm seeing everyone is getting amazing deals on Hotwire! I just checked, and for our dates, it seems I can get a 4* hotel in Downtown - Superdome area with a 95% approval rating for $128/night. The last person that booked got the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. Worth trying? The total for 2 rooms (3 nights) would be $980. Which is almost $500 less than what we're going to pay at the Hampton Inn...

Hyatt Regency is an amazing hotel. It's by the superdome. You'd want to get a streetcar pass to go to the French quarter if you stay there. That's $3/day per person for unlimited riding. And they sell a 3-day pass.

Hyatt Regency is an amazing hotel. It's by the superdome. You'd want to get a streetcar pass to go to the French quarter if you stay there. That's $3/day per person for unlimited riding. And they sell a 3-day pass.

Thank you for all your help! I'm completely unfamiliar with New Orleans - any idea what other hotel this might be? Here are the details, according to Hotwire:

95% recommended Amazing! (938 reviews) (2001+ reviews)

51% off

4-star hotel

$263* $128 per night

Hotel details

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

Business centerFitness centerGolf nearbyPool(s)Restaurant(s)Smoke-free rooms

Thank you for all your help! I'm completely unfamiliar with New Orleans - any idea what other hotel this might be? Here are the details, according to Hotwire:

51% off

4-star hotel

$263* $128 per night

Hotel details

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

The 4* downtown with 95% recommendation is usually Hyatt Regency. I don't think I've ever seen it with "golf" before. Le Pavillion sometimes has golf but it usually also has "Boutique". I think it's Hyatt Regency.

If you are wanting to stay closer to the French Quarter you may want to take a look at that 3.5* French Quarter-Bourbon Street for $129 with "Indoor Pool" as an amenity. The only hotel in that area I know of with an indoor pool is the Wyndham French Quarter. The location would be outstanding for your three days.

Keep in mind If you're booking on hotwire make sure you put 2 adults, 2 children in the room with the kids to ensure you get a two bed room.

51% off

4-star hotel

$263* $128 per night

Hotel details

Complimentary

Free Internet

Amenities

We were just in New Orleans in October 2016 we stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza right in the heart of New Orleans. We loved the location yet I must warn you that Bourbon Street is no place for children. I had been there once before and loved it I couldn't wait to go back. Well I was really shocked to see how bad it is now. So much filth, horrible smell, homeless drunks laying everywhere. I went with my children in their 20's and 30's and they said they will never go back. If you want to walk in that area with your husband I suggest you walk on Royal Street it runs parallel with Bourbon Street one block over. Jackson Square in the evening was pretty scary lots of passed out drunks all around the park. You also need to be very careful walking on those sidewalks and streets. There are huge cracks and missing chunks of sidewalks everywhere.

I can only imagine during Spring Break its going to be really bad. The lines to get into Café Du Monde were crazy long everyday except maybe late at night.

Since you are booked on a cruise just like we were I would suggest you find some things to do away from Bourbon Street like a swamp tour, and the aquarium.

Good luck I don't mean to be the gloom and doom I just want you to be prepared and not surprised.

The 4* downtown with 95% recommendation is usually Hyatt Regency. I don't think I've ever seen it with "golf" before. Le Pavillion sometimes has golf but it usually also has "Boutique". I think it's Hyatt Regency.

If you are wanting to stay closer to the French Quarter you may want to take a look at that 3.5* French Quarter-Bourbon Street for $129 with "Indoor Pool" as an amenity. The only hotel in that area I know of with an indoor pool is the Wyndham French Quarter. The location would be outstanding for your three days.

Keep in mind If you're booking on hotwire make sure you put 2 adults, 2 children in the room with the kids to ensure you get a two bed room.

__________________[/quote

Thank you! I was reading that Le Pavillion has had quite a bit of renovation work occurring, so maybe it's not worth the risk?

Do you feel the Hampton Inn and Suites on Carondelet Street is a good location (and off the beaten path enough for our children)? Perhaps I'll just keep that reservation...

I appreciate your insight!

We were just in New Orleans in October 2016 we stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza right in the heart of New Orleans. We loved the location yet I must warn you that Bourbon Street is no place for children. I had been there once before and loved it I couldn't wait to go back. Well I was really shocked to see how bad it is now. So much filth, horrible smell, homeless drunks laying everywhere. I went with my children in their 20's and 30's and they said they will never go back. If you want to walk in that area with your husband I suggest you walk on Royal Street it runs parallel with Bourbon Street one block over. Jackson Square in the evening was pretty scary lots of passed out drunks all around the park. You also need to be very careful walking on those sidewalks and streets. There are huge cracks and missing chunks of sidewalks everywhere.

I can only imagine during Spring Break its going to be really bad. The lines to get into Café Du Monde were crazy long everyday except maybe late at night.

Since you are booked on a cruise just like we were I would suggest you find some things to do away from Bourbon Street like a swamp tour, and the aquarium.

Good luck I don't mean to be the gloom and doom I just want you to be prepared and not surprised.

Hello Yvonne! Thanks for your input. While I've never been to New Orleans, I am sadly, expecting this. Our Spring Break is usually slightly off from the rest of the country, so I'm hoping we'll miss the worst of it (with regards to students). But I realize the homelessness and poverty is an ongoing and growing problem. So I appreciate the concern...Our kids have witnessed this in many places we've traveled before, but it doesn't help us relax as parents knowing there needs to be a heightened level of awareness for ourselves, our things and our kids!

Perhaps staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Carandolet Street is a good distance away? And, still relatively close to the aquarium and other sites?

__________________[/quote

Thank you! I was reading that Le Pavillion has had quite a bit of renovation work occurring, so maybe it's not worth the risk?

Do you feel the Hampton Inn and Suites on Carondelet Street is a good location (and off the beaten path enough for our children)? Perhaps I'll just keep that reservation...

I appreciate your insight!

If you're trying to stay away from the French Quarter....Carondelet turns into Bourbon Street about a block from that Hampton Inn. If you want to stay away from that I'd go Country Inn and Suites over Hampton. That would be a little further from the bourbon street action. I've stayed there a few times. They have a good free hot breakfast which makes it popular for families. Just a couple blocks from the riverwalk, riverwalk mall, aquarium.

If you look outside of those two I'd look in the warehouse district-convention center area. Closer to the port. Again close to the riverwalk mall. Children's museum, Mardi gras world, WWII museum. If I were coming for three days the WWII museum would definitely be on my list. Plan for 5 hours if you do go. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the executive level is worth it at the Hilton Riverside? It includes complimentary breakfast, evening hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar. Price difference is $70 from a standard 2 queen room to this room... family of 4, wondering if the breakfast option and evening snacks is worth the price difference.

Also, if we stay at Riverside and park the car in their lot, can we leave it the whole stay or will we be charged $40 a day? I'm planning on the Fulton Garage if they charge $40 a day.

Thanks!

Edited by vagabonder1

Looking at a 4 star hotel in French Quarter - Mississippi River area on Hotwire.

Does anyone know what hotel this would be? Rate is 125.00 per night. I am not familiar with New Orleans and need advise if this would be a good location.

Depends on the amenities they list. If it includes Tennis it's probably Hilton Riverside. If it includes Golf it's probably Le Meridian. If it doesn't have either of those it could be Omni Riverfront. In general the FQ-MS River hotels and warehouse district hotels are in good proximity to the port if that's what you consider a good location.

Saint Greg hello and thank you for all the help you given on this board, and hello to everybody too

We are going on the Dream out of NOLA in May and have a few questions?

We are flying in for a one night pre and post cruise, for some reason the weekend of May 13th there are two night minimum stays in NOLA and many are already all booked up, is there anything special going on that weekend there that is making the hotels book up this far in advance?

I did manage to get a decent rate (total price for a room) of $313 at the Monteleone, do you recommend this hotel and is it in a safe area?

I also was able to book the Royal Sonesta post cruise on May 21 and got an excellent rate because it is on sunday total rate of $272.6 but also have reservations at the Hotel Mazarin for $213.98 and the Four Points Sheraton bourbon balcony for $249. Which would you choose and why? I was leaning more on the RS because it was refurbished just a couple years ago but the Mazarin sounds nice then there is the 4 points which people claim is in the more crowded area around everything. Would like to hear what you would choose and why, if possible.

Money isn't the issue for us, it is what it is.

I originally had pre cruise reservations at the Hilton Riverside but reading trip advisor there were many negative reviews so cancelled that.

We want an authentic New Orleans meal, was looking at GW Fins, Upperline, Restaurant August, R'evolution, Emeril's, Muriels and Commanders place as well as others but its the typical more american meal....is there any restaurant where the locals go, and can you tell us of restaurants for true authentic creole/cajun dinner (price is no concern in fact we rather have a 4/5 star restaurant)?

What is the best place to get pralines and the best voodoo shop lol

Many thanks!

Just as an FYI - we were in NOLA for 4 days after a 14 day repo in November 2016 from Boston to .... We had the Friday Lunch at Restaurant August - it was really lovely and would do it again, but what blew it out of the water for us was GW Fins and then Upperline. We had Sunday Jazz Brunch at Muriels and loved it, their Gumbo was outstanding !!! We had reservations at Commanders but cancelled since by that time I was in total sensory overload.

We stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza and the restaurant in the hotel (Bourbon House) is operated by Dickie Brennan - it had a really great raw bar and fab Happy Hour which we took full advantage of - it's hard not to have a great meal in NOLA.

Saint Greg I need your advise. I'm cruising out of New Orleans on the Dream the weekend of Oct 27, 2017. I want to stay 2 days pre-cruise & leave out to sail on Oct. 29, 2017. What I found on Hotwire are these prices. Is there another event going on during this time in NOLA & that's why the hotels are pricey? Can you give me an idea what hotels are these? Thanks in advance!!!!

3.5* downtown/superdome 85% recommendation $226

4* downtown/superdome 75% recommendation $214

3.5* warehouse district 60% recommendation $$107

3.5 warehouse district 90% recommendation $198

3* downtown/superdome 85% recommendation $183

Saint Greg I need your advise. I'm cruising out of New Orleans on the Dream the weekend of Oct 27, 2017. I want to stay 2 days pre-cruise & leave out to sail on Oct. 29, 2017. What I found on Hotwire are these prices. Is there another event going on during this time in NOLA & that's why the hotels are pricey? Can you give me an idea what hotels are these? Thanks in advance!!!!

3.5* downtown/superdome 85% recommendation $226

4* downtown/superdome 75% recommendation $214

3.5* warehouse district 60% recommendation $$107

3.5 warehouse district 90% recommendation $198

3* downtown/superdome 85% recommendation $183

10/27-10/29 is Voodoo music festival. https://www.voodoofestival.com/

In about six weeks the NFL schedule will be announced. If the Saints end up with a home game that weekend expect prices to go higher.

Out of the hotels you listed the only ones I feel certain about are the 3.5* Warehouse District for $107 (Hotel Modern) and the 4* Downtown Superdome for $214 (Le Pavillon).

Thanks Saint Greg, in your opinion how are those hotels should I try to book one asap before the NFL schedule comes out?

Thanks!!!

10/27-10/29 is Voodoo music festival. https://www.voodoofestival.com/

In about six weeks the NFL schedule will be announced. If the Saints end up with a home game that weekend expect prices to go higher.

Out of the hotels you listed the only ones I feel certain about are the 3.5* Warehouse District for $107 (Hotel Modern) and the 4* Downtown Superdome for $214 (Le Pavillon).

Thanks Saint Greg, in your opinion how are those hotels should I try to book one asap before the NFL schedule comes out?

Thanks!!!

I'd probably book before the schedule is announced. Prices aren't likely to go down for that weekend. I booked it around July last year and everything was over $200.

It's been about 4 or 5 years since I stayed at Le Pavillon. It was nice. A unique thing about it was every night at like 9:30 they would have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and hot chocolate in the lobby. Like a peanut butter and jelly buffet...white or wheat. crunchy or creamy. strawberry or grape.

I've never stayed at Hotel Modern. I know it changed ownership last summer. It has 4 stars on trip advisor. Le Pavillon has 4.5....so both should be good enough.

If you want to be closer to the port. Hotel Modern is closer. If you want to be able to walk to the French Quarter, Le Pavillon is only 4-5 blocks away.

If you go with Hotel Modern there's a St. Charles streetcar stop a block away at St. Charles-St. Joseph. You can get an unlimited ride pass for $3/day. The WWII Museum is also just a block away...it's outstanding and a must see if you've never been.

We are cruising out of here this summer. We've never been to New Orleans before so we would like to spend a day or two here pre-cruise. We will be driving to the port so we will either need long term hotel parking/shuttle service or will park at the port. Anyone offer a good parking package or should we just plan to park at the port? What area should we look in? I don't even know what area we would like to see. French Quarter? We are Marriott reward members, but would consider other accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising out of here this summer. We've never been to New Orleans before so we would like to spend a day or two here pre-cruise. We will be driving to the port so we will either need long term hotel parking/shuttle service or will park at the port. Anyone offer a good parking package or should we just plan to park at the port? What area should we look in? I don't even know what area we would like to see. French Quarter? We are Marriott reward members, but would consider other accommodations.

It doesn't seem like there are many good park and cruise options. Most of the ones I've heard about aren't in the downtown area. Someone recently said they got a great deal on one at the Holiday Inn downtown...but I haven't seen the option on their website. I believe I've also heard of Prytania Park (I think) having a park n cruise if you stay two nights.

Most people either park at Fulton Garage or the port. I use Fulton. It's cheaper and has good shuttle service. Fulton is also cheaper if you book online ahead of time vs. pulling up the day of the cruise and paying.

www.neworleansparking.com

I have also heard of a couple people using this place.

www.machupicchutours.com

As for Marriott there's a Marriott Convention Center that is actually 1 block from Fulton Garage if that's the route you're going...and there's a Springhill Suites and a Courtyard behind it. If you're wanting to stay in the French Quarter area there are probably 20 hotels you can use Marriott rewards on including the Marriott and JW Marriott on Canal Street.

It doesn't seem like there are many good park and cruise options. Most of the ones I've heard about aren't in the downtown area. Someone recently said they got a great deal on one at the Holiday Inn downtown...but I haven't seen the option on their website. I believe I've also heard of Prytania Park (I think) having a park n cruise if you stay two nights.

Most people either park at Fulton Garage or the port. I use Fulton. It's cheaper and has good shuttle service. Fulton is also cheaper if you book online ahead of time vs. pulling up the day of the cruise and paying.

www.neworleansparking.com

I have also heard of a couple people using this place.

www.machupicchutours.com

As for Marriott there's a Marriott Convention Center that is actually 1 block from Fulton Garage if that's the route you're going...and there's a Springhill Suites and a Courtyard behind it. If you're wanting to stay in the French Quarter area there are probably 20 hotels you can use Marriott rewards on including the Marriott and JW Marriott on Canal Street.

Thanks! We usually park at the port anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Is Canal St in or near the French Quarter?

Thanks Saint Greg, I booked 4* French Qtr/Riverside its $230 per night Westin New Orleans Canal Place. Next time I will make sure I don't pick Halloween weekend the hotels were very overpriced. But glad it's over & ready to enjoy New Orleans:cool:

I'd probably book before the schedule is announced. Prices aren't likely to go down for that weekend. I booked it around July last year and everything was over $200.

It's been about 4 or 5 years since I stayed at Le Pavillon. It was nice. A unique thing about it was every night at like 9:30 they would have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and hot chocolate in the lobby. Like a peanut butter and jelly buffet...white or wheat. crunchy or creamy. strawberry or grape.

I've never stayed at Hotel Modern. I know it changed ownership last summer. It has 4 stars on trip advisor. Le Pavillon has 4.5....so both should be good enough.

If you want to be closer to the port. Hotel Modern is closer. If you want to be able to walk to the French Quarter, Le Pavillon is only 4-5 blocks away.

If you go with Hotel Modern there's a St. Charles streetcar stop a block away at St. Charles-St. Joseph. You can get an unlimited ride pass for $3/day. The WWII Museum is also just a block away...it's outstanding and a must see if you've never been.

Thanks Saint Greg, I booked 4* French Qtr/Riverside its $230 per night Westin New Orleans Canal Place. Next time I will make sure I don't pick Halloween weekend the hotels were very overpriced. But glad it's over & ready to enjoy New Orleans:cool:

Very nice! I've never seen the Westin on Hotwire. That's a great location. On Canal street, right by the riverwalk....and if there is a Saints home game that week, I believe that is the hotel the team stays in the night before home games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Saint Greg!

I found this thread after I booked!

Never been to Nola, going for two nights Post cruise. I booked 4* Hotwire business district (I think) and I got Omni Royal Creacent Hotel for $125. Looks like it has decent reviews. I didn't want to be in the middle of the crazy. Plan on doing casino, ww2 museum, maybe a tour.

How far from French quarter to check it out? Streetcar? I figure I can uber from

The ship or taxi?

Thanks in advance. I read this whole thread looking for comments re Omni (I guess there are a few in Nola) and didn't find anything.

Hi Saint Greg!

I found this thread after I booked!

Never been to Nola, going for two nights Post cruise. I booked 4* Hotwire business district (I think) and I got Omni Royal Creacent Hotel for $125. Looks like it has decent reviews. I didn't want to be in the middle of the crazy. Plan on doing casino, ww2 museum, maybe a tour.

How far from French quarter to check it out? Streetcar? I figure I can uber from

The ship or taxi?

Thanks in advance. I read this whole thread looking for comments re Omni (I guess there are a few in Nola) and didn't find anything.

I've stayed there but it's been a long time...maybe 7 years.

That's a good location. You're about 2 blocks from the casino. A block or two from canal street....cross over and you walk into the French Quarter. The WWII museum is a straight shot, 8 blocks in the other direction. I've walked it from country inn and suites which is around the corner from your hotel. If you want to take the streetcar instead you'd just have to walk a block over to St. Charles Ave.

I'd say taxi or uber would be your best bet getting to the port.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-orleans-tours/