Cabin booking question

chitownGib

Only our second cruise, not well versed at these things. NCL Getaway, 3/28 sailing.

We booked online - our reservation says Cabin 10788, MX. Seems by the elevators. Hoping for a bit more room on the balcony, as we'll be traveling with our 17 y.o.son.

How do we get a better selection? Oh, and also says Guarantee Mini-Suite, but in description says may have obstructed views, which we obviously do not want.

Recommendations?

Still waiting for my son's passport to check in, does this affect our cabin selection? Thanks!!

Edited by chitownGib

Passports have nothing to do with cabins you get or anything else on the ship.

If you have been assigned a cabin I doubt it will be changed. Look up your cabin on line and see exactly where it is. If you're not happy make a phone call and change it.

If you have a guaranteed room that means the ship will choose your cabin, not you. You will not have a smaller balcony if you're near the elevators. We like cabins there because they are close by and have never heard them at any time.

When you were booking a cabin, did you pick a certain cabin and paid a little more for it, or did you pick a guarantee - this means, it can be anywhere on the ship, whatever is left after other cruisers pick their cabins.

It looks, you picked a guarantee which means you will have the class of cabin picked or higher. You may try to call the cruise line and ask to be moved if other cabins are available. If the reservation was made through a travel agent, the agent should contact the cruise line.

You said you had a guarantee but gave your cabin number so your cabin has been assigned.

Google the cabin on cruise critic to see if anyone has made comments or left photos. You may keep checking with NCL to see if the price in the category you really want has been reduced. We were given a free upgrade right after the final payment but this is probably not typical unless there are a lot of cabins above you still waiting.

The only time I see passports as an issue is concerning filling out all your forms online. I did that once when I had a guarantee and got the room assignment the moment I clicked "done". They require you to enter the passports, so that is the only involvement in passports.

@ chitownGib

You have a mid-ship mini-suite near to but buffered from the elevators, on a deck with other staterooms above and below you. Keep your head down! This is a great cabin for a guarantee.

Agree with the comment about your son and the balcony. If he wants to lay out, it will be on the pool deck with others his age.

Get your steward to make his bed back into a sofa each day, so one and all of you will have a place to sit and perhaps a little more room (depending on if it makes a pull out or flip over bed).

If you really want more room, you have the ability to call NCL and ask about a paid upgrade. Know what you're willing to spend. Know what category is the minimum for what you want.

Also, although someone said once your room is assigned you're probably stuck with it, that isn't necessarily true. A guarantee is a crapshoot, the line can change your assignment as fits their (not your) purposes! If you decide you LIKE your current cabin after all, it wouldn't hurt to check it every day or two to make sure it hasn't changed -- sometimes changes can be un-done if caught quick enough.

Edited by crystalspin