NCL Epic First Timer

Trinnah

Hi Everybody! New member here.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, or if I'm even putting it in the right section.

I went on a cruise with my parents on Carnival to Cozumel over 13 years ago, so it's been a while. (And I was a whole lot younger and only responsible for myself at the time . . or maybe someone was responsible for me. Haha!)

We're booked to go on the NCL Epic Mediterranean on May 10, and we're finalizing our excursions. The Italy ports were easier to choose because we already had an idea of what we wanted to see and where to go.

However, I'm having a hard time with Cannes and Palma Majorca.

The excursion we wanted to do in Cannes is not available for this trip due to the fact that the Grand Prix (? I think) will be around the same time.

Does anybody have any ideas on what we should pick?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Travelers:

Me (29 yo)

Husband (33 yo)

Daughter (2 yo)

Mother In-Law (65 yo)

Father In-Law (67 yo)

Thank you in advance! :)

Edited by Trinnah

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, or if I'm even putting it in the right section.

I went on a cruise with my parents on Carnival to Cozumel over 13 years ago, so it's been a while. (And I was a whole lot younger and only responsible for myself at the time . . or maybe someone was responsible for me. Haha!)

We're booked to go on the NCL Epic Mediterranean on May 10, and we're finalizing our excursions. The Italy ports were easier to choose because we already had an idea of what we wanted to see and where to go.

The excursion we wanted to do in Cannes is not available for this trip due to the fact that the Grand Prix (? I think) will be around the same time.

Travelers:

Me (29 yo)

Husband (33 yo)

Daughter (2 yo)

Mother In-Law (65 yo)

Father In-Law (67 yo)

In Majorca they will have a cheap $5-$10 into town and you can wander around on your own if you like. I can't help you with Cannes, as I haven't been there yet.

I will be there in late June, and we may just wander around.

Probably not that helpful, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Palma is a lovely city to wander around in. There are a few public buses that run from outside of the port into the city centre and cost about 2e. Wander around the Cathedral and around the surrounding streets and Plazas. If you want a bite to eat or a drink I would recommend one of the smaller plazas off the main area as they will about half the price and twice the authenticity :)

You could take a taxi (6-8e) up to Castel Bellver (cheap entrance fees, incredible views, and a comprehensive history of the island) and then walk back down the hill to the ship - don't worry, it's easier to walk down than drive up. It probably takes 40mins to walk from the castle to the ship.

Some people really want to do a trip on the traditional train to the Port of Soller. It's definitely worth it, but not something I would do on my own given that it doesn't arrive until the afternoon. Plus, I don't think it's long enough to actually enjoy it.

If you want to just have a few hours on the beach then the nearest big public beach is the far side of the city. Alternatively Palma Nova has a lovely beach, it is about 30mins on the bus (3e each) or 15mins by taxi (20e)

I can't advise about Cannes yet - we go there for the first time this year - but we are currently just planning on wandering around the town soaking up the Film Festival atmosphere.

if you wander with the sea to your left in Cannes you will come to the old town with a walk up the hill to the old castle or fort from where you get some great views over the port

wandering along the beach front there is a line of very upmarket shops

really Cannes lends itself to just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere even when film festival isn't in town

if you wander with the sea to your left in Cannes you will come to the old town with a walk up the hill to the old castle or fort from where you get some great views over the port

really Cannes lends itself to just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere even when film festival isn't in town

I agree. We really enjoyed walking around Cannes for a few hours. The views from the Castle (which we got to with the sea on our right, so you can't really miss it) are great.

I agree, but one other thing that we enjoyed was the little train that takes you all around Cannes, What a great way to see the place....10 Euros for about an hour and a half...with running commentary about what you were seeing and a stop at the highest point for picture taking! Highly recommended!

Thank you so much for all the responses!

My husband had suggested that we just wander around these two ports/stops on our own also.

I think we might take everybody's advice!

I'm glad I joined the forum! :)

Travelers:

Me (29 yo)

Husband (33 yo)

Daughter (2 yo)

Mother In-Law (65 yo)

Father In-Law (67 yo)

Palma is walkable. The two Riviera sites we found most interesting were Eze and Grasse.

Edited by dinosaurdem
typo

Just one thing to consider on this cruise is that it can be very busy and a lot of people don't find enough time to do everything they want on the ship. You may want to leave those last couple of days unplanned, as you may just want to have a lazy day on the ship.

Cannes is good if you are just walking around, as you can do that and still have some time relaxing. Just be prepared that if you have had full days in Naples, Rome and Livorno then you may just need a rest.

In Majorca they will have a cheap $5-$10 into town and you can wander around on your own if you like. I can't help you with Cannes, as I haven't been there yet.

I will be there in late June, and we may just wander around.

Probably not that helpful, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Thank you! I like the idea of just wandering around Majorca so that at least we can just go our own pace. :)

Also, I think your response bumped up my post on the forum so that more people were able to see my inquiry, so definitely a thank you for that!

I hope you have a great time in Cannes! Maybe after we're done with our cruise, I'll be able to give you info about it.

Edited by Trinnah

Palma is a lovely city to wander around in. There are a few public buses that run from outside of the port into the city centre and cost about 2e. Wander around the Cathedral and around the surrounding streets and Plazas. If you want a bite to eat or a drink I would recommend one of the smaller plazas off the main area as they will about half the price and twice the authenticity :)

You could take a taxi (6-8e) up to Castel Bellver (cheap entrance fees, incredible views, and a comprehensive history of the island) and then walk back down the hill to the ship - don't worry, it's easier to walk down than drive up. It probably takes 40mins to walk from the castle to the ship.

Some people really want to do a trip on the traditional train to the Port of Soller. It's definitely worth it, but not something I would do on my own given that it doesn't arrive until the afternoon. Plus, I don't think it's long enough to actually enjoy it.

If you want to just have a few hours on the beach then the nearest big public beach is the far side of the city. Alternatively Palma Nova has a lovely beach, it is about 30mins on the bus (3e each) or 15mins by taxi (20e)

I can't advise about Cannes yet - we go there for the first time this year - but we are currently just planning on wandering around the town soaking up the Film Festival atmosphere.

Thank you! I've been reading quite a bit about the Cathedral there also, and I was a little interested in that one. My husband saw the winery excursion and is starting to lean more towards that, too. Are you familiar with that one? Is it worth it?

I hope you have a great time in Cannes!

We're a little hesitant to soak up the Grand Prix atmosphere because even when we called to book the other 3 excursions, they told us that it's going to be a really busy time. Hopefully, it won't be too much so that at least we can still enjoy without having too worry about a bigger than usual crowd.

Edited by Trinnah

Thank you! We'll keep that in mind also! :)

Edited by Trinnah

I agree, but one other thing that we enjoyed was the little train that takes you all around Cannes, What a great way to see the place....10 Euros for about an hour and a half...with running commentary about what you were seeing and a stop at the highest point for picture taking! Highly recommended!

Do you just book the little train when you arrive in Cannes or is it something that we should try to inquire about ahead of time?

Thank you!

Edited by Trinnah

Palma is walkable. The two Riviera sites we found most interesting were Eze and Grasse.

I believe Eze & Nice were still available on the excursion list but the Grasse was on a different one. I will have to look into this one more.

Thanks!

Edited by Trinnah

Just one thing to consider on this cruise is that it can be very busy and a lot of people don't find enough time to do everything they want on the ship. You may want to leave those last couple of days unplanned, as you may just want to have a lazy day on the ship.

Cannes is good if you are just walking around, as you can do that and still have some time relaxing. Just be prepared that if you have had full days in Naples, Rome and Livorno then you may just need a rest.

Thank you for that advice. It's definitely something to consider because the last time I was on a cruise, I had all the energy in the world for everything and anything. Now, a little older with a toddler, I might just need a relaxing day after 3 back to back excursions.

Edited by Trinnah

i am also doing this cruise on may 31. yes it seems that naples, rome and livorno are going to be very exhausting days but in cannes, is it worth going to eze and monte carlo? also has anyone done the hop on hop off bus in palma?

I think I've seen people talking about that on other parts of the forum too.

I'm not too familiar with the lingo, so I was a little confused. It's HOHO, right?

I hope someone responds to your question so that I can get a little more info about it as well.

Edited by Trinnah