Cannes day ideas

Jenna1983

Half of us traveling together have been to Marseille, so we aren't feeling as if we must "stay" in Cannes (I know we must tender in too). Some have expressed interest in visiting the countryside, but since I've only spent time in Paris/Marseille I cannot comment on how accessible the French countryside is from Cannes. Are there specific cities or areas accessible from Cannes that would offer this experience?

Thanks so much :)

Half of us traveling together have been to Marseille, so we aren't feeling as if we must "stay" in Cannes (I know we must tender in too). Some have expressed interest in visiting the countryside, but since I've only spent time in Paris/Marseille I cannot comment on how accessible the French countryside is from Cannes. Are there specific cities or areas accessible from Cannes that would offer this experience?

Thanks so much :)

Read doen this board as there is some recent postings re your same question...lots of info here about Cannes.

Much depends on your "spirit of adventure" and personal level of comfort. Are you willing to rent a car and drive yourselves (lots of options)? Do you want to just use public transit (bus and/or train)? Are you willing to spend the money to hire a private driver/guide?

You options do depend a lot on the above questions. But some areas of interest within a port day range of Cannes would be Antibes, Nice, Monte Carlo, St Paul de Vence, Grasse, Eze Village, and more. As to the countryside there are a lot of roads all going to different areas :).

Hank

Much depends on your "spirit of adventure" and personal level of comfort. Are you willing to rent a car and drive yourselves (lots of options)? Do you want to just use public transit (bus and/or train)? Are you willing to spend the money to hire a private driver/guide?

You options do depend a lot on the above questions. But some areas of interest within a port day range of Cannes would be Antibes, Nice, Monte Carlo, St Paul de Vence, Grasse, Eze Village, and more. As to the countryside there are a lot of roads all going to different areas :).

Hank

There are eight of us, so I believe we would really prefer to do a private tour for ease or train. My French is fairly decent but I will have seven other people with varying capabilities with me. I truly believe the more country the better we would prefer. I will start to research those cities too. I noticed some tours with private companies but everything mentioned hotel.

You can do a string of towns just by using the train. A lot of people inthe tourist towns speak English so that should not be a problem.There are quite a few private tours just for the day that do not invlove hotels at all...some or all are listed on this board if you look through the pages.You pay for the car...in you case the van with 8.Cruising in the Med is so very different from the Caribe.

The train runs along the shore. You will not be seeing any "country", just beautiful, urban towns.

There is a train that goes from Nice straight up into the "arriere-pays" (back country). It is the Petit Train de Pignes. It is a lot of fun and you will really see the countryside. It may or may not fit with your schedule, but here is the link:

http://www.trainprovence.com/

Other than that, if you do want to go into the country/hill towns, you need a car.