Alaska Fishing in August

alfobeasly

We were wondering which way to go on Fishing in Alaska. Is it best to book the fishing excursion through the ship or through a private charter. How many are on a Fishing boat if booked through the ship? We are mostly interested in the Halibat Fishing via Royal Caribbean excursion. Any insite would be welcome.

Thank you,

We were wondering which way to go on Fishing in Alaska. Is it best to book the fishing excursion through the ship or through a private charter. How many are on a Fishing boat if booked through the ship? We are mostly interested in the Halibat Fishing via Royal Caribbean excursion. Any insite would be welcome.

Thank you,

It depends on how long you want to fish. The ships tours (at least on Royal) are only 3 1/2 hours. My husband wanted a full day with less people so I looked into booking privately. It also depends on the port. We wanted a full day at Icy Straight. I called every operator and they were either full or only doing whale watches when the ships were in port. We already had plans for the other port stops but since we are staying a week on land after, we booked a full day in Seward.

Are you just cruising? Halibut is tricky on the inside passage, and if a priority, then you need to booking direct and find a vendor. Most inside passage fishing is salmon, and if you book a ship tour- this is going to be very likely.

Verify with the Alaska Fish and game charts the best places. Homer is definitely halibut fishing if, you happen to be going there.

Thank you for the feedback. I should have mentioned the ports we would be in. We will be cruising from Seward to Vancouver, ports are: Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait and Ketchikan. Taking our boys, and they want to go Halibut fishing, Was mostly wondering about Ketchikan, but from what I can see Icy Strait also has fishing.

Thank you for the feedback. I should have mentioned the ports we would be in. We will be cruising from Seward to Vancouver, ports are: Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait and Ketchikan. Taking our boys, and they want to go Halibut fishing, Was mostly wondering about Ketchikan, but from what I can see Icy Strait also has fishing.

You should try and fish for Halibut in Seward. Fishing is better there and they go out of Ressurection Bay which is just beautiful. Been doing that for 15+ years.I use Northern Outfitters which is a nice boat for the boys to fish from. Google them to find their e-mail address and book early!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:):):)

I agree, Seward is going to be a good option for halibut, other port likely would be Hoonah. I suggest you contact vendors and inquire. Be well prepared for added costs, if you plan on keeping your catch. The benefit of Seward- depending on your scheduling is the ability to take your catch with you, home, on the plane.

Depending on how long you are in Seward, they have nice options. We are going with Puffin Charters for a full day halibut/salmon/rockfish. They had said they don't book strictly halibut anymore. We are also going to order our fishing license ahead of time online since we are fishing on two different days - one on the bay and one in the river.